INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: Add "Browse with Media Centre" to windows context menu  (Read 2109 times)

rogueblue

• World Citizen

If I'm in windows explorer at any location, I would find it very useful to be able to right-click, selecting "Browse with Media Center" and be able to open Media Center at that specific location.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature request: Add "Browse with Media Centre" to windows context menu
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:01:59 am »

Sounds like a good idea.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 03:24:32 pm »

Sounds like a good idea.

It defenetly does!!

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 03:43:22 pm »

Definitely would be handy!

-John

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 08:14:26 am »

Not seeing why  ?

in fact many times i do the opposite from MC open in explorer.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 08:34:05 am »

Not seeing why  ?
in fact many times i do the opposite from MC open in explorer.
Because in fact many times I do the opposite: from explorer open in MC...  :P

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 08:54:20 am »

err, all i do from explorer is Add to MC's PN.

I'm not getting why it needs to open in explorer view with the tree to the left in MC. So we go from a tree-files view in explorer to yet another in MC  ?

What's the purpose here ? with what kind of media is this useful with.

workflow etc.

If you want to see tags just browse whatever in MC and then do a locate inside media center.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:48:42 am »

Sorry, hit_ny, now I got your argument!

You may be right, I don't see this as an essential important thing, but it maybe nice to browse through pictures, don't you think? You have a nicer preview than with explorer and can decide which file to import eg.

You'll say, then I should start browsing in MC instead of using the explorer just to change to MC after a minute. Yes, but I use explorer most the time to organize files. And if I get to a point where I start managing pictures I'd be nice to be able to switch to MC easyly.

Nice, but not importend, I'd say...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 10:22:10 am »

but it maybe nice to browse through pictures, don't you think? You have a nicer preview than with explorer and can decide which file to import eg.

You'll say, then I should start browsing in MC instead of using the explorer just to change to MC after a minute. Yes, but I use explorer most the time to organize files. And if I get to a point where I start managing pictures I'd be nice to be able to switch to MC easyly.

Much clearer now thanks :)

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 06:39:51 am »

Sorry, hit_ny, now I got your argument!

You may be right, I don't see this as an essential important thing, but it maybe nice to browse through pictures, don't you think? You have a nicer preview than with explorer and can decide which file to import eg.

Definitely not essential, but would be a real bonus.

Nice, but not importend, I'd say...

Exactly...
When I'm working in explorer with various non-media files, and just happen to come across some media files, it would be great to be able to choose MC from the windows context menu to browse them.
This would encourage me to use MC even more often.

jgreen

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 06:36:56 pm »

I agree with the spirit of this, that MC is an awesome file explorer and windows explorer is, well, typicial of MSFT.

My question is, why aren't you browsing with MC anyway?  "Drives and Devices" is a great way to filter and search for stuff on your hard drive. 

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 02:49:24 am »

I agree with the spirit of this, that MC is an awesome file explorer and windows explorer is, well, typicial of MSFT.

My question is, why aren't you browsing with MC anyway?  "Drives and Devices" is a great way to filter and search for stuff on your hard drive. 

Well version 12 has come to an end , but I'll answer your question anyway...

When working with non-media files (Word, Photoshop, etc..) , and often opening & closing Windows explorer, MC takes too long to open compared to explorer. It sometimes can take up to 20 seconds to get going (working...), while explorer itself is pretty instant. While 20 seconds is no problem for when wanting to open MC to view media files specifically, just day to day browsing , opening & closing... that 10 to 20 seconds can feel like forever.  :)
Even when MC is open, and using the "Favourites" (Navigation) to create quick links, I experience a delay, which in day to day browsing isn't instant enough, as compared to explorer.

The other thing is that I would often have a shortcut to a specific folder (eg My Documents/Work/Finals ) placed on my desktop , or just go direct to My Documents from the start menu. In this case it does not have the explorer-like left-hand tree pane , it just gives you the ability to go directly into and out of folders which are visible.
In MC it doesn't show you folders ( without obviously using the tree pane), and one also can't place a shortcut to a specific folder on one's desktop (as I often do) which would open MC in that specific location as one can do with explorer.

That's why I use explorer for "general" day to day browsing of non-media files.
And why I felt have the browse option in the windows context menu would have been a cool addition.

Hope that make it some what clearer. ;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up