INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting library to different computer  (Read 1625 times)

Puffkin123

• Recent member
Exporting library to different computer
« on: September 23, 2008, 01:10:13 am »

I just purchased a media center PC and have a database of about 750 music videos. I've cropped and stretched all videos to the format i want them at and have also tagged each video with artist and genre. I want to export my library and import it into my JR. Media Center on my media center PC. Willl all my videos keep their tags and aspect ratios if i load the library and all the files are in different paths then the one on the original computer?  Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Exporting library to different computer
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 03:08:10 am »

The standard Auto-Import feature would remove the dead links and import the video files from the new location. You would lose your library tags so it is not what you want to use.

You can restore a library backup file (File > Library > Back Up/Restore Library) and fix the base paths with the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool. The tool has an option for replacing a part of the directory path in the library with another string without touching the media files at all. For example, you can change D:\Video\ to E:\Video\Music Video\.

Another option is to export an mpl playlist file of all videos and import the mpl file on the other PC. (File > Export/Import Playlist). An mpl playlist contains all library field data of the included files (but not view schemes or other playlists). The playlist export tool has an option for relative paths. If an mpl playlist with relative paths is exported to a base folder it will work on the new PC if all files and folders that are under the basefolder are still correct. It must be imported from the same relative location. For example: export to D:\Video\ and import from E:\Video\Music Video\ .

I'd recommend to switch the Auto-Import feature off before doing this kind of operations. Maybe you could create a small test library and test the workflow before doing the real thing.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Puffkin123

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 04:10:31 am »

I'm planning on copying my music and video files and library in the next few days to my media center pc. I'm having problems loading the plugin to get net remote to work with JR Media center and was suggested to try a reinstall of MC to get it working. I backed up and loading library and all my tags still remain but all my aspect ratios have been changed to default. Is there anyway to save them?? 

Any i'm still having problems loading the plugin for netremote..

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 04:30:03 am »

The last used aspect ratio is stored in the Playback Info library field. I just exported an mpl file and it was included.

You could check if the Playback Info field has any values after a library restore.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bnick

Re: Exporting library to different computer - path error
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 04:01:52 pm »

I just had to take my machine running MC down for repairs. For the interem I moved my music database to a new network drive and loaded MC on my laptop. I modified the filename field with the tool.
It was fairly painless, once I figured out that I had to install quicktime for the M4a files

Thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up