INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The MC Dr. Who thread (Midnight Chills)  (Read 3995 times)

JONCAT

The MC Dr. Who thread (Midnight Chills)
« on: June 17, 2008, 09:01:36 am »

fitbrit said:

O.T. P.S. Midnight was very good - pretty chilling (spoiler ahead ==>), but the hostess sacrifice was completely out of character and out of the blue too.
I agree about the Hostess; quite out of character. It seems Davies has good story lines but they often need to be "salvaged".

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: The MC Dr. Who thread (Midnight Chills)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 10:17:15 am »

fitbrit said:I agree about the Hostess; quite out of character. It seems Davies has good story lines but they often need to be "salvaged".

Yes, agreed. The whole episode could have been outstanding, but for a small detail. Skye could have been pushed out almost as easily. Also, how did the doctor regain himself? Just because Skye was thrown out? Is it a proximity thing? It could be... which is why she wanted him dead - to make the change permanent.
Something  tells me it'll be back.
I love the Rose scene on the screen! Can't wait for the rest of the series. I guess it's going to be one big story for the remaining episodes like season 3?

Also, the doctor doesn't like people imitating accents, but this time at the end of the episode he was more grave about insisting Donna does not. Is that because of a sense of foreboding, or because it reminded him too much of the recent ordeal, what with Skye repeating, imitating and assimilating?

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 11:40:44 am »

I prefered the library episode.  That was really good!
Next weeks looks interesting too!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 11:59:39 am »

I prefered the library episode.  That was really good!
Next weeks looks interesting too!

Definitely! Doc Cil and I discussed it via PMs - that was some great work by the writer Stephen Moffat (sp?), who also wrote last season's Blink and the Lost Child from the Ecclestone series.

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 12:12:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure the rest of this season is written by Davies, but next year....look out! I have high hopes, and I already like Davies work on the whole.

DC

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 12:31:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure the rest of this season is written by Davies, but next year....look out! I have high hopes, and I already like Davies work on the whole.

DC

From what I gather there won't be a 'season' as such in 2009 - only a few specials. A regular season and Moffat will resume in 2010.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 11:02:49 pm »

I've read that the new episode "Turn Left" is a 'wow'. I probably won't see it until Tuesday, so please discuss without spoilers if you want.... I'll probably not be able to wait and grab a low quality version in the meantime anyway.  :D

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 07:49:56 am »

I personally wasn't that impressed... However Next weeks really does look WOW!!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 10:47:30 am »

I personally wasn't that impressed... However Next weeks really does look WOW!!

I finally saw it, and I was impressed... except the cheapo animatronic beetle model they used. Still, they have to keep within budget. It was cool to see the consequences of the doctor dying, but also how the world managed to cope to an extent with Sarah Jane Smith and Torchwood there to help.
By the way, do you guys watch the Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood? SJA is even more for younger kids, and Torchwood is very much for adults, but it seems it'll all come together next week. SJ's kid friends from the show, Maria, Clyde and Adam (?) all died with SJ in the hospital in the Doctorless universe evidently. If you didn't watch the SJA series you wouldn't have recognised the names from the news bulletin excerpt. Can't wait until the next episode; I wonder what role the Jidoon (rhinos) play?

JONCAT

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 09:35:09 pm »

All I have to say is omg. I'm not going to risk any spoilers since America technically hasn't seen episode 12 or 13 yet.

I'm about to watch 13 and I'm just floored.

Davies is going out with a bang!

I want to check out Torchwood, and will very soon.

GREAT acting (Tennant & Tate):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A

DC

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 12:33:37 am »

I haven't seen Journey's End yet and I won't until Monday. I got a notificiation that this thread had been replied to, and I saw "OMG". I had to avert my eyes to avoid spooilers! To those who've seen it, I hope it was great and worth the wait. I'll return to the thread here once I've joined you in having viewed the latest episode.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 02:55:26 am »

Was a really good episode :-)

JONCAT

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 12:29:15 pm »

Well.....my lovely wife enticed me away from the season finale and I have yet to watch it.

It looks as though it may be a double length episode....?!

DC

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 01:30:02 pm »

Well.....my lovely wife enticed me away from the season finale and I have yet to watch it.

It looks as though it may be a double length episode....?!

DC

No, it was 65 minutes long including title credits. I was mostly incredibly impressed, overlooking one or two annoying stupidites  as usual, that prevent it from being 'perfect'. However, since it's really a kids' show, I let it pass.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 12:41:07 pm »

Have you seen it yet, Dr. Cil? WOuld love to knwo what you thought, so we can start posting spoilers. :)

JONCAT

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 12:43:04 pm »

I'm super busy today and already on the PC way too much. How about you start?

I watched it last night.  Overall I enjoyed it, but something was missing.....maybe I'm depressed about not having a job LOL

DC

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 12:46:13 pm »

Overall, I liked the finale a lot.
What I loved:

Daleks speaking German. I had to translate the German bits for my wife.

I did like the Doctor Rose ending. It was done very neatly, as life-long companionship is something the Doctor could never offer. Now he can*.

Failed attempt to backfire the reality bomb. That would have been too easy, although I did wonder whether the device would be activated by its own destruction and that the 'failure' was planned all along.

Donna's 'Death'. Somewhat controversial, but in the end she is no worse off than if she'd never met the Doctor - without the 'Turn Left' consequences. I lved the nonchalance with which she dismissed the Doctor. Great writing/acting.

The prospect of Mickey on Torchwood. I've always loved Mickey and his underdog character. I've felt sorry for him and the way Rose has treated him over the years. I think he'll be great on Torchwood.

Dalek Caan. No need to elaborate I'm sure.

Davros. Great performance, effects and voice. A thoroughly believable nemesis.

Doctor 10b had the 'humanity' to commit genocide.
Doctor 9(?) had done this before, but he felt he had no choice and regretted having to have made this decision. Doctor 10b just did it. Nice follow-on from the ruthless protrayal of humans in Midnight.

What I wasn't too thrilled about:

Towing the Earth. Ugh! Should have just written that the power from the Torchwood rift etc. allowed the Earth to tap into he Tardis' drive and be transported back to its normal solar orbit. Nice of the moon to not drift off too far as well. Really poor physics, with a few bookcases toppling over while the Earth was pulled along at relativistic speeds (not to mention the initial acceleration) to get it back where it belonged.

The sheer existence of a master control panel that can disable the Daleks and the Reality Bomb. Sure it took a TIme Lord's intelligence, but it was a bit too easy and anti-climactic. I have to keep telling myself that the show is aimed at kids too.

The ability of the Daleks - and everyone else for that matter, it seemed - to instantly contact anyone else, anywhere, with full audio and video. Just how did Jack Mickey and Sarah Jane avoid detection in that little chamber, yet instantly get put through to the vault to threaten the Daleks with the Warp Star? If the Daleks could so easily teleport Martha to the Crucible, why couldn't they as quickly teleport Donna to the vacuum of space once she was a threat? I wish they wouldn't introduce concepts and then be selective about their usage as convenient.

The duration of the show.
It was obvious that RTD had come up with some great conclusions to wrap up loose storylines, give the viewers something like what they wanted and leave on a tidy ending to his tenure. I am certain he could have done it to even higher satisfaction if the show ahd been given a feature length run time of 90 minutes or so. Corners wouldn't have been cut,
greetings and goodbyes would have been more complete, and we would have been happier.

Final thoughts/comments:

I'm pretty sure that the Doctor used the regenerative energy to heal and curtailed the process there. It's still Doctor 10 in my books.

The BBC really needs to get its act together and start shooting/broadcasting DW in HD, and Confidentials too, please.

I can't wait for the specials and the next series!

*I think though, that after a couple of years of living together, they'll get tired of each others' crap and the constant bills to pay, the bickering over how they never save the Universe any more and how the 'real' Doctor probably had more stamina (two hearts help, you know). Sorry everyone. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up