INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice Try  (Read 1482 times)

Sub Someone

Nice Try
« on: July 28, 2002, 09:37:41 pm »

I'm associated with the ReaL|sTy cracking group and, we noticed that
our cracks don't work on the "New Versions" of Media Jukebox
v8.0.266 or above. After patching the program, the program will
play for like 2 minutes then either stop playing or/ acts funny.
We will do our very best to continue the distribution of cracking.
Every new version you guys release we will also release a new crack for that
version. We don't do it so you guys loose money. We do it 'cause
we are a company full of corupted crackers. We crack software because,
we believe software should be free. We don't care how long it took you
guys to write it.
We know after you crack a program
you won't buy it after all, why bother hahahaha. We do put a funny info.txt file
disclaimer: "If you like a program please buy it! Sometimes the
authours deserve your money." Okay, so that not funny.

BigMike

RE:Nice Try
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2002, 09:55:51 pm »

Just another person that tried to crack MJ, and got busted :)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2002, 05:06:57 am »

Yeah but do you mean 'busted' as in had a stern email sent to them or do you mean 'busted' as in sharing a cell with a 18 stone sexually confused inmate named 'bubba' ??

This is the problem with IP theft, even when caught it does not have any real maning to the perpetrators.. I am not suggesting 100 lashes but if we want an IP based 'ideas economy' we need some level of control and accountability... Of course the problems we face is that agencies like the RIAA and MPAA are the ones on the side of the fence I am argueing for so thats like getting into a bed of snakes...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

scodan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2002, 05:18:15 am »

Normally I would write a stern flame at this type of [insert horrible name here], but I wouldn't want to be "negative" or to be construed as "complaining" by the [insert even worse name here] in this forum.  So I will take the high road.

Thank you, dear poster, for your contribution to this forum.  I really think you are merely a [insert name for person who posts only to anger people and generate responses], but perhaps you are for real.

In any event, my opinion is that crackers' time must not be worth much.  If it was, why would it be worth spending hours to crack an application that would have only cost $25 to purchase in the first place?  Kind of like how MY time is valuable, so I pay someone else $25 to change my vehicles' oil for me.

In closing...

Peace, love, and happiness to all.  May you and your loved ones enjoy  all of the beautiful bounty that this delightful day offers from its joyous bosom.

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2002, 05:26:26 am »

JRiver are entitled to their due and crackers are theives. End of story.

The disappointing part for me is that the development team's intellectual cycles are taken up with working out more involved methods of preventing theives stealing their product instead of developing the features.
Namaste,
John

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2002, 05:34:25 am »

Sub Someone,
Thanks for writing.  We noticed your work before, as you know.  In fact, we admire your skill.  I'm not joking.

I believe you are in Russia somewhere.  I visited Russia and Ukraine a number of years ago, and I was impressed with the level of skill I found among computer people.  They didn't have good equipment, but they made the most of everything.

Since then, we've had 2 Ukrainians and 2 Russians who have worked here.  One went on to be a very skilled systems administrator for startups in Silicon Valley.  Another went to Netscape and led a team of programmers.  The third is our CTO, Nikolay Sokratov.

I know also that cracking is probably the only way people in less developed countries can afford to use some software.  In our case, for example, the $25 represents several days' work for even a programmer in some places.  Here it is more like an hour or two.

So I propose that you consider applying your skill to something that adds to Media Jukebox instead of subtracting from it.  If you can do something useful to us, we will pay you.

If you prefer to play a game of cracking, we will just continue to play, but that is a less fortunate outcome.

Kind Regards,

Jim Hillegass
CEO
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2002, 05:42:57 am »

ReaL|sTy group,

It's great to meet you. At least now we know who we are dealing with.

You guys are from Russia. So am I.  I don't have to explain to you what free software means to the economy; just compare the US and Russia.  Russia has great minds which have great ideas but no money to implement them.  You are programmers, and I bet if your living depended on the software you wrote, you would never crack software.

Anyway, It's going to be a never-ending contest. You will crack MJ, we will release a new build.  I don't expect you to stop. Even if you do, other crackers will try to do the same.

Regards,
Nikolay Sokratov
CTO, JRiver, Inc.

scodan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2002, 05:44:15 am »

God bless H1B!

(Oh no, there I go again!)

scodan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 06:51:22 am »

I don't use cracks of any sort, but I understand the disgust.

My favorite problem is when I legitimately pay for software, then can't use it because of a problem with the convoluted license/registration/key scheme employed by the vendor.  That's when it's "crack time!" (but only if you are truly entitled to use of the software).

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2002, 07:19:24 am »

I admire this guys they can crack everything including the super Bullet proof OS that is Windows XP with a couple of Files cracked, i have a friend that works in a company here in portugal and their jobs is controlate CD's pirate of music and software, it appears that here in portugal there are few crackers but plenty phreakers and they can't handle with them. One new Move they want to do here in portugal ( don't know about the rest of the coutries ) is to lauch a Super music cd with a special protection, only play's in stereo systems if you iserted in a pc the cd comes out automat. the only problem with this cd is that only play's like 10 times in a stereo after that time the cd refuses to play.
Made in Portugal

Bill Ko

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2002, 07:45:02 am »

There are no legit reasons to crack a program.  That said, there is a situation when I will use a crack.  Specifically, I hate those stupid CD copy protection schemes that take so much CPU time, they make gaming miserable.  It bumps up the minumum hardware requirements several levels.  Use of a crack that eliminates the need for the CD is a welcome sight.  It's dumb to include such protection anyways, since any decent CD writer combined with the right software can copy just about anything there is out there.  The most common schemes are easily reproduced.

Bill

scodan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2002, 08:00:01 am »

Bill Ko wrote:
There are no legit reasons to crack a program. That said, there is a situation when I will use a crack.
I think you are contradicting yourself a bit.  Agreed the instances where cracking is ethical are rare, but I think they do exist.  For example if you have honestly lost a valid reg code, and the vendor whose software you need to re-enable has gone belly-up (or they simply refuse to help). [edit: realized you may be distinguishing between the making of a crack and the using of the same.]
Pages: [1]   Go Up