INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hamachi/Library Server-How to  (Read 2117 times)

mp3jockey

• Recent member
Hamachi/Library Server-How to
« on: September 03, 2008, 11:16:40 am »

New at this, so please be kind......I can sucessfully set up a Hamachi connection between my Pc at home with MC12, and my work PC.  Trying to play my tunes at work with a copy of MC12 loaded on my work PC.  Once the hamachi connection is made, I can ping my homeserver no problem.  I can even open UltraVNC, and connect with my home PC, go into MC12, etc.  When I try to connect to the Library server from work, using the Hamachi Ip address for the Home PC, it does not connect, even though the home PC shows the library has started (port 80). Havent made any changes to my home router (DGL-4300) as yet.  Suggestions, corrections, any advice would be much appreciated.  Just want to be able to play my tunes at work. Have tried to read and follow the instructions on how to set up the client and server, but I am obviously missing something..Also, once the connection is made, will my entire Home Pc library be downloaded to the copy of MC12 on my work PC?  Since my library is over 150GB (APE), that would not be practical....
Thanks
jock

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Hamachi/Library Server-How to
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 11:20:17 am »

What is Hamachi?

On your home machine, what server are you running in MC?

Are the versions of MC the same?  Both current?

mp3jockey

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 11:26:05 am »

Jim:

Hamachi is a centrally-managed zero-configuration virtual private network (VPN) freeware application capable of establishing direct links between computers that are behind NAT firewalls without requiring reconfiguration (in most cases); in other words, it establishes a connection over the Internet that very closely emulates the connection that would exist if the computers were connected over a local area network.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi

Both versions of MC12 I am using are current...Using Library server on the Home PC (Win XP Pro).  Been using MC for a number of years now..just now trying to play music remotely...
jock

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:51:16 pm »

There are some suggestions here:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Library_Server#Tracking_Down_Problems

What are the results of trying these?

j

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 12:52:11 pm »

You might want to get it running at home on two machines first, then try again.  Maybe you've done that.

I'm sorry, but we won't be much help with this configuration.

mp3jockey

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 01:02:48 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions: I'll try them all.  I just had it in my head that, if I set up the tunnel using Hamachi between the two PCs(which Hamachi does sucessfully), I could then run MC12 client/server setup without having to do anything fancy regarding IP addresses, and such...but I may be barking up the wrong tree.  If anyone has Hamachi experience, please feel free to chime in..

Thanks again!

jock

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 11:10:51 am »

Jim, helping users access their music from the other side of their router could be a massive opportunity for you guys. Some little plugin or extension to MC that finds your routers IP address, maps it to username@jriver.com domain, and sets up or guides the user through the necessary port forwarding setup, so that anybody and his mum can access their music and photos on a copy of MC just by typing in that domain name.

You could limit it to 10 users, to stop people from broadcasting their library to the whole world. You wouldnt even need hamachi or any other tunelling software to do it. I'm pretty sure that this feature would be an instant hit with the everyman, if it required no technical knowledge to set it up. Imagine being able to market MC as software to organize your media, and share with your family and friends.

doubleonad

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 04:26:23 pm »

I just recently tried to do this as well. What got me started was a friend wanting to do this very same thing using Hamachi and iTunes. It works without any configuration, really. You create a Hamachi network, install the client on both (or more) PCs, and join the network. Both computers are then on their own VPN, and iTunes sees other iTunes (shared) libraries.

Because it worked so easily, I figured MC would be pretty similar. I know MC does not automatically find shared libraries on the nework, but rather, you have to search for them. This would actually be a nice addition to the software. I suppose I ought to put in a request for it.

I tried searching for library servers, and it didn't find anything. You can, however, manually add a server, and use your Hamachi IP address (should be 5.X.X.X) and it will work. You shouldn't have to do any firewall configuration because both machines are on the same subnet.

I think the reason it works across subnets in iTunes is because of Bonjour, the network broadcasting service that Apple uses. I have not done any real testing with Bonjour, as I don't know much about how it works. I may tinker with it or at least try disabling it and seeing if sharing over Hamachi still works.

Let me know if you have any questions about what I did to get it working. Additionally, let me know if you manage to get the "search for library servers" function to work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up