INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I change the genre tag and make it stick?  (Read 1645 times)

ayoob

• Recent member
How can I change the genre tag and make it stick?
« on: January 24, 2008, 12:44:52 am »

I have 154 genres of music, and I want to cut it down to about 20.  But, every time I change the genre for an album or a track or whatever, the next time I move that file to somewhere else all my changes are lost.  I just bought a new 750GB drive tonight and I'm moving EVERYTHING in a couple days.  So I'm back up to 2,539 genres again.

How do I explain to MC that no, I really really want to change the genre on this track and not have to change it again.

Thanks!  I've picked up a couple of nuggets on this forum already that have made my MC12 experience much better.

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How can I change the genre tag and make it stick?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 04:21:17 am »

First you have to make sure that "Store in file tags when possible" is chosen.
It's under Tools - Options - Library and Folders - Standard Library fields - Genre. Hit Edit on this field.

After that you can update genre on an album and move the file. When you move files, allways do that within the file explorer in MC. Or else you have to import the files again, or update the file path to the files.

If this does not work try to select the album files after tagging them, and right click - Library Tools - Update tags from Library.
If nothing of THIS is working you might have a file access, or rather a file write access problem. The files are MP3 right? Not some strange format that do not support tags?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 04:26:38 am »

Obviously your tag changes were not stored in the file tags. Have you disabled the general option to save tags to files? (Options > General > Update tags when file info changes) -- assuming your files are in a format that MC can tag. The Genre field (like most other library fields) has an individual option for saving tags, but also this is enabled by default.

However, normally you don't need to disconnect files from the existing library data when you move them around. You can easily move files with MC or adjust the library to find the new file location(s). Personally I never reimport files once they are in the library and I have moved complete libraries and done complex folder structure changes several times.

What is your current folder structure and how are you going to store the files on the new hard drive? Are you just moving one or more base folders from a drive to another?

EDIT, MrHaugen replied while I was typing my reply...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jens

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:23:16 pm »

I also have a problem writing tags to files, but only with m4a files (works great for mp3 and wma.) I have the appropriate MC options checked, but m4a files do not retain any tag changes, not to the Genre tag nor to other tags like Album. I can make a change in MC and it says it's saving tag changes, but then when I import the file into iTunes (or delete/re-import into MC), it still has the old tags. It works when I change tags using iTunes, then it sticks. I'm on Windows, and I only want to use MC! Any ideas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up