INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confusing values in POPM field  (Read 1790 times)

grahamk

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Confusing values in POPM field
« on: August 04, 2008, 09:48:36 am »

I have come to the realization that if I want song ratings to pass between various music software programs that I will need to do it myself. This has lead me to inspect the ratings of my files (which are primarily managed by MC12).

I have a bunch with the old rating nomenclature in the COMM block, and a bunch with the new POPM fielp populated. The interesting thing I have found is that the POPM Rating doesn't exactly seem straightforward. Here is what I have mapped  (POPM Rating = MC rating):

#  50 = 1
      #  51 = 1
                # 101 = 2
      # 102 = 2
      # 153 = 3
      # 203 = 4
      # 204 = 4
      # 255 = 5

I am surprised that there appears to be more than one value which maps to a MC rating.

Are there other values that I need to check for? If I do a bulk "Write tags from library" will I end up with a scheme that makes more sense? I'd "give it a try" but with ~165,000 files I am reluctant to try bulk fixes without some sort of confirmation that it will do what I want it to.....

Any help appreciated.,

Thanks!
 Graham

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Confusing values in POPM field
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 10:54:04 am »

By defination a ID3v2 Popularimeter (POPM) value can be in the range of 0-255. Like many other programs MC uses a 6-step rating system (empty + five stars). If I recall correctly reading & writing the library values from/to POPM was finetuned to be compatible with Windows Media Player.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

grahamk

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 11:40:15 am »

If I had found 6 values between 0-255 I wouldn't consider it confusing.

What's confusing is that my MC tagged files seem to have 8 different values to represent a 1-5 rating system (I don't have anything rated as zero).

grahamk

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:07:55 pm »

Would anyone happen to know of a method to create a smartlist of songs whose ratings tags need to be upgraded from the old COMM format to the new POPM format?

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up