INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: replaygain unsupported in wma  (Read 1748 times)

jarthel

• Recent member
replaygain unsupported in wma
« on: October 09, 2008, 07:11:01 am »

I know MC12 supports replaygain.

But I was reading hydrogenaudio and it seems replaygain is unsupported in wma formats. maybe enabling replaygain in MC12 somehow overcomes this limitation?

here's the related link: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless_comparison

thank you

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: replaygain unsupported in wma
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:05:23 am »

It just means that Microsoft has not defined a standardized format for adding the replay gain tags.

In MC all internally supported audio formats can be analyzed and the replay gain correction can be applied during playback. MC adds its own replay gain tags to wma files. If the file format does not support tagging at all (like wave) MC stores the measured replay gain values only in its database.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jarthel

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:27:54 am »

It just means that Microsoft has not defined a standardized format for adding replay gain tags.

In MC all internally supported audio formats can be analyzed and the replay gain correction can be applied during playback. MC adds its own replay gain tags to wma files. If the file format does not support tagging at all (like wave) MC stores the measured replay gain values only in its database.

thanks for clarifying that issue. I was thinkin of reripping the CDs I've ripped to FLAC instead of WMA lossless just because of the replaygain issue.

ps. I'm apathetic to the open vs close source debate. :)

jarthel

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:44:11 pm »

MC adds its own replay gain tags to wma files.

I want to clarify that statement. Are you saying J River modifies the tags?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 02:43:27 am »

It adds new tags for storing the replay gain info. These are like any other normal tags in the files.

By default MC always writes tag changes to the files and creates new file tags when needed (most people expect it to do that), but you can disable tag writing in the field specific options or completely in the general options. MC can work as well by keeping all tag data in its database.

The replay gain system is a two-stage process. You need to analyze the files before you can use the playback correction system. The analysis process decodes the files and measures the track gain and track peak values. In addition MC's analyzer measures the BPM and Intensity values which are not needed for the replay gain system, but might provide useful information. In MC you have two options for analyzing existing files. You can set the analyzer to run automatically in the background as a part of the import process or select the files and run the analyzer manually. In addition, you can set MC to automatically analyze the ripped files in the CD ripping options.

Here's more info about the replay gain system in general: http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/
The system really does not need any support from the file format. Any normal audio file can be analyzed and the measured replay gain values can be used for automatically setting the playback volume level.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jarthel

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 04:41:27 am »

thank you for the clear explanation! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up