INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: exact audio copy EAC compared to mj12 ripping  (Read 3082 times)

sproket90

• Recent member
exact audio copy EAC compared to mj12 ripping
« on: February 02, 2008, 07:43:43 pm »

Is there a difference between using EAC versus MJ12 for ripping from CD's?

Is it possible to use EAC from within MJ12 for ripping?

Thanks,
sproket90 ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: exact audio copy EAC compared to mj12 ripping
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 08:30:17 pm »

The outcome should be the same.  There are some old threads on this around.  You can use "secure" ripping if the disks aren't perfect.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 04:41:40 am »

I did a lot of comparisons a long while ago. MC12 ripping in secure mode is absolutely perfect. Only for very scratchy disks I keep a copy of EAC on my PC as it can recover stuff where everything else fails. But out of 2.500 CDs / 25.000 tracks this was only needed for about 10 tracks.

Bbrip

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 05:00:40 am »

I agree with JimH and bbrib. The secure mode in MJ and MC is fine. EAC has several additional expert options, but you don't need them for normal high quality ripping.

You may want to check this thread for some useful ripping tips:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29157.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

johnnyboy

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 05:53:00 am »

One thing EAC has recently added which might give it one up however is AccurateRip.
Until MC/MJ add's th is, I think this gives EAC an advantage.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 06:29:14 am »

I have recently tested EAC and the Accuraterip feature with a subset of my collection. It seems that the main advantage of Accuraterip is the possibility to rip in the burst mode and if the disc is found from the AC database it can be verified as "accurately ripped".

However, since many CDs have various pressings a CD was often first found, but after ripping couldn't be detected accurately ripped because a different pressing created different file checksums.

In these cases I reripped using the secure mode and the slight speedup which was gained by ripping in the burst mode turned to slowdown. It would have been quicker to rip directly in the secure mode.

On average, it seems that about 25% of my test CDs were in the Accuraterip database.

MJ12's advantage is the ease of use. The ripping part has only a few essential configuration options and the encoding settings are easy to understand. The files are automatically placed in the predefined folder structure and imported to the database. If the cover art lookup feature is enabled in many cases also cover art is automatically added (if present in the online database).

In any case everyone is free to use EAC if preferred. MJ12 works fine with EAC ripped files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 02:46:25 pm »

Accuraterip is a good idea turning bad in real life
Let's say all your cds are in the data
You rip burst== faster
Like this , you have time to read all results to know if your rip ok
To make short ,you need twice the time needed by MC-MJ or EAC  in secure mode if you read the rip logs
And , cause most of your cds are not in the data , you just do not know if you rip is ok
And data is not growing much , cause most of the users just do not care about it
MC-MJ are as good as EAC , BUT , MC NEVER left non converted WAV on the road , unlike EAC
And i ripped thousands and thousands Cds

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 07:44:22 am »

What would be really sweet is if, while doing a secure rip of a CD, if MC could upload that data to an MC server somewhere, and then if somebody else went to rip their copy of the CD and it ran into a damaged section of the CD, MC could download just that data that it can't rip directly so that the user could always be sure they get a perfect rip. It could store it in a manner that makes it completely unplayable on the MC server, and maybe be set up so that it doesn't allow an entire track to be downloaded. I wonder if something like that would be legal. I doubt it. I'm sure that replacement of damaged CDs is a significant source of income for the studios. But it would be nice.

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 06:04:32 pm »

Great idea Doof! I had a rip fail on some tracks today so I got out the CD cleaner machine roller thingy and luckily, got a secure rip.

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up