INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play videos from rar-archives?  (Read 2591 times)

NsiK_Fh8

• Recent member
Play videos from rar-archives?
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:58:12 pm »

Hi, I really love this media player because it has anything you can ask for and are like all the good media players like Winamp, VLC, WMP, etc. put together.

The thing is that for my Xbox I use the cool media player, XBMC (Xbox Media Center) and like J River Media Center it's a fantastic piece of equipment but with two pluses. The first (as the thread is questioning about) is that it can play media put inside rar-archives, even the archives that's separated in many small files. I wonder if there's any chance I can make J River Media Center do this?

The second plus is that XBMC can play music in the format of it, mod and xm which most of tracked and cheap music are in today.

Thanks in advance.

/Hannes D.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Play videos from rar-archives?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 06:49:07 am »

The first (as the thread is questioning about) is that it can play media put inside rar-archives, even the archives that's separated in many small files. I wonder if there's any chance I can make J River Media Center do this?

That'd be fairly cool but I think the performance would be terrible.  You have to "unzip" them first.  If you want a great, completely free program to handle RAR, ZIP, and all the others, I strongly recommend ZipGenius.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 08:40:38 am »

You might look into APE or FLAC for lossless compression of audio.  RAR and ZIP aren't very good by comparison.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:28:29 am »

There may be a way, although I have not yet tested it.

Install winmount (www.winmount.com)

Then, search on these forums for how to play a movie from an ISO file. I believe the instructions for this can be used to guide you on using winmount to mount a rar, zip etc file and play the contents.

You might look into APE or FLAC for lossless compression of audio.  RAR and ZIP aren't very good by comparison.
True, but rar has the option of a recovery record in case of corruption, and it has the appeal of being able to store an album in a single file (until we get the option of embedded CUE file support in MC ;) )

gappie

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 09:37:15 am »

That'd be fairly cool but I think the performance would be terrible.  You have to "unzip" them first.  If you want a great, completely free program to handle RAR, ZIP, and all the others, I strongly recommend ZipGenius.
very nice. thanks a lot  :) . does work great. does it also work under vista?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 10:51:09 am »

very nice. thanks a lot  :) . does work great. does it also work under vista?

I haven't seen many reports.  One report on their forum did indicate that it worked but that there was a crash in the Shell Integration.  I know the developer is now concentrating on an all-new release (v7).  I'd guess that he is putting most Vista-related stuff into there!

It looks like their web-site is having some trouble for me right now (it worked before but then seems to be going down and coming up).  I've never had similar problems with their site before, so it's probably just a fluke.  The developer is Italian, but the app is great (and an english version is available) and is very responsive from what I've seen in the past.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 11:00:31 am »

I would guess the parent poster is looking for video support, and I'd also guess he is looking for support to play the archives that are often multi-part RAR files that you get from "those sites".  Just to let you know....  ;)

NsiK_Fh8

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 11:29:00 pm »

I would guess the parent poster is looking for video support, and I'd also guess he is looking for support to play the archives that are often multi-part RAR files that you get from "those sites".  Just to let you know....  ;)

That's what I mean :)

A easy way to play videos from scenereleased material.

NsiK_Fh8

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 01:35:34 pm »

Well, are there any news on this area?
Pages: [1]   Go Up