INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More on tagging-while-playing lockup  (Read 4716 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
More on tagging-while-playing lockup
« on: May 26, 2008, 02:31:32 pm »

More details...

I had tagged 30 or more songs when MC locked up. A song 20 earlier in the view was playing. I'd edited the tags of 20 songs that followed the playing song in the view, when MC locked up.

Upon restart, all of the tag changes of the 20 songs that followed the playing song were lost. This indicates MC was way behind in updating tags. Was it simply slow, OR was it stuck,  waiting for that one song to stop playing before updating any subsequent songs?

This problem does not happen every time, but when playing and tagging a hundred songs, MC will lock up 2 to 3 times. I don't see a pattern other than playing while tagging. It doesn't lock up while doing one without the other, so I've been trying to avoid doing both at once. But sometimes I click inadvertently and start a track playing, not notice (audio muted or headphones off) and eventually get into the lock up.

Is this how MC used to behave? I think it would save tags faster, seemingly skipping a playing song and updating all the others, and it would not lock up. Something changed around 12.0.492 or so...

Another factor *could* be anti-virus software (Norton). I know it meddles in file reads and saves, but it's been on this computer for months and months before the lock up problem appeared. I've tried shutting it down while working with MC, but it didn't seem to clear up the problem. However, shutting down Norton is tough to confirm; it has many processes and lacks a simple "stop" button. I hesitate to remove it because, while my own ripped music files are clean, image downloads are unknown (not to mention web browsing in general).
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

gappie

Re: More on tagging-while-playing lockup
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 03:07:47 pm »

ive been tagging alot the recent days and had also a lot of crashes. and indeed the last few tag changes were lost just as the update from the play statics from the song that was playing and sometimes the song before (when restarting mc the song playback started one or two songs back in the playing now list.)

:)
gab

btw: i was alwyas playing music at the same time. and restarting mc was not always enough to get things going. but after a full restart everything was fine for a while again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:22:12 pm »

Another factor *could* be anti-virus software (Norton). I know it meddles in file reads and saves, but it's been on this computer for months and months before the lock up problem appeared. I've tried shutting it down while working with MC, but it didn't seem to clear up the problem. However, shutting down Norton is tough to confirm; it has many processes and lacks a simple "stop" button. I hesitate to remove it because, while my own ripped music files are clean, image downloads are unknown (not to mention web browsing in general).
Shutting down isn't always enough, but you could probably improve things by asking Norton to stop checking every file open.  Checking an MP3 file once is probably over-kill.  Maybe there are scary things in MP3 files, but I can't imagine how they could infect your system.  And I wouldn't trust Norton to find them.

The closest thing I've heard of was something in a JPG file that tripped up some programs that opened them.  I think it exploited a stack overflow.

But your problem could be our bug.  Matt has done a lot of "housekeeping" changes lately, so maybe that's related.

gappie

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:14:39 am »

one of the things that i see after a crash is that the keyword i just submitted before the crash has been written into the file tags (tag>format) but not to the library itself. also i do not see the crash back  8) in the log file, here is the tail:

Code: [Select]
0993234: 2588: SDK: CMJPlaylistsAutomation::CMJPlaylistsAutomation: Global Count: 1
0993234: 2588: SDK: CMJCurPlaylistAutomation::CMJCurPlaylistAutomation: Global Count: 1
0993234: 2588: SDK: CMJFilesAutomation::CMJFilesAutomation: Global Count: 4
0993234: 2588: Database: CMJSearchHelper::GetResults: Search: ; Elapsed ms: 1.472
0993313: 2588: Database: CMediaInfoArraySort::Sort: Files: 16; Elapsed ms: 0.051
0993313: 2588: SDK: CMJPlaylistAutomation::CMJPlaylistAutomation: Global Count: 1
0993344: 2588: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Main window disabled
0993344: 2588: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Main window disabled
0993359: 2588: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Main window disabled
0993391: 2588: Reader: CLocalReader::OpenInternal: Opening: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\gab\Anwendungsdaten\J River\Media Center 12\Temp\Track Info\Index.html
0993391: 2588: Reader: CLocalReader::Close: Closing: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\gab\Anwendungsdaten\J River\Media Center 12\Temp\Track Info\Index.html
0993391: 2588: SDK: CMJCurPlaylistAutomation::CMJCurPlaylistAutomation: Global Count: 2
0993391: 2588: SDK: CMJPlaylistsAutomation::CMJPlaylistsAutomation: Global Count: 2
0993391: 2588: SDK: CMJPlaylistAutomation::CMJPlaylistAutomation: Global Count: 2
0993391: 2588: SDK: CMJPlaylistAutomation::OnFinalRelease: All objects released
0993391: 2588: SDK: CMJPlaylistAutomation::~CMJPlaylistAutomation: Global Count: 1
0993391: 2588: Reader: CLocalReader::OpenInternal: Opening: Q:\Muziek\Roy Buchanan\Guitar On Fire\Folder.jpg
0993391: 2588: Reader: CLocalReader::Close: Closing: Q:\Muziek\Roy Buchanan\Guitar On Fire\Folder.jpg
0993391: 2588: SDK: CMJPlaylistsAutomation::OnFinalRelease: All objects released
0993391: 2588: SDK: CMJPlaylistsAutomation::~CMJPlaylistsAutomation: Global Count: 1
0993391: 2588: SDK: CMJCurPlaylistAutomation::OnFinalRelease: All objects released
0993391: 2588: SDK: CMJCurPlaylistAutomation::~CMJCurPlaylistAutomation: Global Count: 1
0993422: 2588: SDK: CMJAutomation::~CMJAutomation: Global Count: 4
0993438: 2588: SDK: CMJAutomation::CMJAutomation: Global Count: 5, Main 0, 809abd0
0993547: 2588: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Main window disabled
0993547: 2588: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Main window disabled
0993719: 2588: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Main window disabled
0995781: 2588: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Main window disabled
0995781: 2588: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Main window disabled
0995797: 2588: Database: CTagSaveHelper::SubmitFile: Start
0995797: 2588: Database: CTagSaveHelper::SubmitFile: Submitting: P:\Muziek\Assorted\Voices in the Wilderness\Naftule's Dream - 06 - Paran.ape
0995797: 2588: Database: CTagSaveHelper::SubmitFile: File added to tagging queue (already in queue = 0)
0995797: 2588: Database: CTagSaveHelper::SubmitFile: Finish (0 ms)
0995797: 3144: Database: CTagSaveHelper::Thread: Start
0995797: 3144: Database: CTagSaveHelper::Thread: Saving tag: P:\Muziek\Assorted\Voices in the Wilderness\Naftule's Dream - 06 - Paran.ape
0995797: 3144: Import: JRAnalyzer::Open: Start
0995797: 3144: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Start
0995797: 3144: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: P:\Muziek\Assorted\Voices in the Wilderness\Naftule's Dream - 06 - Paran.ape
0995797: 3144: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Start
0995797: 3144: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: P:\Muziek\Assorted\Voices in the Wilderness\Naftule's Dream - 06 - Paran.ape
0995797: 3144: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Start
0995797: 3144: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Finish (0 ms)
0995797: 3144: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (0 ms)
0995797: 3144: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (0 ms)
0995797: 3144: Import: JRAnalyzer::Open: Finish (0 ms)
0995797: 2588: General: CPanesWnd::UpdatePanes: Start
0995813: 2588: Database: CMediaInfoArraySort::Sort: Files: 34; Elapsed ms: 1.422
0995813: 2588: Database: CMJSearchHelper::GetResults: Search: [Media Type]=[Audio] [Klaar]=[Bezig] ~sort=[Media Type],[Date (year)]-d,[Album Artist (auto)],[Album],[Disc #],[Track #]; Elapsed ms: 10.014
0995813: 2588: General: CPanesWnd::UpdatePanes: Finish (16 ms)
0995875: 3144: Database: CTagSaveHelper::Thread: Done saving tag
0997875: 3144: Database: CTagSaveHelper::Thread: Finish (2078 ms)

any more info i can give?

gab

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 09:12:42 am »

I've done a lot more testing, since I get the crash MANY times during a playing+tagging episode (so much that I gave up on using MC Server and put a copy of the full library on my client+stereo machine).

If I do NOT play, just tag, I never crash.

But if I play a track (typically working in Recently Ripped), MC will eventually lock-up even if I edit OTHER tracks, NOT the track I'm playing. I attribute this to MC's attempt to update the playing track's number of plays -- meaning MC edits the playing track even if I do not.

Another scenario: I am editing all tracks (or a new CD rip), and maybe have done 20, when the lockup occurs. When I restart, the database is missing changes in the past 10-20 tracks, which suggests that MC is either VERY SLOW to save changes, or it's getting stuck.

But the newest scenario, happened a few times yesterday: I ripped a CD (15 tracks or so). I briefly sampled a couple of tracks out of curiosity, but didn't tag them. No problem so far. Then I started to work down the list, playing the tracks and tagging each individually. An error box would pop up saying MC couldn't update a track (such as track 6 or 13) because it was missing or in use. But neither was true. However, it was a track I'd briefly sampled several minutes earlier. When I went back to that track to play it, THE TRACK WASN'T THERE. The database entry was there, but when I'd click, some other random track would play. I went back to the hard drive, and the track EXISTED. I dragged it back into MC, and deleted the duplicate entry that had "no file". I conclude that MC was updating the tracks I briefly sampled, likely updating the Played data, and this background task crashed and broke the connection between the database and the physical track. But MC overall didn't crash (unlike other experiences) so I didn't notice until the error box, then trying to play the "disconnected" track. The problem is clearly with MC's background task of updating the database with tag changes, including the automatic Played count value.

Feature request: I'd love a way to disable MC's maintenance of Played data, which I don't care about. Aside from reducing the crashes, it would reduce I/O and file changes. (In my library I have no need to know when or how often a track has been played.)

Reminder: I'm back to using 12.0.497 to avoid the multi-value field editor bug in 12.0.504, but before I reverted, I had the same problems in .504. I still have a ton of ripping+tagging work to do, and would like to switch to an earlier stable version, before this crash problem appeared. It seems related to when the database design was "upgraded". Is there a way to revert to the older database structure, and which older version of MC would use it?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:17:50 pm »

Feature request: I'd love a way to disable MC's maintenance of Played data, which I don't care about. Aside from reducing the crashes, it would reduce I/O and file changes. (In my library I have no need to know when or how often a track has been played.)
Depending on how you're setup it could be as simple as disabling (uncheck) the

'store in tags in file (where possible)' item

in tag properties for the foll. tags

[Last Played]
[Last Skipped]
[Number Plays]
[Skip Count]

This way they will only be stored in the library. I'm unaware if this is the default setting as it's been long time since i save any tags updates back to the files.

Thing is tho, all these tag updates to the files are prolly done in a batch update per file so the savings in time etc will be minimal if you disable only for a subset.

gappie

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 03:18:57 pm »

Reminder: I'm back to using 12.0.497 to avoid the multi-value field editor bug in 12.0.504, but before I reverted, I had the same problems in .504. I still have a ton of ripping+tagging work to do, and would like to switch to an earlier stable version, before this crash problem appeared. It seems related to when the database design was "upgraded". Is there a way to revert to the older database structure, and which older version of MC would use it?
im on 492 now and it seems to work fine until now. 487 uses the old database structure, so i could not try that one.

MusicHawk

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:25:57 pm »

HIT_NY: Thanks for the thought, but I really LIKE to store in the media file as much of the track data as possible (other than cover art itself). This safety net has saved me several times over the years (a user since Media Jukebox 7). Maybe I'm being too careful...

I long-ago disabled "store tags in file" for the library standard fields that MC seems to update on its own. But since MC crashes only on files I have played in the past few minutes, saying it can't write to them, I'm trying to determine, writing what? I'm speculating unchecking "store tags" does NOT really disable writing of all these tags. Or maybe I'm overlooking a tag. When I examine the tags via the Format property, I don't see any undesirable tag data other than the MC version info. Maybe there's a completely different cause for the frequent lockups.

GAPPIE: Thanks for the info. I'll see if .492 is more stable.

MusicHawk

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 07:14:04 pm »

I can't prove a negative, but...

I switched back to 12.0.492, and have been playing tracks and editing tags for two hours without a single lockup or crash (though it seems slower to save changes). I hope it remains stable, and I hope there's some known difference between .492 and .497/.504 that will help identify the problem.

gappie

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 03:24:50 pm »

492 works also fine here, did a lot of tagging today, while playing music. no crashes. non at all. funny how you can get used to those things.

gab

did not see a speed issue. maybe its there in standard view, but besides tagging i use theaterview and it is for sure not slower.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 06:35:30 am »

Could automatic cover art lookup be a factor?  Or auto import?  Are you using them?

What type of files are you playing?  MP3, FLAC, etc.

gappie

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 07:02:40 am »

Could automatic cover art lookup be a factor?  Or auto import?  Are you using them?

What type of files are you playing?  MP3, FLAC, etc.
for me...
i dont use auto import
coverart lookup is disabled.
the machine is not connected to the internet.
no virusscanner.
ape files only.

i could reproduce it on an other machine, connected to the internet.. virusscanner.. coverart lookup. and a small library. but plugins disabled and standard skins.
problem is that reproducing it can take up to 15 minutes/half an hour.

MusicHawk

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:49:42 am »

I've given .492 a big workout, editing more than 20 thousand records+files, and it was totally stable, unlike my efforts to use .497 and .504.

I reverted to .492 just before fixing the problem reported in another thread where I apparently wiped out the Rating value of more than two thousand tracks, due to my clumsiness combined with the Rating/Stars field one-click-changes the data behavior.

To fix the Ratings wipeout and prevent it from recurring, I added a new custom Score field to store my "rating"; I will no longer use the standard Stars-based Rating field. I then selected my entire library and copied the Rating field into my new Score field, thereby editing tens of thousands of tracks. Then I manually updated almost two thousand that had lost the value, entering the desired "rating" in the new Score field. Not one lockup or crash! With newer versions MC would typically have crashed every few minutes.

I'm mostly working with MP3, some FLAC.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 08:55:22 am »

Is the program crashing, as in Windows encountered an error / program disappears?

OR

Is the program dead-locking so that it just won't respond and needs to be manually killed from Task Manager?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 08:58:31 am »

Could it be, by chance, that a message is popping up under the main GUI? Next time it locks up, just click on the Media Center button in the task bar and see if that is the cause.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 09:11:29 am »

Could it be, by chance, that a message is popping up under de main GUI? Next time it locks up, just click on the Media Center button in the task bar and see if that is the cause.

This is a good idea.  We know there are cases where prompts can show behind the main window, but we haven't been able to reproduce.  Any tips would be welcome.

[edit -- I think the popup issue will be fixed next build]

MusicHawk

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 11:10:57 am »

>> Is the program dead-locking so that it just won't respond and needs to be manually killed from Task Manager?

MC locks up. When this happens, mousing over it shows no cursor. The UI is totally dead. There are no other MC-related windows or dialogs open, hidden or visible.

As reported earlier in detail, this only happens when playing a track while updating various tracks. If I let the frozen MC sit there, once the playing track gets to the end it goes into a 1 second perpetual loop of the audio.

The only way out is to use Task Manager to close MC.

I do a lot of track playing + tag updating, and this happened every 5 to 15 minutes, during every edit session, in 12.0.497 and newer. I reverted to .492 and have no problems.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 11:21:58 am »

Sounds to me like the popunder thing. Same syntomps.

- When the lockup happens, does task manager show MC as 0%? Does it show there as "not responding"? (I guess not... MC is probably just waiting for you to respond to the prompt that you are not seeing)

- Are you by chance using two different tabs when you perform the tagging operations and you have also a second program (internet browser, for instance) open at that same time and you're switching from one program to the other?

gappie

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 11:32:10 am »

i get the message that mc encountered a critical error, or something like that. as long as i dont say okay, the music plays on (but i dont know if it will also play the next song), but cant do anything.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 02:41:48 pm »

Please email the logs to matt at jriver dot com after one of these hangs / crashes.

We haven't been able to reproduce it, and there's nothing obvious in the code that explains it.

Thanks.

gappie

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 03:30:41 pm »

hi matt,

ive just sended you the log file from which i posted the tail a few posts ago. i can send a new one tomorrow. if ive have to do something special for the test. just let me know.

gab

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 05:18:41 pm »

Could anyone with this problem post a step-by-step to reproduce?

Gappie mentioned it crashed when he was in-place editing Keywords.  Any other tips?

MusicHawk

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 05:55:23 pm »

I just upgraded from .492 to .510, so will let you know how that goes.

The most solid fact is, the lockup happened all the time in .497 and .504, but seemingly never in .492.

Step-by-step, more or less:

Use a fairly large library -- the one I'm working with has 60 thousand tracks.

MC is set to store tags in files (MP3 with a few FLAC).

Open a view with at least a dozen or more tracks -- I've had the problem with a single CD rip of 15 tracks, but also in Recently Ripped with 8 CDs ripped (100 tracks) and also a view with hundreds or thousands of tracks.

Decide to check the tracks and update some tags...

Play a bit of a track (as a reminder of what it is).

Then edit that track's tags, using either the Tag dialog OR in-place editing.

Change various tags, including several that control views, such as Keywords, Genre, and sometimes Name and Artist (I don't use or even look at Album Artist) and various custom tags.

Usually (but not always) the track is still playing while I'm changing its tags. The changes appear instantly in the database.

At the bottom, MC often displays the normal message that it will finish the update when the playing track is stopped, and 90% -95% of the time, it does.

Go to the next track in the view, and repeat the process -- play a bit, change some tags, move to the next track.

Eventually - after 5 to 25 tracks, MC locks up. It's sudden, no warning, nothing odd, it just freezes. The cursor/pointer disappears. Nothing responds. No MC dialogs or messages, except at the bottom of the screen is the same "waiting to update" message, but this time it just gets stuck. The player can't be clicked so the track can't be closed. If I let the playing track finish, it goes into a 1 second loop. The only recovery is to use Task Manager to kill MC.

Restarting MC, the recent tag changes are NOT there. At least the past two or three track tag changes are lost, and OFTEN, the last database change is 5 or 10 tracks behind the track that was being edited when it froze. So, if MC was waiting for a track to finish, it did so quite a while before -- since I'd played 5 or 10 other tracks since then.

It doesn't seem to be a media file problem. Once MC is restarted, I can retag the same tracks without a problem.

Wild speculation...

Maybe whatever "stop" signal MC gets, to wait until a playing track ends, is sometimes wrong, and the tag saver and player get into a deadly embrace over the file.

Maybe MC is waiting for the wrong file to be released/closed.

Or maybe something about tag updating is so slow (rebuilding a view index?) that the update process times-out or goes into outer space.

Maybe the player doesn't always or promptly fully release/close a music file (caching?).

Maybe custom fields/tags are misbehaving -- I use several.

Since it's random but only happens after at least a handful of tracks are played+tagged, maybe it's a queue or stack or cache or array problem, where MC gets confused about which open file it is waiting for vs. updating.

Something changed after .492...

gappie

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 07:30:15 am »

Could anyone with this problem post a step-by-step to reproduce?

Gappie mentioned it crashed when he was in-place editing Keywords.  Any other tips?
it still happens with 531 on both my systems.
what i do?
start playing back some music.
i open a view with some files that needs tagging (and are not the ones playing at that moment).
select the files.
click on new keywords
popup comes, i click on enable pane tagging now.
start to type in some keyword, wich always is nested.
click ok click new keywords again... etc

at this moment it sometimes crashes after the first, but it can take a while also. i write keywords to the tags of the files.
after a crash the last keywords are in the file tags but not in the library, after 'update library from tags' they are though.
it only happens when im playing back files at the same time.

gab

gappie

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 08:10:47 am »

i tried to recreate the crash just now a few times. most logs did not say anything about a crash, the last one did though. here is the tail of the last one. maybe it gives a lead.
0369547: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: P:\Media\Muziek\Assorted\Great Jewish Music_ Marc Bolan\Rebecca Moore - 02 - Telegram Sam.ape
0369563: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Start
0369563: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Finish (0 ms)
0369563: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (16 ms)
0369563: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (16 ms)
0369563: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::Open: Finish (16 ms)
0369578: 3048: Database: CTagSaveHelper::Thread: Done saving tag
0369578: 3048: Database: CTagSaveHelper::Thread: Saving tag: P:\Media\Muziek\Assorted\Great Jewish Music_ Marc Bolan\Sean Lennon & Yuka Honda - 15 - Would I Be the One.ape
0369578: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::Open: Start
0369578: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Start
0369578: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: P:\Media\Muziek\Assorted\Great Jewish Music_ Marc Bolan\Sean Lennon & Yuka Honda - 15 - Would I Be the One.ape
0369578: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Start
0369578: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: P:\Media\Muziek\Assorted\Great Jewish Music_ Marc Bolan\Sean Lennon & Yuka Honda - 15 - Would I Be the One.ape
0369594: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Start
0369594: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Finish (0 ms)
0369594: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (16 ms)
0369594: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (16 ms)
0369594: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::Open: Finish (16 ms)
0369609: 3048: Database: CTagSaveHelper::Thread: Done saving tag
0369609: 3048: Database: CTagSaveHelper::Thread: Saving tag: P:\Media\Muziek\Assorted\Great Jewish Music_ Marc Bolan\Tall Dwarves - 08 - Ride a White Swan.ape
0369609: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::Open: Start
0369609: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Start
0369609: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: P:\Media\Muziek\Assorted\Great Jewish Music_ Marc Bolan\Tall Dwarves - 08 - Ride a White Swan.ape
0369609: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Start
0369609: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: P:\Media\Muziek\Assorted\Great Jewish Music_ Marc Bolan\Tall Dwarves - 08 - Ride a White Swan.ape
0369625: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Start
0369625: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Finish (0 ms)
0369625: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (16 ms)
0369625: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (16 ms)
0369625: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::Open: Finish (16 ms)
0369641: 3048: Database: CTagSaveHelper::Thread: Done saving tag
0369641: 3048: Database: CTagSaveHelper::Thread: Saving tag: P:\Media\Muziek\Assorted\Great Jewish Music_ Marc Bolan\Trey Spruance - 17 - Scenescof.ape
0369641: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::Open: Start
0369641: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Start
0369641: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: P:\Media\Muziek\Assorted\Great Jewish Music_ Marc Bolan\Trey Spruance - 17 - Scenescof.ape
0369641: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Start
0369641: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: P:\Media\Muziek\Assorted\Great Jewish Music_ Marc Bolan\Trey Spruance - 17 - Scenescof.ape
0369656: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Start
0369656: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Finish (0 ms)
0369656: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (15 ms)
0369656: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (15 ms)
0369656: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::Open: Finish (15 ms)
0369656: 3048: Database: CTagSaveHelper::Thread: Done saving tag
0369672: 3048: Database: CTagSaveHelper::Thread: Saving tag: P:\Media\Muziek\Assorted\Great Jewish Music_ Marc Bolan\Vernon Reid - 12 - Jeepster.ape
0369672: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::Open: Start
0369672: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Start
0369672: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: P:\Media\Muziek\Assorted\Great Jewish Music_ Marc Bolan\Vernon Reid - 12 - Jeepster.ape
0369672: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Start
0369672: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: P:\Media\Muziek\Assorted\Great Jewish Music_ Marc Bolan\Vernon Reid - 12 - Jeepster.ape
0369688: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Start
0369688: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Finish (0 ms)
0369688: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (16 ms)
0369688: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (16 ms)
0369688: 3048: Import: JRAnalyzer::Open: Finish (16 ms)
0369703: 3048: Database: CTagSaveHelper::Thread: Done saving tag
0375563: 3128: Playback: CMJWaveFeeder::Thread: Finished feeder loop (bCancel: 0)
0375563: 3128: SDK: CMJCurPlaylistAutomation::CMJCurPlaylistAutomation: Global Count: 1
0405047: 1484: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing
0405047: 1484: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Message: 15, wParam: 0, lParam: 0, Window class: JRiver Owner Draw Class

i think the crash mostly happens just before a new song starts, in the three crashes i just had, in one case the playback of the next song went on under the windows crash screen, in th second case it just stuttered some note without going on, in the case where the log is from it looped something that was about half a second long.

i have no idea what else to test.

edit: one thing maybe? both systems use asio playback, one over firewire to a rme fireface, the other over usb, to an edirol ua-700.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 08:15:45 am »

Do you have any third party plug-ins in use?

gappie

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 08:23:35 am »

Do you have any third party plug-ins in use?
on 1 system i have, me being the third party  :)
on the system the log is from, there are no plugins enabled besides maybe some that are enabled standard by mc after a fresh intall (rebuilded this system two weeks ago), and they are not third party i guess.

edit: my system info
Media Center 12.0.529 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 1992 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2096 MB, Free - 1425 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: SONY    DVD RW AW-G170A   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: SONY     DVD RW AW-G170A    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)

edit2: system info other machine:

Media Center 12.0.531 Registered -- C:\Programme\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Intel Core 2 1861 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2094 MB, Free - 1570 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F: TSSTcorpDVD+-RW TS-H653B  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653B   Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm
  Library Server
  TiVo Server
  UPnP Server
  Omnium Gatherum (Active)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 11:06:58 am »

Could you send the full crash log to matt at jriver dot com?  The snippet you posted doesn't show what the thread that crashed was doing.

Thanks.

gappie

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 12:03:13 pm »

made 3 new ones, they are on their way.

gab

gappie

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 08:00:55 am »

hope i did not overfloat your mail box.  ;)
i just got an other idea. on both my normal and the new library i made for testing, i made a view scheme that is using two smartlists to get the albums i need to tag, and where i did the keyword tagging. to test it i used some simple views without something that is recalculating after every new input (that is what happens i guess). i could not get it to crash, which can be a coincident, but still thought i should mention it already. will test it this evening a bit more.
could i be on to something?

gab

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 01:47:11 pm »

hope i did not overfloat your mail box.  ;)
i just got an other idea. on both my normal and the new library i made for testing, i made a view scheme that is using two smartlists to get the albums i need to tag, and where i did the keyword tagging. to test it i used some simple views without something that is recalculating after every new input (that is what happens i guess). i could not get it to crash, which can be a coincident, but still thought i should mention it already. will test it this evening a bit more.
could i be on to something?

gab

I still haven't had it happen to me, so maybe that's a clue.

Could you send me a library backup and an explanation (or screenshot) of the view I should tag in to get the crash?

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up