INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mapped drive probem  (Read 2371 times)

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
Mapped drive probem
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:05:04 am »

Hi all !
I've set up a new library using mapped drive (one for the lib, oe for the music), so as to be able to copy this library to my laptop.
I have WinXP installed on my desktop and Vista on my laptop.
I use network shares to map the drives (not the "subst" command).
I use MC v12.0.504 and have the same problem with v12.0.526.

Here is my problem :
If I have not accessed the mapped drives content with windows explorer since last reboot, MC will not find any file and will start with a new default library.
I close MC, open Windows Explorer, click on each mapped drive.
I reopen MC.
All is fine.

I know some of you use this kind of configuration. Can you reproduce the problem ?

Thanks in advance.

Raph

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mapped drive probem
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:06:11 pm »

Yes, I can reproduce. By opening each of the mapped drives in explorer on startup you can avoid it. Not ideal, but...

I'm not convinced it's a pure MC problem though. Some other programs have had trouble... I think it's got to do with how windows communicates to the program whether the network drive is "disconnected" or not.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:39:34 am »

You might want to consider using UNC paths rather than mapped drives. Since doing this, I no longer experience these issues. And darichman's right. This is not an MC issue.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

rjm

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:03:07 pm »

Confirming I have seen this issue with applications other than MC. Solution as reported above is to open drive with Explorer first.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:54:01 pm »

This is a Windows thing.

We played with adding code to do network drive connections, but it got complicated.  We weren't sure when to do a connection (it could be slow), or whether it would be alright to prompt for network passwords, etc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:03:50 am »

This has just started happening to me after 8 months of never having this problem. MC starts up fine, but then cannot seem to find any of my files in the library. The library is kept on numerous user shares on a 6-7 TB unRAID server. I have to open multiple shares to get the library accessible. This is terrible news for my wife, for when she's at home alone and wants to listen to music. Also, it's goodbye launching directly into Theater View for now too.
This behaviour has only been apparent for a week or so, and I don't think I've upgraded MC in that time. I'm wondering whether a recent XP update from Microsoft has anything to do with it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:10:47 am »

It really should be relatively simple to script a boot-time solution to this problem.  My machines don't reboot very often, but I too have this problem.  I'll see what I can come up with over the next couple of days.

Of course, my iPhone is currently "On FedEx vehicle for delivery" according to the tracking number, so I might be a little busy.   ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 11:00:29 am »

A bat file in the Startup folder can be used for accessing mapped drives on system startup. The following code would:

- do a directory listing of the C: drive (this makes sure that the local C: drive is ready).
- add a deley of 30 s by pinging the local host (change this by adjusting the -n parameter). This may be needed before the mapped network drives are ready.
- do a directory listing of three mapped drives (X, Y and Z in this example)
- Pause in the end is optional. If included it leaves the CMD window open until a key is pressed. The last line must be empty (i.e. press enter after the last text line).

Code: [Select]
C:
CD \
DIR
ping -n 30 127.0.0.1>NUL
X:
DIR
Y:
DIR
Z:
DIR
C:
PAUSE

This code must be saved as a text only file in the Startup folder. The file extension must be .bat.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 12:56:56 pm »

Thanks a lot, Alex. I assume that it can be modified; my system disk is actually the D: drive. I'll try it out soon and let you know.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 04:18:54 pm »

Of course you can change the drive letter(s). I am not sure if it is even necessary to include the local drive in the batch, but if Windows is still doing any other startup tasks it might be good to first have full access to the system drive.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 08:09:57 pm »

Thanks Alex.  Mine was going to be a little fancier in that it wouldn't ever actually show the CMD window, but good enough.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 08:41:01 am »

As I thought. I meant that I'd get back to the thread to say if your .bat file fixed my problem, which is similar but distinct from other people's one in this thread. Thanks again for writing this... and you too glynor.

Of course you can change the drive letter(s). I am not sure if it is even necessary to include the local drive in the batch, but if Windows is still doing any other startup tasks it might be good to first have full access to the system drive.

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 04:10:39 pm »

Hi !
Thanks for the tips ! Though it did not seem to come from MC, I knew I could find some help here. It was not a major problem, but it was really annoying. Thanks again !

Raph :))
Pages: [1]   Go Up