INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which OS (XP/Vista) if building a new HTPC?  (Read 1560 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Which OS (XP/Vista) if building a new HTPC?
« on: July 21, 2008, 01:35:33 am »

Hi Folks,

I'm about to build a replacement machine for the HTPC that runs in my lounge room.

I run MC12 in Theater View and use it for all music, DVD, ripped DVD, video, TV and recorded TV playback controlled via Girder/Netremote.

Currently it's all chugging away resonably well on XP Pro, but I now have the option of  moving to Vista.

Anybody like to comment on their Vista experiences with MC or HTPC in general and tell me if they think I should stay with XP or move to Vista?

Cheers
Richard

raym

• MC Beta Team
Re: Which OS (XP/Vista) if building a new HTPC?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 02:28:25 am »

I tried Vista for a little while but it caused me some problems - mainly with respect to Theater View and video quality. As a result, I reverted back to XP for my HTPCs. This thread pretty much sums up the issues I (and others) had:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41852.msg296998#msg296998

Disabling Aero fixes some of the problems described in this thread but then messes with video quality. I wasted a lot of time with it all before finally giving up.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 07:33:53 am »

I am also close to giving up vista and reverting to XP on my living room computer. NetRemote does neither work on that machine, but it might be due to that it is running 64bit.

But what is the impact of not having DirectX 10, which is unavailible on XP?
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 07:59:20 am »

Zero. Unless you want to play a handfull of specific games, and even those look very, very simliar with DX9/DX10. In my opinion, Vista is a waste of time and hardware resources.

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 08:31:36 am »

Tried Vista, DXVA was broken and drivers for ATI weren't helping at the time (about 8 months ago). XP Sp3 here with EVR, pretty stable.

DC

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 09:28:22 pm »

I have 4 systems all running vista premium with no issue.

But, I would say if it is running fine with XP, why change anything?  Vista doesn't really give you that much more if MC is your main interface.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 02:34:21 am »

I'm very happy with Vista now that there are good drivers for all my particular HW....and this is the biggest issue for some - check on the boards if users are have problems under vista for your particular graphics/sound card.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up