INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist w avg rating?  (Read 1368 times)

joh

• World Citizen
Smartlist w avg rating?
« on: August 05, 2008, 02:53:20 am »

I would like to have a smartlist that in random order returns my favourite albums (complete - all tracks in order). "Favourite albums" defined as those where the album tracks have the highest average rating. Could anyone help out?

Greetings from rainy Göteborg, Sweden. /OLle

PS: I have read some other post on average rating, among other Rasmus' reply to a post in April, but must say I can't even find where MC returns this calculated album average. A new explanation on that would also be valuable.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Smartlist w avg rating?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 10:37:09 am »

This cannot be done currently as MC has no concept of album averages.  I do actually have this functionality in my setup but I export my entire library to a bunch of PERL scripts which calculates the album average and then reimports them into MC into a user created field 'album average'.  From that field it is possible to create a smartlist to do what you wish.

This seems to be an increasingly common request, ie that MC is updated to allow album average...

Mark

joh

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:43:03 am »

This cannot be done currently as MC has no concept of album averages.  I do actually have this functionality in my setup but I export my entire library to a bunch of PERL scripts which calculates the album average and then reimports them into MC into a user created field 'album average'.  From that field it is possible to create a smartlist to do what you wish.

This seems to be an increasingly common request, ie that MC is updated to allow album average...

Mark

Thanks, Mark, this is what I thought aswell, but when I read Rasmus post in this topic:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46364.0
I thought afterall that MC could calculate an average rating.

But maybe I misunderstood?

BR /Olle

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 11:00:30 am »

You *can* create a view scheme where an album average is displayed by MC but this average is not available to query.  The only way forward right now is to add a use field, for example, Album Rating, and then rate your albums manually, or as I do, using scripts.  Once you have populated the field you can then create smartlists that work with the album rating.

Mark

joh

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 02:41:32 pm »

You *can* create a view scheme where an album average is displayed by MC but this average is not available to query.  The only way forward right now is to add a use field, for example, Album Rating, and then rate your albums manually, or as I do, using scripts.  Once you have populated the field you can then create smartlists that work with the album rating.

Mark

OK, thanks! /Olle
Pages: [1]   Go Up