INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [FEATURE REQUEST] Database record Undelete?  (Read 1857 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
[FEATURE REQUEST] Database record Undelete?
« on: July 17, 2008, 11:44:21 am »

Is there any chance for MC to have a database record Undelete action?

Every now and then, I delete a database record inadvertently. It happens so fast that I can only guess what action on my part causes it. But recovering would be much easier if I could press a key or select a menu item to restore the deleted record (different from the valuable Ctrl+Z behavior of restoring text changes).

It just happened: I ripped a CD and MC pulled in track info from YADB. When I reviewed the result, there was a bad song name, so in the view I double-clicked to fix the text. The problem was a bunch of inappropriate text at the front of the song name, so I went to the start of the Name text and started pressing Delete.

But this Name text change caused the song to jump to another part of the sorted Name column. So at some point I was on a different song -- and apparently I pressed Delete two mores time (maybe typing "too fast", or maybe more Delete keypresses in the buffer). Oops! BAM -- the "new" record nuked. Which caused the next record to move to be "current", then BAM -- second record gone!

Two database records instantly disappeared. And since I wasn't intending to edit them, I hadn't noticed what they were.

I know, if I typed very slowly and watched every stroke...

The good news, because it was simple Delete press, is that it only removed the database record, not the actual file. So it's feasible to restore the file to the database -- IF I know which one got deleted. But in this case there are almost 460 songs in the view, so determining which two went missing is a big chore because I have to plow through 347 temp rip folders, which (alas) are named by artist, not by song title. Imagine having to identify a deleted record in a library-wide view (more than 60K tracks in mine)...

Mistrakez will happun, so the ideal solution would be that MC buffers and can therefore be asked to immediately restore the most recent one (or several) database records.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Database record Undelete?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:44:59 pm »

A recently removed from library playlist, I could see that being useful

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 01:04:34 pm »

You do know that MC backs up the library on a regular basis for you automatically.  So chances are you could just restore from backup.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 01:18:28 pm »

But this Name text change caused the song to jump to another part of the sorted Name column. So at some point I was on a different song -- and apparently I pressed Delete two mores time (maybe typing "too fast", or maybe more Delete keypresses in the buffer). Oops! BAM -- the "new" record nuked. Which caused the next record to move to be "current", then BAM -- second record gone!

Two database records instantly disappeared. And since I wasn't intending to edit them, I hadn't noticed what they were.

If you try to delete  a record in the database you immediately get a dialog with 3 options.

So i'm wondering how its possible to remove from the database using solely the delete key  ?

A recently removed from library playlist, I could see that being useful

Some time back i recall seeing a smartlist that did precisely that, see Alex's post here

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 01:27:47 pm »

EDIT: Mystery solved, sort of...

I'm ripping CDs, so working in the Recently Ripped view. In THAT view, Delete will immediately remove the record FROM THE VIEW, but ONLY from the view. It's sort-of handy behavior, but inconsistent with how MC behaves in other views.

When I navigate to another view and look at the ripped album, the "deleted" tracks are there.

I still hope for a database record undelete option, though I now have an easier way to find the "lost" track. Apologies for not recalling that Recently Ripped behaves differently.

To recreate what happens:

1. In Recently Ripped view, starting editing a column value, such as Name.
2. Go to the start of the field and press Delete, or the end and press Backspace, a couple of times.
3. Midway through, press Up Arrow. The cursor jumps to the record above.
4. Pretend you don't notice, and press Delete or Backspace again -- the record disappears, no confirmation.

Of course, in Recently Ripped, Delete will do so without prompt whether editing anything or not. It's just that editing is where the Delete/Backspace key might be commonly pressed.

Oops... testing this just triggered the bug that changes the record's filename inappropriately. But that's not related to the situation I'm reporting.

BTW, restoring from a backup is too brute force for this type of problem, which usually happens when I'm doing a bunch of ripping and tagging (450+ tracks this time) and restoring a backup that is more than a few minutes old would likely wipe out a bunch of good work.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 01:39:33 pm »

Try the smartlist linked to in my last post, the 'deleted' record might still be there.

Select it and export the selection to mpl, then in win explorer right click->add to MC, then select in MC right click to import back again.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 01:40:46 pm »

Mistrakez will happun, so the ideal solution would be that MC buffers and can therefore be asked to immediately restore the most recent one (or several) database records.

MC doesn't instantly remove the deleted "database records". They are only flagged as deleted. They will be removed completely if Auto-Importer's cleaning options are enabled and also the disk files are gone (i.e. deleted or moved outside MC) when Auto-Importer is running (either automatically in the background or by starting it manually) .

All file tags are preserved internally until the files are deleted also from the "deleted files database".

It is possible to make the "deleted files database" contents show up in a smartlist. You can find links to related threads here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46324.msg319087#msg319087  (hit_ny posted one of the links)

From such a smartlist you can send previously deleted files to Playing Now and right-click (re)import from there.

EDIT

... or you can use hit_ny's MPL method.

You can even restore the original "Date Imported" values if you import the same MPL file once again by using the File > Import Playlist command on the top menu.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 01:55:35 pm »

I'm ripping CDs, so working in the Recently Ripped view. In THAT view, Delete will immediately remove the record FROM THE VIEW, but ONLY from the view. It's sort-of handy behavior, but inconsistent with how MC behaves in other views.

That's standard behaviour in the recently imported view as well.

Many times i clean this out when doing multiple imports during the same session.

It only removes records from the view as otherwise there would be no way to clear it out without losing the record :)

good to know there is *NO* way to delete from the database, whilst in a view solely using the delete key ;D, the only place where you can do it is if you select a folder from the tree, but that is a more explicit action

MusicHawk

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 05:43:02 pm »

>> It only removes records from the view as otherwise there would be no way to clear it out without losing the record Smiley

I do the same thing by right-clicking and selecting Remove From List. I like the specific statement of what will happen.

I see that the Delete key is essentially a hot-key for this, but since pressing Delete behaves differently in other views, I wonder if it should NOT have a different behavior in this view, even if the behavior is "safer". Like treating a gun as if it's always loaded...

Pages: [1]   Go Up