INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm hatin on the find feature...  (Read 2283 times)

Speedwagon

• Recent member
I'm hatin on the find feature...
« on: July 06, 2008, 10:52:38 pm »

It used to be, that I'd hit CTRL-Q, it'd bring up the search window, I'd type what I wanted, and be happy.  But now when I do it, it doesn't highlight the text that is currently in the window, so I end up with a stupid long string of text, and it fails to find it.  Is this a setting somewhere that I turned off?  Or was this changed in an upgrade of MC?  I still can't get used to it not highlighting the text like it used to, and I've been at this for a month or two now.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: I'm hatin on the find feature...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:16:42 am »

I'm hatin on it too.

We'll change it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:09:07 pm »

Also for the main search field (top right of screen)? Having to triple-click to mark an existing search string, in order to mark and delete it is quite annoying, and makes no sense at all. In older MC versions, the whole string was marked after a single click in the search field.

scm

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:34:11 am »

Unequivocally, the autohighlight behavior of the search box (disabled in build 12.0.512, as far as I can tell) is exponentially superior.  IMO it should be changed back ASAP.

And, another change in the search behavior, where a search is performed within the present array based on previous selections from "View Items" in the "View Scheme" (like Artist, Rating, Album, etc.), is interesting but I'd like to know what people think about it.

Previously it would erase all your selections and perform a fresh search of the entire database. 

I would suggest perhaps pressing ENTER with the cursor in the search box will perform a search of the entire database.  Whereas not pressing enter will, as usual, search within the current array of results as the person types characters.

This saves the trouble of the user having to 1. realize no results have been achieved because the search was performed in a limited array, 2. position the mouse in the results window and double-click.

Pressing ENTER resets all View Items selections and returns results based on whatever is in the search box.  This will be much faster than simply resetting first by pushing Alt+3 for example and then clicking in the search box and typing your characters.  Alt+3 causes a delay while it fetches an array of ALL audio files in your database, which can be avoided by my suggestion.

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 04:57:08 am »

I'd really like to see a search highlighting similar to how Firefox works... type something in the search box, and all matches are highlighted in the results.

Speedwagon

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 01:40:38 pm »

So it seems I may have solved the problem by accident.  When I upgraded to the most recent version, the whole program failed to work properly.  After about 30 seconds of playing a song, it would crash out.  I did an uninstall/reinstall, and everything works fine, including highlighting when I hit CTRL-Q now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up