INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating Last.fm from tracks played on iPod via Media Center  (Read 1125 times)

vnum218

Updating Last.fm from tracks played on iPod via Media Center
« on: August 19, 2008, 02:18:58 pm »

Hi all,

There is a small thing that I would like to fix.  Mostly, I listen to music on my iPod rather than on my computer.  However, at present, Media Center submits tracks to Last.fm (as have been listened to) only when I play them through Media Center.  In particular, it does not notice the tracks that have been listened to on my iPod and submit those.  Is this sort of behaviour possible?

Obviously there are necessary preconditions, and I am not sure about these either:
1.  Does the iPod keep track of which tracks I have listened to as events?  Does it count the number of times that a track has been played?
2.  Is Media Center equipped to find out which tracks have newly been listened to?
3.  Does Last.fm allow many tracks to be submitted simultaneously?

Thanks!
vnum

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Updating Last.fm from tracks played on iPod via Media Center
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 04:08:18 pm »

This topic has come up a few times, but put simply, no.  Media center will not do this at this point.  Although it is my understanding that MC will look at last played info in the iPod (correct me if I'm wrong), the lastfm plugin doesn't pay any attention to this.

The iPod does keep track of your listening and here is the utility I use to submit my listening from the iPod to lastfm:
http://www.lastpod.org/

It's quite a pain to do, though.  You have to make sure MC (and iTunes, if you use it at all) are both closed when you connect your iPod, otherwise they will erase your play counts from the iPod.  Once connected, you open LastPod and it reads in all of the play counts and handles submitting them to lastfm.  Once it is complete, you are free to open MC and have it wipe your play counts out (which you would want to do anyway, since you've already submitted them to lastfm).

Because of this tedious workaround, I only do this when I've done some pretty major playing on the iPod... like a vacation or something.  I wish this would have got addressed in MC 12, but oh well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up