INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problematic tracks  (Read 2094 times)

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
Problematic tracks
« on: June 19, 2008, 09:46:29 am »

I have one particular album which is giving me problems on my iPod Classic.  All the tracks play perfectly in MC, but when I play them on the iPod, most - but not all - of them end prematurely and the iPod skips on to the next track.  Some play about a minute, some only a few seconds, and some play in their entirity.

I've tried deleting and re-sync'ing them, to no avail.  I've even reset the iPod from MC, but the problem persists.  Given that they're all from the same album, I suspect that something may have gone a little awry during the ripping process, but I'm puzzled that MC can play them all just fine.

Any ideas?  I guess the real solution would be to re-rip the album, but I'm not sure where it's wound up in the mess that is my office!  Is there a simple (and free) tool that can diagnose and/or repair the mp3 files?

SwellGuy

Re: Problematic tracks
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:59:19 am »

It may be bad gapless information. What encoder did you use? You can either try re-ripping the files or send us (rick at jriver dot com) a couple of the files to test.

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:33:17 am »

It may be bad gapless information. What encoder did you use? You can either try re-ripping the files or send us (rick at jriver dot com) a couple of the files to test.
I don't recall what I used to rip them - it was over five years ago when the album first came out.  EncSpot identifies it as "Gogo (after 3.0)".  I'll shoot you a couple of examples, both of which stop within the first 30 seconds on the iPod.

SwellGuy

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 02:22:27 pm »

If you transfer those same files with iTunes it does the same thing. You're going to have to re-rip that album.

See this link http://forums.ilounge.com/showpost.php?p=1174238&postcount=35

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 02:51:46 pm »

Thanks, Rick.  I'll have a rummage for the original CD, but if I have no luck then I wonder if I could use MC to convert the mp3's to .wav or some other lossless format, then back to mp3 again.  I realize there would be some loss of fidelity involved, but it might be a workable trade-off if I can't lay my hands on the original media.

SwellGuy

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 02:58:29 pm »

I tried just setting the handheld option to Always Convert (MP3 encoder), it converted the file during transfer and now it plays fine.

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 03:12:31 pm »

Cool, that's a workable solution too, especially if one is already re-encoding to a lower quality to reduce the file size on the iPod.  (I don't have a large enough library for that to be a problem yet.)  I'll probably re-encode them on my server so I don't have to remember to fudge the conversion process if I ever need to re-sync them in the future.

Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up