INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: album year  (Read 1572 times)

kilgoretrout

• Recent member
album year
« on: July 07, 2008, 05:16:39 pm »

Hi, I have just imported an entire library from iTunes into MC12. All of my albums were tagged with the year the album was produced in the appropriate field in iTunes. However, upon importing my library, this information has disappeared on all tracks. Displaying all tags in the tag view confirms that this information is nowhere to be found. How Can I restore this information?

JONCAT

Re: album year
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:14:51 pm »

This thread should answer all your questions.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46859.msg321611#msg321611

Welcome!

so it goes....
DC

kilgoretrout

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 08:17:44 pm »

I don't think we're talking about the same things. That thread mentions Last Played Date. MC12 imports the Last Played Date perfectly on my system. The problem I am having is not with a timestamp, but rather the year the album was released, which expressed as simply as '1999' in the Year field in the xml file that iTunes exports to indicate the year the Red Hot Chili Pepper's Californication album came out.

On a side note, I see you're familiar with the origins of my user name. Cheers to you for that

jplandry

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:17:59 pm »

I too have been having problems importing iTunes libraries, but I've been having problems with different fields  (see here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47191.0).  I really hope J River gets these problems solved quickly.  I'm sure it's tricky business reverse engineering a proprietary file that Apple can change at the drop of a hat, but I think J River will greatly benefit if they make transitioning from iTunes (current versions especially) as smooth as possible.  iTunes is very restrictive and clunky for power users (especially those who don't want to bother to learn how to write scripts; why should we have too?), and Apple has lost sight of the core experience: collecting Music.  J River seems like the best alternative on Windows, but given the learning curve inherent in a complex program such as Media Center, they should make getting started as painless as possible.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:36:38 pm »

If you have an iTunes playlist that doesn't import properly using the newest version of Media Center, please email a copy to matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kilgoretrout

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 04:45:07 pm »

I have sent an email with the an attached playlist as you asked. Actually, it's two emails because I forgot to include the attachment in the first.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:52:27 pm »

Thanks for the mail.  I can reproduce the year not showing up.  We'll fix it.

Lyrics aren't stored in the playlist, so you're out of luck there.  However, lyrics can be stored in the tags of many formats, so doing "Update Library (from tags)" may pull those in.

kilgoretrout

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:50:10 pm »

Thanks. I've found that the "Update Library (from tags)" function also fixes the issue with the Year tag, so this can be an easy fix for others before it is fixed in a new version.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 12:28:17 pm »

In a version of the player that should be available later this week:

Fixed: iTunes playlist importing could fail on some playlists.
Fixed: iTunes playlist importing didn't properly support Asian characters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up