INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Round II: Problems Syncing WM6 device  (Read 4453 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
Round II: Problems Syncing WM6 device
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:40:31 pm »

I refer to this post for symptoms (This is the "Round I" post): http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47073.0

I thought the problem was solved, but now it has popped up again...

So, here's some more info. What I did now was:
o Remove and ignore devices
o I deleted \Storage Card\JRInfo.xml and \Storage Card\JRState.xml
o I deleted the playlists *from my device*. (located under \Storage Card\Playlists).
o I deleted all music from my device (\Storage Card\Music)
o I did a redetect all devices through the handheld options
o The sync playlist now contains only two files and... the previously reported error is still there..

(Btw, during this process, a dialog box popped up behind the sync options box. I couldn't get it to focus, but the yes/no buttons were visible. MC was not responsive. After a while, I had to press yes (I'm an optimist) and MS Dev Studio popped up. Some unhandled exception in MC, I guess)

Here's the \Storage Card\JRInfo.xml file after MC fails to sync:
Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<DIC Version="1.05">
<InfoKey/>
<Item>
<Field Name="Path">Music\R. Morgan\Altered Carbon\05. 5 - R. Morgan - Altered Carbon.mp3</Field>
<Field Name="MetaData">(1:3)(4:Name)(38:05. 5 - R. Morgan - Altered Carbon.mp3)(9:File Size)(8:14404381)(10:Media Type)(5:Audio)</Field>
<Field Name="HHKey">05. 5 - R. Morgan - Altered Carbon.mp314404381</Field>
</Item>
<Item>
<Field Name="Path">Music\R. Morgan\Altered Carbon\06. 6 - R. Morgan - Altered Carbon.mp3</Field>
<Field Name="MetaData">(1:3)(4:Name)(38:06. 6 - R. Morgan - Altered Carbon.mp3)(9:File Size)(8:14404380)(10:Media Type)(5:Audio)</Field>
<Field Name="HHKey">06. 6 - R. Morgan - Altered Carbon.mp314404380</Field>
</Item>
</DIC>

Any suggestions?

raldo

Re: Round II: Problems Syncing WM6 device
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 03:06:03 am »

Bump...

My sister is getting an HTC Touch Diamond, and I'd rather not recommend that she start using Windows Media Player...

raldo

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:39:02 am »

Some more info:

This is what the JRInfo.xml file looks like after the initial sync (When all looks ok):

<Field Name="MetaData">(1:9)(4:Name)(2:11)(7:Track #)(2:11)(6:Artist)(9:R. Morgan)(9:File Size)(8:14404380)(5:Album)(14:Altered Carbon)(7:Bitrate)(2:32)(5:Genre)(10:Audio Book)(8:Duration)(4:3600)(10:Media Type)(5:Audio)</Field>

And after recheck sync (not ok):

<Field Name="MetaData">(1:3)(4:Name)(39:11. 11 - R. Morgan - Altered Carbon.mp3)(9:File Size)(8:14404380)(10:Media Type)(5:Audio)</Field>

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 03:58:20 am »

Are you WM6.0 or WM6.1?
JRiver CEO Elect

raldo

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 04:05:15 am »

HTC s730, WM6 Standard, ce os 5.2.1622 (Build 18128.0.4.4)

raldo

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 03:59:59 am »

bump..............................

raldo

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 02:53:05 am »

bump...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 09:26:56 am »

I want to be certain I understand.

You sync a file or two.

You unplug the device.

When you come back, the metadata is not filled in.  This confuses things and causes MC to want to sync again.

Is this correct?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

raldo

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 10:21:14 am »

That is correct, you can provoke the problem like you explain.

[But once you have synced, a recheck sync will also have the same effect]

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 11:29:41 am »

I'm not able to reproduce this.

What's happening is that the free space on the device has changed from the last sync so we reanalyze the device to check for changes.

During the process, it's failing to match the files it finds to the existing database entries.

What if you sync to the device instead of the storage card?  I'm wondering if the storage card path is causing problems.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

raldo

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 12:40:38 pm »

Syncing to the device works, I just tried it. Both recheck after sync and recheck after reconnect.

Just an observation: The files that are *on the device but not in the mc sync list* are listed only with the filename in the name field (just like when the sync fails on the storage card!)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 05:06:42 am »

Matt, I'd uploaded some logs as reported previously:

I've done some more WM6 testing and have attached three logs at http://www.2shared.com/file/3653552/83beb1bb/Logs.html
1st - Sync two albums (worked fine)
2nd - Sync a playlist (worked fine + 1st sync appeared correctly)
3rd - Missing Meta data - fails to sync problem as reported previously

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

raldo

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 02:28:01 am »

bump.....

raldo

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 02:58:36 am »

bump.....

raldo

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 01:42:51 am »

bump.....

raldo

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 04:49:18 am »

bump.....

chaznet

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 02:23:11 am »

I never could get syncing with my WM 6 Pro device and gave up.  What does work well though is just dragging the tracks I want onto the device and/or storage card icons over on the left pane.  This works for me -- though I don't really know what the difference between what I'm doing, and what syncing is.  How are they different?

raldo

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 05:59:51 am »

I never could get syncing with my WM 6 Pro device and gave up.  What does work well though is just dragging the tracks I want onto the device and/or storage card icons over on the left pane.  This works for me -- though I don't really know what the difference between what I'm doing, and what syncing is.  How are they different?

With syncing, you leave management of files on your handheld to MC. You specify which playlists shall be downloaded and MC removes/adds files on your handheld when you change the playlists. MC can also modify the files upon download, for example downsample the files (so there's more room), add coverart, etc-.

What is your PC platform? On XP, ideally MS ActiveSync4.5 is used, whereas on vista there is something called Mobile Device Manager which serves the same purpose, I believe.

I don't think my HTCs730 can work as a "Mass Storage client" so I'm using Active Sync. Currenty, Sync is working well for me (update12.0.533). But there have been some ups and downs, and the "news" for each release have no entries as to why sync should work now and not on previous updates.

chaznet

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 03:44:53 am »

I'm using Vista with WMDC, but the file stuff is done via Media Center.  Without using 'Sync', downsampling is done per the device setting in MC options, and the coverart is copied over as well.  I establish a connection with my device, whether it's Bluetooth or USB, and then run MC -- my device, and its storage card appear under 'Drives and Devices' on the left pane and I can drag individual tracks, albums, or playists and drop them on either.  The files wind up in the 'Music' folder using a file structure specified in MC options, ie: ARTIST\ALBUM.

If I click the device or storage card icon in MC, it shows what files are present and I can delete those I no longer want (which can also be done in Windows Explorer, or on the device itself).

I'm thinking, but really don't know, that if I had syncing working and I changed something about a track (added or changed a tag?), or added coverart to a album that was synchronized, that those types of changes would come over?  Again, just a guess.  I'm just pleased it works well the way I'm doing it.

The only real quirk I've run into is that often the device and storage card won't show up in MC until I run Windows Media Player.  It 'sees' them, and then they show up in MC.

With syncing, you leave management of files on your handheld to MC. You specify which playlists shall be downloaded and MC removes/adds files on your handheld when you change the playlists. MC can also modify the files upon download, for example downsample the files (so there's more room), add coverart, etc-.

What is your PC platform? On XP, ideally MS ActiveSync4.5 is used, whereas on vista there is something called Mobile Device Manager which serves the same purpose, I believe.

I don't think my HTCs730 can work as a "Mass Storage client" so I'm using Active Sync. Currenty, Sync is working well for me (update12.0.533). But there have been some ups and downs, and the "news" for each release have no entries as to why sync should work now and not on previous updates.

raldo

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 04:28:18 pm »

my device, and its storage card appear under 'Drives and Devices' on the left pane and I can drag individual tracks, albums, or playists and drop them on either.  The files wind up in the 'Music' folder using a file structure specified in MC options, ie: ARTIST\ALBUM.

I never tried this. It is interesting that the sync mechanisms are used for the copy

I'm thinking, but really don't know, that if I had syncing working and I changed something about a track (added or changed a tag?), or added coverart to a album that was synchronized, that those types of changes would come over?  Again, just a guess.  I'm just pleased it works well the way I'm doing it.

I'm not sure what criteria are used for sync, but the xml file on the storage card shows name, artist album etc, so maybe coverart only is copied when new files are transferred.

You're quite close though: Right click the device where you usually drop files. Select options. On the right side of the dialog you can select the playlists to be synced. Ok dialog, rightclick device and hit sync now (Alternatively, Open action window, lower left and select sync handheld)

The only real quirk I've run into is that often the device and storage card won't show up in MC until I run Windows Media Player.  It 'sees' them, and then they show up in MC.

Strange. Reinstall active sync?

chaznet

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 01:54:31 am »

It's not ActiveSync, it's WMDC (Windows Mobile Device Center)... and... no thanks, it's not broke, nor is it directly used when syncing MC with my device.  I'm fine with things the way they are: working.  Once you start using Vista, you soon realize that if you have WMDC working OK with your device, thank whatever god you worship and leave it alone  ;)

Strange. Reinstall active sync?

Pages: [1]   Go Up