INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: 3D Wall  (Read 22653 times)

Marra

• World Citizen
Re: NEW: 3D Wall
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2008, 01:25:27 pm »

Filtering by drop down panes would be great.

But what about an "alternating view scheme" button. This would quickly switch between 3D view to an alternate view scheme customised by the user. In my case this would be grouping by album  to show all album tracks. Grouping would be improved with a similiar "play all" option for each album rather than highlighting all tracks of the album to play. Switching between views would be simple.

Also the details shown when the cover is flipped in 3D view should be customisable.

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2008, 01:37:36 pm »

I'd LOVE to see this as an option under Views in Theater View.
To be able to have this kind of album browsing under a user defined level in view schemes would be awsome.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2008, 06:20:26 pm »

I think my laptop is a bit to slow/old to use this feature. It looks not so good ugly.

But instead of showing only 10 tracks of a selected album, as my high end Vista desktop PC does, my good old IBM Thinkpad is able to display 13 Tracks at once :D Nice, isn't it? Perhaps I should try MC with my oldest 200Mhz to get even more tracks displayed at the wall  ;)

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2008, 07:25:14 am »

When you first open 3D Wall first it draws without cover art and then, with, no matter how many times you open it, and on a decent spec machine.
Could it not be done in one swoop?

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2008, 07:45:34 am »

I've recently revisited this and it's certainly come a long way! I also have a new graphics card, and it seems that that might have been my limiting factor with the poor performance before...

Three observations/suggestions, the second two mainly geared at application of the 3D wall outside the music/album art arena.

When I click on an album, and it spins around, the file list/header are very big text and look geared more towards theatre view. For desktop use, I think we could really afford smaller/cleaner text. This way we could see more tracks. I'd actually love to have more album information in here... almost like an "Album Info" page built in.

I know there have been some recent changes with handling images of different dimensions... Are there any plans to have this done dynamically? For example, if I have a bunch of photos, MC can determine that a rectangular layout is more appropriate than a square? Same for movie posters -- square isn't ideal.

Finally, how about applying the "scroll through images in this album" setup when you hover over an album with multiple images?

pank2002

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2008, 10:31:16 am »

Some thoughts on the 3D Wall.
First of all, as I have stated previously. Most of the time I use the 3D wall to located an album these days. However, it might be nice if there were easy access to filtering. One example could be buttons along the top, for example a genre button and a sort button or just buttons that the user customize after his vises.

Also, it think it should be easier to make playlists from the 3D view. Imagine that you could put a playlist in each corner. As you browse through the albums you can drag a track from an album up to a corner and it will be added to whatever playlist "rest" in there.

I have tried to illustrate it in the figure below:

At the moment MC always go for three rows. Sometimes it might be better to go for two rows like here:

The 3D wall should maybe be tweaked a bit for videos and pictures. At the moment videos are sorted by albums or something like that. It would probably be nice if the user could easily chose how videos were grouped. Lets say they are sorted by show. Imagine that I chose South Park. When I select South Park I could be taken to a new wall (maybe via the tunnel 3D vis. built in to MC already) that contains the seasons. When I select a season it could be shown the familiar list of episodes but it would also be nice if I could somehow see a preview without leaving the wall.

"Illustration": Wall 1: Shows --> Wall 2: Seasons of selected show --> List of episodes in season -->  (optional) Preview of some episode --> Selected episode is played

With pictures there might be a similar system as the one mentioned above. For pictures it would definitely be nice with previews. It might actually be even better to drop list of pictures and go thumbnails only. On wall 1 I might select some event (or something else based on the way pictures are sorted). On the second wall I am shown all pictures or some kind of second sort order. If I chose to preview them there might be some cool effect where one pictures is pulled out to the left and another picture enter on the right.

If playlists could be put in a corner it might also be useful when pictures for sharing is to be selected. Lets us say I want to share pictures from some event with everybody. I could show the event on the wall and easily identify pictures that are worthy for sharing. Afterword I could easily put 'em on pix01.

As Darichman mentioned it would be nice if graphics were a bit "sharper". This is also true for cover rotations.

Cheers,
Rasmus
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2008, 10:05:39 pm »

pank that's a good idea. We could browse the groupings by moving horizontally, and then to go into one of then we press "up" or something. This would cause the grouping to fan out into z-space and the camera orientation could change so that you now browse by moving backwards and forwards.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2008, 03:18:13 am »

3D Wall is a cute idea, I like it.

I have two issues with the implementation of the idea though  ;)

First, the scrolling (maybe strolling?) through your collection seems to have three speeds: stop, crawl and foot-to-the-floor. Maybe there's something I've missed or I'm just not used to it yet, but so far, the speed combined with the sharp angle mean that the odds against me stopping in the right place when scrolling must be about 20 to 1.

Second, where I'd like to see 3D Wall is definitely in Theater View. My HTPC always runs in family-friendly Theater View (unless I have to adjust a setting of course) and has a nice big screen to display eye candy...

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2008, 02:42:38 am »

Fooled around with 3D Wall yesterday again and discovered scrolling using the arrow keys on my keyboard is considerably smoother than using a mouse, but the acceleration is still much too extreme.

Can anyone tell me how the wall is sorted and how I can change the sort criteria? The order mine displays in is very odd. Sort of half alphabetical by artist with the rest of the covers in between, in an apparently random muddle (though I'm sure it's not).

Bobo4567

• Recent member
3D Wall allocates 50% - 99% CPU
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2008, 03:26:34 pm »

Hi,

3D wall is to slow on my 1,7 GHz Centrino Notebook (1GB RAM). The mouse pointer jumps and MC causes an average CPU load of about 85%.
First I thought that MC takes some time to build up an thumbnail cache. But hours later, even after some reboots, CPU load is still high.

Any idea? Thanks for the help!

MrHaugen

Re: 3D Wall allocates 50% - 99% CPU
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2008, 04:02:54 pm »

Hi,

3D wall is to slow on my 1,7 GHz Centrino Notebook (1GB RAM). The mouse pointer jumps and MC causes an average CPU load of about 85%.
First I thought that MC takes some time to build up an thumbnail cache. But hours later, even after some reboots, CPU load is still high.

Sounds to me like you're thumbnail building is not done yet. Missing thumbnails in the screen shot as well. Try to do the thumbnail build manualy. Tools -> Options -> Tree and View -> Thumbnails -> Build missing thumbnails. Building the thumbnails can take alot of time. Especialy when you have videos as well. And as others have commented, the thumbnails are not build while you're in 3D Wall.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Bobo4567

• Recent member
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2008, 05:00:12 pm »

Thanks MrHaugen - this was the right hint!

mata7

• World Citizen
  • Me Drunk Singing Salsa
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2008, 12:42:00 am »

why is that 3d only show 10 tracks on my albums, is that a bug?

FREDDYPD

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2008, 04:13:48 pm »

Can we get 3d album in Theater view?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up