INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Chrome: The beginning of the end for Windows?  (Read 4397 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Google Chrome: The beginning of the end for Windows?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 10:56:37 pm »

This is an area we think a lot about, but there are some hurdles.

Of the software side, native software can do things that web-based software can't.  Dealing with hardware (iPods, TV-cards, burners, etc.) is an important example.  Performance is another consideration.

On the content side, it's more complicated to move personal media to the cloud than personal documents.  Media is often 1000's of times larger and surrounded by copyright complications.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rjm

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 11:09:40 pm »

I gave Chrome a test drive today. It is clean, elegant, and simple.

Unfortunatley it lacks the ability to save a web site in mht format so it's a no go for me. Otherwise I may have switched from IE.

With regard to the cloud, I think it is unwise to count on a reliable internet a few years from now as peak oil and electricty shortages start to bite. I subscribe to the self-suffciency model for computing.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:04:55 am »

Unfortunately it lacks the ability to save a web site in mht format so it's a no go for me. Otherwise I may have switched from IE.

With regard to the cloud, I think it is unwise to count on a reliable internet a few years from now as peak oil and electricty shortages start to bite. I subscribe to the self-suffciency model for computing.

Remember they are not just building it around the Internet, but rather as a virtualized alternative to Windows, OSX, linux, etc...  PC manufacturers are not going to like it because it further commoditizes their product and obviously MS isn't going to like it, but I think it's what the masses want.  Sun Microsystems realized this 10 years ago but their technology the java vm/applet is not as good as this, you could only run it in a third party browser or server and not be browser ITSELF, and they didn't have the clout and distribution angle that Google has built.

Who knows if they will succeed or if it will just be another browser.  They have a long way to go as Matt said in terms of functionality before anyone will just run this as an OS, but if the technology gets built in the next few years (it's all open source so it's possible) to where all you need is a box and drivers, mass adoption could be almost instantaneous.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 08:41:09 am »

I'm liking chrome.  Has some of the things I miss from Opera, with the simplicity of IE, and also seems to render just about any page.

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:00:38 pm »

I'd love to see MC drop IE for all the web rendering and switch to WebKit.  Would make the Mac/Linux port so many desire a lot easier too :)

-John

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 11:26:17 pm »

I kind of like it. ;D

RobCr

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 12:58:30 am »

Unfortunatley it lacks the ability to save a web site in mht format so it's a no go for me. Otherwise I may have switched from IE.

I save a lot of web pages, and I MUST have the ability to save as MHT.
So unfortunately I am going to have to give Chrome a miss.
Which is a pity As I was liking what I was seeing.
Rob
PS If 'they' are listening, I would also like a 'speed dial' / 'fast dial' ability. They have attempted something similar, but I want to choose what appears there.

221bBS

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 12:22:16 am »

tried a print job with chrome- continually crashed-  same job no problem with ie7  ? ?

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 12:06:36 pm »

I haven't given Chrome a run yet as I have read about some of its problems that it is currently encountering and am not willing to make that jump yet.

But to those of you talking about using IE7... are ya'll in the stone age? Firefox 3 obliterates it (and, imo IE8 as well).

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 01:17:45 pm »

I haven't given Chrome a run yet as I have read about some of its problems that it is currently encountering and am not willing to make that jump yet.

But to those of you talking about using IE7... are ya'll in the stone age? Firefox 3 obliterates it (and, imo IE8 as well).

I've been using Chrome as a basic browser since it came out. I find it very stable. I fall back to FF3 when I need more functions.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 01:39:08 pm »

stable, yes... but it's just missing a lot that firefox offers. toolbars, addons, etc. syncing bookmarks for me is really useful. i'm sure google will make strides to improve it... but for people talking about how google chrome is really nice and better than IE.... i wonder if they have tried Firefox... because firefox is way ahead of internet explorer (and has been for awhile).

i may give google chrome a test, but i think i may just sit tight and continue using firefox until more functionality is added to chrome.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 02:23:17 pm »

I just prefer IE. FF is over hyped in my opinion.

rjm

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 05:31:02 pm »

I just prefer IE. FF is over hyped in my opinion.
I'm really liking IE8. It's a big improvement over IE7.
Pages: [1]   Go Up