INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library shows some tracks twice  (Read 2054 times)

pwunder

Library shows some tracks twice
« on: February 22, 2008, 11:53:25 am »

Hallo,

I have just installed MediaJukebox and started playing around a bit. Wow, after a long search I think I have found the perfect application. The first application with good library capability.

Ok, but after importing my two folders I figured out that some of my songs are shown twice in the list. It says that there are 3055 files in the library. But I only have 2173 on my disk. How to get rid of this double entries?

Regards, Peter

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Library shows some tracks twice
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 12:52:49 pm »

Welcome to the forum Peter,

There must be an explanation for the duplicates.

Do you have any playlists, cue files, apl files or other related stuff in the same folders? How exactly did you import the files? Did you use the Auto-Import tool or some of the other import methods?

Could you check the Filename field value (inside the library) of a few duplicate files? Do the duplicates have exactly identical filenames and paths?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pwunder

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 02:15:56 pm »

Hallo,

The entries are completely the same. I did use the import via File/Library/Import Folder.

I have found another thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=587.0 mentioning a problem with Windows Explorer. Recently I have moved some folders. Could it be the same problem, the thread is pretty old. But I don't know how to get rid of it because I think there is no way to clean up the library anymore.

Regards, Peter

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 03:05:26 pm »

That thread is very old and the current program version is very different. The Media Center board would be a better source for info. The available features in MJ12 are mostly identical with the same features in MC12.

The directory path would be different if you moved the files outside MJ12 and imported again. Do you have the Auto-Import feature enabled?

Could you post a few examples of the duplicated full filename paths? Like:
D:\Music\Pink Floyd\Animals (20th Anniversary Edition)\03 - Pigs (Three Different Ones).mp3

However, maybe you could just clear the library and try reimporting. Assuming you have a new library you probably don't have much to lose yet. (File > Library > Clear Library...)

Alternatively, as a test, you could create another library in a different location with Library Manager (File > Library > Library Manager) and try importing.

Disable the the Auto-Import feature if you don't intend to use it and be careful that you select only the file types you need. Untick the playlist formats and all other unnecessary file formats. (Press the Advanced button for accessing the file type options in the import dialog window.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pwunder

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 01:42:29 am »

Hallo Alex,

I have the 'Run auto-import in background' enabled.

Trust me, the filename paths are exactly the same like
F:\002\House\Blaze - Funky people.mp3
F:\002\Chill out\Air - Modular Mix.mp3

and so on...

I do not have a single playlist, so this is not the problem. I also have only imported mp3 files - no other file format.

To create a new library and restore the 'old' in it does not help. When I make a fresh import the problem does not occur. But in my 'old' library I'm not able to get rid of the duplicates.

Another related question. Is it possible to update the library with an external program. Maybe some SQL similar commands?

Regards, Peter

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 04:22:39 am »

I can only guess that something unexpected happened when you imported the files for the first time. I hope it was a one-time incident (seems like that if you cannot reproduce the problem with a new library).

I assume you have a reason to not use a new library with freshly imported files.

Here is how you can remove the duplicates if the filenames are really identical:

Create a new smartlist that shows the files that have duplicate filenames:

Create another smartlist that removes all duplicates from the first smartlist:

Select all files in the latter smartlist and press Delete. Select "Remove from Media Library" in the confirmation dialog box.

pwunder

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 10:11:25 am »

Thanks for help. Regards, Peter

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:35:20 am »

Just a quickie to let you know I have the same problem.

Auto import was on. No playlists.

Got a duplicate of every song.

jleebullock

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 12:11:28 am »

Hello.  I have been having this issue for some time now.  I have tried running auto-import on a fresh install of MJ, and it always adds duplicates of every single track.  I do not have any playlist files, and the filenames are exactly the same.   I followed the steps suggested above and created two smartlists for the dupes.  When I went into the remove duplicates smartlist and deleted all of the files listed it removed most of the duplicate files, but it also removed entire albums from my library.  Is the duplicate file issue caused by the auto-import feature?  If so, would it be best to leave auto import off, and import each folder manually? Any advice would be appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up