INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Somewhat OT: dual sound outputs in vista  (Read 1434 times)

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Somewhat OT: dual sound outputs in vista
« on: July 27, 2008, 06:35:49 am »

Just got a 47" LCD for the living room and got the media PC set up :)

Connected via the HDMI input and sound and video come out fine.

However, the RCA connection to the stereo is silent.  Apparently only one sound output at a time in vista. 

Is there a way that anyone knows of to output simultaneously out of HDMI and the speaker port?

I want the option for both, there will be times when I don't want the TV on (for instance, just to listen to music).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Somewhat OT: dual sound outputs in vista
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 07:49:33 am »

You didn't say what sound device you have. Is it integrated or do you route S/PDIF from a sound card to the HDMI connector? Have you carefully checked and tried all device driver and Vista options? Does the problem exist only on Vista? Do all audio sources behave identically (system sounds, MC, other programs...) ?

On XP I don't have that problem. My sound card outputs to five different connectors simultaneously: analog stereo RCA, headphone jack, digital coaxial SPDIF, and digital optical S/PDIF on the front module and analog 3.5 mm minijacks (multichannel 5.1) on the PCI card. This works automatically without tweaking any settings. The card is a Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96:

Click to enlarge.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Somewhat OT: dual sound outputs in vista
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:25:43 pm »

The systemboard is a gigabyte GA MA69GM-S2H.  I am using the embedded audio controller.

The audio works whether you use the speaker out or the HDMI out.  Just not at the same time.

I am guessing that adding a PCI audio card would allow me to have 2 seperate outputs, but that adds watts and heat, something I am trying to avoid.

The solution now is to run out of the speaker out with a y-adapter (one to the stereo and one to the TV) and use the BNC cable connection (analog VGA) but I really like the look of HDMI better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up