INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Find & Replace copies files when change to filename?  (Read 1157 times)

JONCAT

Find & Replace copies files when change to filename?
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:58:35 am »

Why does Find & Replace run on filename for changing location from I:\ to J:\ try to copy files via Explorer?

This is a simple file renaming done in MC library. The library was intact during rename meaning that I only copied the files, so the library wasn't missing the files in question.

Is this by design?

Now I have an explorer prompt that won't let me say No or Yes to all for 1000K files!

I copied an entire folder with Explorer, and then ran find & Replace rather than re-import. This used to work fine; the fields would be changed and simply point to the new location.

Maybe I should have used MC, to move/copy the folder in the first place but this is just plain confusing.

DC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Find & Replace copies files when change to filename?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:15:26 am »

If you change the filename field in Media Center, it moves the physical disk file.

The "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" tool gives you more flexible options if you need them (including find and replace).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:18:59 am »

A few comments:

Changing location is best done with the 'new' copy, move, rename tool (not sure whether I got it in the right order.) It's really what it's designed for.
Having been bitten a couple of times by a problem during an MC internal move, I often just rename the files' location with the tool, and do the move within Windows Explorer. That way I know I won't lose any tag info.

I've read that you can sometimes force a yes/no to all by holding the shift key. I may be going senile, and that might be a Macintosh-specific trick from the old days!

EDIT: So I got the tool's name completely in reverse order. :)

JONCAT

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:20:36 am »

Okay thanks, I just haven't done this since it changed so I was a bit confused.

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up