INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some CDs don’t work in MC12  (Read 1798 times)

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
Some CDs don’t work in MC12
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:56:48 am »

I recently started having a weird problem with some CDs in MC12.  A finalized CD-R with redbook audio that plays without problems in WMP will not play in MC12 giving the error “The media types of the selected files are not supported for playback. (<none>).  The files are listed as .CDA files like normal, I have tried analog playback and checked that there are no directshow filters for CDA files.  The log doesn't show anything interesting to my eyes, not even an error reported.

There could be more than MC12 involved in the problem, however my standard for this is if it plays in all other media players on my system but not MC12, I want to start by figuring out what’s wrong/different in MC12.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Some CDs don’t work in MC12
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:16:12 am »

Are you able to rip from the CD in Media Center?  Does this happen with multiple CDs?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:21:48 am »

No, ripping doesn't work (that's actually what I'm trying to accomplish).  I had intermittent problems with other CDs recently but they were fixed by uninstalling SP1.  This one's symptoms have persisted just in MC and are more specific in nature.

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 01:39:38 pm »

Try making the "Mediatype" column visible (right-click on column headers and choose "Mediatype). It should say "Audio" for the CD tracks mediatype. If not, try changing them to Audio and see if you can play and rip it ok.

I'm not sure how they could have ended up with a blank mediatype. Did you burn these with MC12?

- John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 02:27:29 pm »

I changed Mediatype to audio, but the files still refuse to play/rip.  The CD was actually burned in a dedicated studio-type CD recorder.  I've had no problems with many other CDs burned from this deck.  Is there any possibility that the CD was inserted while I was still having driver problems under Vista SP1 and the MC database for these tracks were screwed up?  If so, how can I delete the db entries for this CD? (I already tried pressing delete and that did nothing).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 02:42:14 pm »

I changed Mediatype to audio, but the files still refuse to play/rip.  The CD was actually burned in a dedicated studio-type CD recorder.  I've had no problems with many other CDs burned from this deck.  Is there any possibility that the CD was inserted while I was still having driver problems under Vista SP1 and the MC database for these tracks were screwed up?  If so, how can I delete the db entries for this CD? (I already tried pressing delete and that did nothing).

It's possible.

Try creating a new test library using File > Library > Library Manager.

Also, make sure you have the newest build from the top of this board.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:57:21 pm »

OK, that was it.  The CD info is corrupted somehow in my main library.  Everything played/ripped as per normal in the test library. 

Now, is there any way to fix/remove that data in the main library.  It won't be the end of the world for this particular CD if I can't, but it would be nice to know how if it came up again for one that would matter.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:09:45 pm »

OK, that was it.  The CD info is corrupted somehow in my main library.  Everything played/ripped as per normal in the test library. 

Now, is there any way to fix/remove that data in the main library.  It won't be the end of the world for this particular CD if I can't, but it would be nice to know how if it came up again for one that would matter.

Try [Shift]+[Delete] on the CD files, and delete them.

You might have to make a smartlist with ~d=a and erase them there if that doesn't work.

Also, are you using the latest build?  Build 518 had a library bug that we quickly fixed, so please make sure you're using the latest.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 07:30:20 pm »

Yep, the smartlist thing cleared it up.  Now that CD works in the main library too.  Thanks!  I'll have to remember that trick.  BTW- What is ~d=a?  I don't find the =a modifier in the WIKI

I am on 520 and am usually on the very latest version at all times ever since I got on the Yahoo! feeds thing working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up