INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 13 Feature Requests  (Read 92205 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
Re: Media Center 13 Feature Requests
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2008, 08:25:10 am »

1. please include some kind of a internal skin maker for easy customization.

2. please have a popup down by the task bar stating what song is playing when MC13 is minimized.

3. please include some track info templates that can be easy customized.

Thanx
TC  :)

dhiggins

• World Citizen
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2008, 09:57:34 am »

My votes:

1) Improved and expanded plugin API
2) Ability to write a remote control plugin OR
    ability to extend the existing remote control plugins

Other than that, is there really any other way to improve MC<g>

Darin

MrHaugen

« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2008, 10:14:42 am »

It would be great. Now that we have the Image link, I'm feeling compelled to download images of the artist I'm listening to. But I don't see myself creating slide shows for all artists to run when they're playing. If there was a way to have this automated, wow.

Exactly. A set image (folder.jpg or similar) to represent the Artist/Band when browsing, and an automatic way of showing several images of artist/band as a slide show. That would be spectacular
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

doug g

« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2008, 11:29:12 am »

I am a new user of Media Center 12. I just found it a month ago when I aquired a collection of 65,000 mp3's and I was looking for a replacement of musicmatch jukebox - which was riuned when Yahoo bought it.- It just stopped working right. So far I find this program is awesome- I have a lot to learn about it but it seems to do more things better then I expected it to- which is so unusual these days.

One thing I am hoping is that JRiver media center can keep away from the advertise mode- so much music/media software just seems to try to sell you more media - and advertisements.

The idea I thought I'd bring up is a little out there and certainly not technical but after seeing this interface I realized your software designers are excellent (maybe I'm describing a differant program entirely):
What about a desktop interface that actually is  desktop like. Something with the music/ picture media controls being like a stereo on one part of the screen that of course expanses as you tune in what you want to play - but then it can go back to a corner of the desktop and you can have phone or a rolledex for (basic phonebook lookup database), A file manager link for win. explorer , a Calender and Clock (alarm clock),  A Internet brower link, and something like a newspaper link, a link that opens your word processor, spreadsheet (Excel), etc.
The idea is a copy of an actual desktop maybe a picture window above it  (you could view a slideshow of your own pictures). On the desktop you would be able to bring the main programs you use and cover over Window GUI completely - I have no idea if it would be hard to do but these links would be something like clicking on an ink well and pen icon brings up  MS Word or whatever, a small calculator could bring up MS Excel or whatever- I'm not a Microsoft freak I just am using them as examples. When you close what your working on it brings back to the media center desktop.- Although I don't have it maybe a small TV icon would bring up the TV- the idea is Apple like I guess- I'm thinking back to years ago when Texas Instruments had a desktop like program that knit/ linked a bunch of things together on a real looking virtual desktop. Simple things like a notepad of sticky notes- or maybe a corkboard with sticky notes.
I realize this is way out of the scope of your program- however I think of the media center is the center of most the things I do- play around with music and pictures- but It could expand to cover most common computer tasks - by linking to other programs that hopefully wouldn't be to hard to do, and creating some small subapplications like a simple phonebook, stick pad type notes, maybe even a fax machine -like winfax used to do.
A program view where the program you might be using would be in the center 3/4 of the desktop with the other links and radio/cd player, calander, phonebook along both sides so you could quickly switch between them as needed. The idea is that media center wouldn't disappear behind the program you are using but would be on both sides of screen while you work in the center of the screen you could still see what song you are playing or have a sticky note with someones phone number or a weather forecast along the sides of the screen at the same time--  I use a wide screen(21") LCD computer monitor so usually 2" or so of the sides of the screen are not needed  - I realize I could propbably stretch the program to run along the side of another program I'm using - but I think I'd have to waste a lot of time setting this up each time a I run a program along side a Media Center window.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2008, 11:50:25 am »

you talking about a desktop sidebar panel, or vista sidebar gadget?

Ive been waiting for one of them for along time..
That would Be GREAT!!!

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2008, 03:43:30 pm »

there is already a vista sidebar gadget for MC. i wish it was more customizable (and was a little bigger in area, as i don't get all the info displayed that i want). would also be cool if there was a tiny visualization in the sidebar gadget, but i digress.

head over to the skin/plugin forum and you can find it. i recently made a post applauding it but hoping to get a few more things added. if i had the programming knowledge i'd do it myself :)

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2008, 06:01:51 pm »

I'd love for a Library to keep it's Import Folders and other settings, even setup and interface options intact when switching between multiple libraries.

Currently when I switch to a library that uses different drives I must go into the options menus and reset all my import folders. If I forget to do this and run an Import I can easily mess-up my library requiring a restore and associated rebuild of thumbnails (which can take hours on a huge library).

Come to think of it, also include thumbnails and settings into Library backups too pleeeeez.
. . . the game is rigged

HTPC4ME

« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2008, 06:26:11 pm »

umm wowo thats sounds great.

umm what section is it in? or whats it named? i cant seem to find it??

Looking forward to using it though :)

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #208 on: September 23, 2008, 11:11:56 am »

I would like to request the ability to sort groups. Currently you can group however you want, and within a group you can sort. But you can't sort the groups unless I'm missing it.

For example, I download a bunch of stuff at the same time. I want to group all the albums together, but I want the albums downloaded last to be at the top of the list. Sorting by date imported doesn't work, because some of the songs from the 2nd album may finish downloading before some of the songs from the 1st album. *

The are many other ways this could work. Maybe you want to play 3 songs each by a number of artists, but you want the artists to be sorted randomly. You group by artist, you sort the group of artists randomly, so you could have 3 songs by Neil Young followed by 3 by Bob Dylan. Currently, you would have to play the artists alphabetically to keep the 3 songs together.

* BTW, anyone else having a problem with auto-import not working? I have to keep clicking on Run Auto Import Now.

TPJ

« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2008, 08:09:04 am »

How about the ability to customize GLOBAL hot keys instead of just using media buttons, which can be awkward on a Dell laptop.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2008, 08:20:28 am »

Sorry, this is a duplicate post. Only saw this feature request thread after I posted.

DVB-S would be good.

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
  • But I don't wanna be the same as everybody else...
« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2008, 01:59:38 pm »

Re Options|Tree&View|Sorting:   Ignore articles (a, an, the)

Just wondering/hoping about somehow being able to 'internationalize' this for songs with titles in languages other than inglés?
Even just letting us provide our own lists of which acticles/pronouns to 'skip' would be great.

Puffkin123

• Recent member
« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2008, 06:32:10 am »

I think theater view should have some improvements. and there should be a command that brings down the more menu and a command that will automatically add the highlighter video or song to the playing now list.

Edit: I think you should also have the ability to raise the volume on specific videos that would be saved. alot of new HD formatted videos have very low volume and the ability to start and end a video at a certain spot. Where whenever you start the video again, it will start a certain amount of seconds or minutes into the video instead of at 0:00.

difool

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2008, 06:15:15 pm »

Here's mine: change tag contents based on library fields while synchronizing with a handheld

example: combine [album] and [year] to a new album-tag displaying "(album title) - (year)"
example2: combine [genre] and an expression(imported last month) to a new genre-tag "NEW (name of genre)"

I know it has been requested sometimes before but I can't find the thread  :-\

I always have a problem finding newly imported stuff on my ipod and this would basically solve it...

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2008, 08:35:31 pm »

How about a whole new level of complexity?  :)

There are currently several hierarchies - genre, style, artist, album, track...

It would be nice to have a way to rate or assign a weight to every level. For example, you could have a rating for your genres:

rock = 5
jazz = 4.5
electronica = 4.5
new age = 3
classical = 3.5
country = 2
etc.

(that's just an example, not necessary my weights)

Then you could also assign a rating to every other level like style, artist, and album (we already have ratings for tracks).

The other feature that I think would be cool, would be "listeners". When you are running MC and listening to music, you sign-in as a listener. And, you can have more than one listener at a time. When playing music, all of the play history will be associated for each listener. And all of the listeners will have their own ratings (at each level).

Then you could have a smartlist like:

Listener1 genre-rating > 3 AND style-rating > 3 AND artist-rating > 4
Listener2 genre-rating > 3.5 AND ...
Listener3 genre-rating > 4 ...

Each listener could be named, so in my case User1 would Gregg. When a listener signs in, then the smartlists will only use their settings, but if other listeners sign in, the smartlist will do a boolean AND to include their preferences.

With this kind of feature, you could have an extremely powerful "family" or multilistener system.

MAPgeekdad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mets fan
« Reply #215 on: October 01, 2008, 12:28:31 am »

Standardize MC Replaygain and its tagging method.

No more proprietary replaygain methodology and tags.

envyc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2008, 06:20:05 am »

One enhancement I'd like to see is resizable dialogs.

When using items such as the Tools > Options dialog, I would really like to see a resize handle so that I can expand the view, thus eliminating the need to scroll down to access option further down the list.

pank2002

« Reply #218 on: October 02, 2008, 09:50:16 am »

IMO MC needs to be better at recognizing image tags (and possibly video tags). The following example should illustrate what I mean:
I backup my MC_DB and move it to another computer.
On computer A pictures are stored in \pics\... ; on computer B the pics are stored in \Rasmus\docs\pics. Tags will (probably) be gone due to different file path.
Currently MC hook tags to the file path. This is quite fragile. It would be better if MC hook it to some calculated value (some random number base on some clever algorithm . . .) or even better if this was stored directly in the file (if possible). I do not know if ExiF tags allow non-standard tags.

Cheers,
Rasmus
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #219 on: October 04, 2008, 01:46:51 am »

- I like the MC 12 feature for customizing the bottom toolbars.  I'd like to be able to add a command to the bottom toolbar to change libraries (like the Zones command on my toolbar now. ( I like being able to toggle zones quickly from the Zones command.)

- I'd like to be able to pick up where I was the last time I was viewing the current library.  (Right now, MC 12/13 seems to always start in a new library whith the start view.)

Bill

phoenix91

• World Citizen
« Reply #220 on: October 04, 2008, 05:03:06 am »

Data of a smartlist view can be exported to Excel using copy/paste.
Since my library holds more and more albums, I seem to reach a limit of this copy/paste functionality. Selecting i.e. 6000 lines and copy to clipboard, nothing will be copied and therefore nothing can be pasted.

Please extend this limit in MC13.

(Vista Ultimate, Office 2007)

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2008, 07:02:19 pm »

Well, lets see:
1- I want to be able to stop using Tag&Rename .... A better interface for tagging and more functions would be nice .... Example: I tipically get music by: a- Downloading, b- recording it from old media cassetes, LP and such), c- ripping CD´s. a- Lot´s off downloaded music tags are wrong, and file names arrghhhhh, I have to tag correctly, add album art and commentaries and rename files.
2- A REAL analog recording applet with LEVEL calibration (to avoid clipping) and track splittin, I hate bringing up Audition only to record analog.

Everything else you can add (if it works) I will LOVE. I bought this soft for its quality, flexibility and power. I always want more of that!!!  ;D

bwaldron

• World Citizen
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2008, 12:00:26 am »

- I like the MC 12 feature for customizing the bottom toolbars.  I'd like to be able to add a command to the bottom toolbar to change libraries (like the Zones command on my toolbar now. ( I like being able to toggle zones quickly from the Zones command.)

While we're asking for buttons, I'd like one for playing Radio, please.

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2008, 11:01:34 am »

I'm like a broken radio on these things but perhaps they could be implemented in a new version... I apologize if I have already written about this in this thread, I can't remember...

I would like some contextual options on playlist manipulation and stop/pause. Firstly, I would like to be able to select "stop after current track" as a contextual option upon right-clicking on the stop button or some hotkey (e.g. ctrl + STOP), which would then make MC finish the current track, and then stop (of course advancing the playlist to the next track upon stopping).

As for playlist manipulation, there should be a secondary mode that you could enter through pressing a hotkey. I have replace all as standard, since I usually just replace albums in my playlist... But when I'm constructing something more track-specific, it would be nice to be able to hold e.g. ctrl and enter a secondary (customizable) behaviour (e.g. add at end of playlist).

OK, let me apologize again, because I'm almost positive that I have brought up this before. Writing, especially the second "request" gives me strong déjà vu feelings...

And this one bears mentioning again and again, and I won't apologize for it ;) : please, intergrate a slick and reasonably  customizable song notification ticker/popup / toaster or whatever it is called.
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

gappie

« Reply #224 on: October 07, 2008, 11:17:14 am »

I would like some contextual options on playlist manipulation and stop/pause. Firstly, I would like to be able to select "stop after current track" as a contextual option upon right-clicking on the stop button or some hotkey (e.g. ctrl + STOP), which would then make MC finish the current track, and then stop (of course advancing the playlist to the next track upon stopping).

ctr & shift & s  does the trick. but unfortunately it does not advance to the next track  :(

HTPC4ME

« Reply #225 on: October 08, 2008, 11:05:17 am »

any thoughts about adding the ability to view PDF's\Ebooks?

Just curious if this will be ever implemented.

also curious when we can expect a non beta version? so that we can get our plugins to work again.. Gforce, Whitecap. what i'm listening to know, etc...

Thank You.

raldo

« Reply #226 on: October 08, 2008, 04:32:03 pm »

Add a new option to the delete dialog:
"Delete on disk, Keep in library"

Later, when import is done, the missing disk instance is ignored, but the database record is kept.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #227 on: October 08, 2008, 07:44:09 pm »

I'd like to have a command to combine the currently selected files into a single file.  For example, to combine the four tracks representing a symphony performance into a single files containing all movements.

Foobar2000 has a command that sort-of does this but I'd like to use MC 13 for this task.

Some details:

1. I'd like to select a set of files and right-click on them.  The "Combine Files" command would be on the right click menu or a lower level menu (like the Library Tools/Convert format menu.)

2. I'd like to be able to choose an output format (and bits rate if necessary.)  I often want to make a single MP3 file from several Flac files.

3.  I'd like for MC 13 to suggest a name for the output file based on the names of the input files (and display it in the Save File" dialog.)
  The input files may be related and if so, the common parts of their names would be a good starting point for an output file name.  A short numeric string could be appended.  If there is no commonality in input names, MC could leave the file name text box blank.

4. I'd like for MC 13 to transfer tag values from the input files to the output file.  If the files are related, they will have the same value for most tags.  If the input files have different values for a tag, MC can leave that tag blank.

When I got an 80 GB iPod 8 months ago, I selected one or two performances of each symphony, concerto, sonata, etc. that I really like and produced single files combining all movements of each work for that performance.  It would be really handy to have a command in MC for that purpose.

Bill

craft

« Reply #228 on: October 11, 2008, 09:25:21 am »

null

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #229 on: October 11, 2008, 10:00:16 pm »

I have two requests that would help my work flow when ripping CDs.

When done ripping a track I'd like to see more info then "complete" in the status field, like "secure" or "bad rip." This would allow me to more quickly interrupt a bad rip. As it is I have to either watch the rip speed indicator, keep an internal timer going in my head to detect a possibly bad CD, or wait until I hit the complete button. I wouldn't mind MC popping up a window warning me about a possible bad rip either.

I'd also like to see MC tell me during the rip that it couldn't find any cover art in J River's database while ripping the CD. This would give me a chance to look for the art during what might otherwise be idle time for me.

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2008, 08:19:01 am »

Just a thought from the peanut gallery - don't know if this has been tossed around before, but for those of us who store our
libraries on non-local drives and therefore can't make changes to the library when away from home, it would be great to be able
to enter a 'virtual mode', make changes to a virtual copy of my actual library, then at home have it pop up a window, show me
the list of changes it's saved up to perform, then while I'm napping make all of those changes for me at once! Actually, that
would be really nice for speeding up things anytime I'm working with very large files, or on a slow network. Just pop into the fast
virtual mode, do everything, then go grab a snack and wait for the real work to get done.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2008, 03:15:17 pm »

Would like some sort of macro scripting feature.
Here's where I would apply it....
Import a new album, it shows up in the recently imported viewscheme.
Make any tweaks to the tags I want.

Now, from this point forward I currently do this:
1) Clean File Properties
2) Rename Files
3) Analyze Audio
4) Get coverart from internet
5) Run Lyrics Editor plugin

Would like to be able to set that series of steps up for single-click access.
This should of course be user-configurable, since everyone would have their own progression of things they do.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2008, 03:16:49 pm »

where can i find this lyrics editor plugin please?

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #233 on: October 15, 2008, 08:34:59 am »

As a new 'library tools' feature, a command to set the Sequence of a list to the current sorted list order would be helpful - sometimes it would make things a little simpler.
I often want to put songs in a new sort order but instead of having to change the view so a refresh doesn't lose the list order, this would be quicker - and I could keep
my default view sort order.

outofspace7

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Im using Opera 10 browser! www.opera.com
« Reply #234 on: October 16, 2008, 01:33:50 am »

Sometimes after import i got file name like this : "02.Sweetest Perfection" it would be helpfull , when MC can delete 02. in the name of file, otherwise i must do it manually. In the case of 400 files......."
outofspace

HTPC4ME

« Reply #235 on: October 16, 2008, 07:42:41 am »

get flash renamer ;) Super easy!!!

Bobo4567

• Recent member
« Reply #236 on: October 16, 2008, 02:47:24 pm »

I use MC on seminars "as a DJ tool": To zones - one goes to the speakers and one to the headphones / second soundcard.
It's easy to toggle between the zones with ctrl+t but it's not easy to recognize in which zone I am!

Better differentiation of the different zones
Suggestion: Just a coloured border around the player section e.g. like this:

And the colour could be set in the Zone Manager:

That should be easy to implement and would be a big improvement!

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #237 on: October 16, 2008, 03:40:49 pm »

I use MC on seminars "as a DJ tool": To zones - one goes to the speakers and one to the headphones / second soundcard.
It's easy to toggle between the zones with ctrl+t but it's not easy to recognize in which zone I am!

Better differentiation of the different zones

Nothing wrong with your suggestion, but you can display the current Zone now.

Just right clicked in the playback display area, choose the Customize display command and add [Zone] to the status line.

Bill

Talios

• Recent member
« Reply #238 on: October 17, 2008, 02:12:50 am »

To reiterate/paraphrase/add to part of what glynor said:

I would love if Theater View had a seperated podcast category so we don't have to sort it out under audio, with editable view schemes i.e. podcasts by date or by feed/date. 

Also, Theater View could integrate and allow for configurable RSS feeds so we can pick whatever feed we want and adjust as we wish.

I would also like better handling of online Video_ts folders.  Basically if Media Center could be set up to look for [Title]/video_ts/video_ts.ifo or whatever folder scheme, and look for cover art within that folder...though this may already be possible now that I'm writing it and putting it to words.  But better online (or on drive) DVD video integration would be great.

Thanks for an already Wonderful product!!!

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #239 on: October 17, 2008, 05:05:11 am »

I don't know if this has been requested before, but would there be another option that you could manually enter Title/Artist in a field and then have the ability to search on the data that was entered in to this field? Currently, if you have compilation albums, MC has a hard time finding its associated cover art. Way back when, I used MediaMonkey and it had the ability to change the data that was being sent in the search.

Other than that, the cover art lookup in MC13 has been outstanding. Keep up the good work

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #240 on: October 17, 2008, 10:14:56 am »

Sometimes after import i got file name like this : "02.Sweetest Perfection" it would be helpfull , when MC can delete 02. in the name of file, otherwise i must do it manually. In the case of 400 files......."

While this isn't a feature request, it's super-easy to solve.  I think your file name would be "02.Sweetest Perfection.mp3", which is how that got into the track title in MC.  Anyhow, right click on the file, choose Library Tools-Fill in Properties from File Name and then tell MC that the filename is formatted like this: [track #].[Name]... try on one or two before trying on many.

gilbyk

« Reply #241 on: October 24, 2008, 03:03:17 am »

We have a lot of balls in the air right now, so no promises on new features.  Still, it's fun to dream. 

So let us hear what you'd like most in MC 13.

Here's some of my requests:
  • Integrated EPG for TV
  • Tighter integration with external data sources -- i.e. viewing an artist wiki, artist images, etc.
  • Richer metadata lookup for movies (reviews, plot summary, etc.)
  • Ability to use my images and videos as my screen-saver
  • Ability to have my wallpaper automatically rotate using my image library
  • MiniDV video camera import
  • Full-off MP3 store
  • 3D file browsing
  • Optional way to keep filenames in step with tag values
  • Way to type in the Options dialog to search all available options
  • iPhone 3G suppport despite Apple's new evil attempts to lock us out
  • More hours in a day
Support for the PS3 would be nice but maybe Sony don't want to provide that sort of connectivity and control of their device.

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #242 on: October 25, 2008, 09:39:56 am »

For those of us who are irrevocably stuck in the habit of using the keyboard instead of the mouse, there are
quite a few places where this could be made easier - dialogs w/o the ability to tab between controls,
controls w/o Alt-shortcuts etc.
Where it is possible to do, it would be appreciated!

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #243 on: October 28, 2008, 06:53:07 am »

This threads getting too long to read/remember now, so I hope this hasn't been mentioned previously:

Scheduled remote library updates. The remote server is all very well, as is the file share method, but a scheduled reload of libraries would be very much appreciated.

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #244 on: October 28, 2008, 07:10:14 am »

Different icons for different file types

Browsing Explorer with MC default program to all files is useless because you just see thousands of the same icons all over

There is no need for over the top icons.
concerning audio , foobar just change color of the foobar general icon and ad the kind of file
Orange/flac
Grey/ape

and so on

The same can be done for video and pictures

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #245 on: October 28, 2008, 07:11:18 am »

SHN decoder back , like it was up to MC11

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #246 on: October 28, 2008, 07:12:27 am »

Verifying data after burning like in Nero

muntealb

« Reply #247 on: October 28, 2008, 08:46:44 am »

Visual notification when new episodes are available in the podcast feeds.
======================================

Right now all the podcast feed icons are orange and the color does not change when there are new episodes, so one must check each feed to see if there is new content available. I suggest a change in the color (preferably green) of the icon if new podcast episodes are available. So the podcasts with new episodes will have green icons, whereas the others will keep the orange icons. Upon closing the program and reopening it all the podcasts will again have orange icons until the next feed update, when the ones with new episodes will have green icons. Also if the user clicks the feed with a green icon so it is opened and the episodes are displayed, the icon should switch to orange.

tdipower

• Recent member
« Reply #248 on: October 28, 2008, 02:47:48 pm »

I would like some more features on the Video part.

Things I would like.
Tag's like music with Coverart, naming, imdb ratings +++
Better streaming of videos. I have a gigabit network, but still it takes forever to stream a movie from my "server" to my HTPC.
Genre both on "horror, comedy etc" and "Series, comics, movies etc"

ABx

• Recent member
« Reply #249 on: October 28, 2008, 08:15:29 pm »

There's two major areas that I would REALLY like to see improved:

TV:

• Support for IR Blasters so those of us with digital cable can use JRiver. I hate having to use a second app for TV when JRiver has TV support.

Podcasts:

• It seems that not all types of RSS feeds are supported (at least not fully). When I tried to use JRiver as my podcatcher it only supported less than half of them. Either it wouldn't recognize the feed, couldn't read it, or couldn't successfully download anything from it.

• Global settings for things like auto-delete and auto-tagging (ESPECIALLY auto-tagging). When you subscribe to a lot of feeds, it's a huge pain to edit every one of them individually.

• Ability to group feeds. I subscribe to many feeds, but on just a few subjects. I would like to be able to organize them by subject. This is a big thing for me, and doesn't seem like it's really asking that much.

Video:

• Better support for/tolerance of video files. It seems that half of the video files (Divx especially) I have either won't play or hang/crash MC half way through. Just about every other media player I've used has been able to handle the same files, and so I often end up using VLC or WMP (which I really don't like doing). Sometimes I can remedy this by messing around with the codecs, but I shouldn't have to do so for every other show. Perhaps what I'm really asking for is just better intelligence (or some at all) in what codecs it uses when playing videos.

Lastly, I would REALLY like to see an option to play a file via file associations without loading the library, plugins, etc. Right now I don't let JRiver take any file associations because when I launch a media file through explorer or a third party application I want something that will just pop up [very] quickly and play the file. I don't want to wait for the full library to open, I don't want to take up that much screen space, and don't want to have to change modes/etc. Right now I'm using VLC for file associations because JRiver is just to bulky to play files this way. This is often for things like podcasts or files downloaded from websites that I just want to listen to quickly (just once through, sometimes just quick samples) and then probably delete. If and when I decide I want to keep it then I put it in my library and let JRiver pick it up. It would be nice, of course, to have a button or context menu option to add the file to the library. I believe that iTunes actually has this option.

With these things I could actually use JRiver as my sole application for media - as it's intended to be!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up