INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: odd ipod sync behavior in 12.0.518  (Read 1390 times)

matsukaze ninja

• Recent member
odd ipod sync behavior in 12.0.518
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:04:45 am »

I'm seeing fairly consistently inconsistent behavior when syncing mp3s to an ipod (classic) running the 1.1.2 firmware.

The general problem is that I run a sync, then immediately after finishing, I do a "recheck sync" and it sometimes comes up with more files it wants to sync.

The latest go was paying more attention.  I wiped the ipod all the way back to the point where I need to re-enter my preferences like language and so on using itunes.  Then did a sync, so it copied over my entire library.  Immediately did a re-check sync and it reported about four Pink Floyd albums that it said it needed to sync.  So I hit "recheck" again.  This time there were those Pink Floyd albums, plus two more unrelated albums.  So, hit "recheck" again.  Okay, back to just the four Pink Floyd albums.  At this point, every "recheck" gives me the same set of albums that it wants to sync.

So I went ahead and let it run.  Then I noticed in the list after it finished that the albums appeared twice.  Checked the ipod.  Sure enough, they're there under artist Pink Floyd, and there again under "Unknown Artist". 

I can only find the one Pink Floyd instance in Media Center.

matsukaze ninja

• Recent member
Re: odd ipod sync behavior in 12.0.518
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 01:31:27 am »

I tried the sync again, and it came up with another couple of albums that it wanted to sync, even though they are "on" the ipod.  Interestingly, they are related, sort of:

Album Name: Misa Criolla
Artist: Ariel Ramirez

and

Album Name: Misa Criolla (w/Jose Carreras)
Artist: Ariel Ramirez

(These are different albums).

I do note that the versions that are "On Device" are missing the Genre tag information.  So MC wants to sync the tagged versions of the songs.  Just like with the earlier Pink Floyd, where the missing tag information was the Artist.

It seems like MC is not getting confused about the information it's getting back from the ipod?  Or the ipod is not correctly reporting the information it has?  I do note that currently on the ipod, the two above albums are in fact classified under the correct genre, so the "On Device" entry showing no genre is incorrect.

Glenn

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: odd ipod sync behavior in 12.0.518
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 04:12:01 am »

The general problem is that I run a sync, then immediately after finishing, I do a "recheck sync" and it sometimes comes up with more files it wants to sync.

I was noticing this quite often a few months ago (last reported in the 390 thread.)  I was never been able to see any pattern to when it happens -- it just seemed to happen from time to time randomly.  At least one other poster reported the same issue back in December, which appears to be the last time I reported it as well.  I haven't noticed it recently, but it struck me that this report sounded a lot like what I was seeing back then.  I haven't yet tried a sync with 518, so I was wondering if this issue had returned in a recent build.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up