INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Start Up Tone/Music  (Read 1755 times)

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
Feature Request: Start Up Tone/Music
« on: July 20, 2008, 10:52:22 pm »

I was thinking about my record collection today, and one thing that came to me was the sound of the needle hitting the first groove. The sound was very helpful in discerning the volume level.

With the leveling features of digital files, that is less of an issue. However, I think it would still be helpful to have a start up tone. That way, I'm automatically clued in as to my amp's gain/volume setting.

Maybe the tone/music could be set for program start up. Also, it could go off after hitting play when the computer has come out of stand-by mode.

Thanks for a great program.

VBrook 

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Feature Request: Start Up Tone/Music
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 03:09:48 am »

You could fake this by creating a sound clip of 'needle hitting the record', place it at the top of Playing Now.

Leave it there and to make sure MC does not clear out Playing Now by

Options->General->Advanced->Clear Playing Now on Exit (uncheck)

I'm assuming you only need to know the sound levels once per MC session.

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 09:14:30 am »

Thanks for the reply.

Your suggestion may work for some usage patters, but not mine (and perhaps others).

1) At startup not only with "needle in groove" be in the playlist, but also other music from the previous session. I'd rather the playlist be empty.

2) Coming in from standby, there is currently no opportunity for a tone.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:01:54 am »

Ok, since you use the initial cue noise to gauge sound levels then why isn't the first track's sound level not sufficient ?

It's either too loud or soft.

A quick Ctrl+ or - fixes it :)

if you listen to classical music, i find replay gain only does half the job

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:24:49 am »

It depends on the dynamics of the first note in the piece. If the amp volume is set too loud, I'd rather hear it via a tone/sound that won't damage my speakers! I'm thinking of symphonic music, but this applies to many other kinds of music.

This is about pure convenience, I admit, but then so many features are.

The 'best' solution would be to start every session with the volume at zero, adjust upwards as appropriate, and then restart the piece from the beginning. This is basically what I do in my recording studio when I begin a new session, or return after some time.

But, I'm sure most people don't like doing that, or don't bother, with pleasure listening in the living room.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:54:12 am »

The 'best' solution would be to start every session with the volume at zero, adjust upwards as appropriate, and then restart the piece from the beginning. This is basically what I do in my recording studio when I begin a new session, or return after some time.

But, I'm sure most people don't like doing that, or don't bother, with pleasure listening in the living room.

Options->Startup->Startup Volume->Set Volume to (whatever you like)

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:52:11 pm »

That might well do it.

Another option, I realised, is going to system sounds and adding my own custom sound for Windows Logon and for a program start; every other system sound disabled. When MC starts, I get a tone. And, when the system resumes from standby mode, I also get a tone.

This would work fine for me, as MC is literally the only program that this particular computer ever runs, except for the OS components. (It's a laptop in place of a record player on a stereo cabinet).

Thanks

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 01:17:18 pm »

When I finish an MC session, I switch stuff off with my Harmony remote. The AV receiver goes to standby, the HTPC goes to S3 sleep, and the TV gets turned off.
Turning it all on with the HTPC activity button of the Harmony brings the AVR on, of course, but also resets the sound to -60 db. This gives me a second back up, because I often don't quit MC when I turn it all 'off', so MC doesn't reset to its startup volume.
Anyway, bottom line: Perhaps your AV Receiver can help out too?

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 01:27:41 pm »

I guess I'm a child of the 80s - I think a cassette tape volume check sound-a-ma-jiggy would kind of be cool.  I think I'll fake one ala custom startup sounds, etc.

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:40:26 pm »

I was thinking of buying a Harmony remote. Glad to know it has that feature.

My amp is a little old, maybe, so it won't be much help. It does, however, have a motorised volume knob, which was a cool feature at the time. :)

Yes, the custom sounds do seem like they could be fun. I thought I might create one for myself---noise that pans hard left and right...something like that, or an unobtrusive tune.

Pages: [1]   Go Up