INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marko or any others knowledgable with smartlists.. help with setting\rules. I'd  (Read 2631 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

Like to incorporate into my coolmix smartlist.

I made a smartlst a while back named 5 stars.. and ive noticed during my parties when i go to my special coolmix,genres playlists which is all music genres but only those songs with 5 stars in them... alot of my playlist were very short. well after going to check my 5 star smartlist i noticed many of my songs i saved as 5 stars are not in my coolmix,genres Playlists...

Is there Anyway i can edit my 5 star smartlist so that no matter what genre i'm listening to, if i hear a cool tune and 5 star it, it will automatically add it to the appopriate coolmix playlist?

example... i goto my music playlist which has all Genres,All Artists, All There Music
If I'm in the mood to listen to music ive never listened too, or just imported (recently imported).. and i hear a cool tune, (we'll say it's in rock genre\playlist under Music).. Is There anyway i can 5 star it and it will automatically be put into my Coolmix Rock playlist? or do i have to do what i have been doing (and obviously missed ALOT of them) which is when i hear it i 5 star it then also goto tag, playlists then coolmix then appopriate coolmix playlist and tick it.

Would save me alot of work and make me feel comfortable that a song i once heard and 5 star'd is Def. going to be in it's appopriate coolmix genre\playlist.

Thank You for any help\Tips!

zxsix

• MC Beta Team

It sounds like your Coolmix is a playlist and not a smartlist.

Edit the smartlist.
At the bottom, there's a button to import/export
Paste this in there and save it.
As you can see, the only criteria is that the file be an audio file and the rating is 5.  No mention of genre or anything else means they will all be included.  Since it's a smartlist and not a static playlist, it updates automatically by nature of you tagging a song with a 5 star rating.

[Rating]=5 [Media Type]=[audio]

HTPC4ME

i think i may have explained it wrong...sorry

ok i have a playlist title named music which has all genres in it(playlists of rock, 80's, rnb, classical, relaxing, soul etc... in those are ALL Artists and Albums for that genre.

then i made a playlist named coolmixes which has the identical genre names in it (playlists of rock 80's, rnb, classical relaxing, soul etc... ) but the only songs i have in those would be those i have 5 star'd from the playlist named music.. in coolmix i have one smartlist named 5 stars which shows all the 5 stars of all genres under coolmix's.. my issue is that if i goto coolmix dance, and then cross reference it with all the 5 stars under the 5 star smartlist there is over 1000 MORE dance songs in the 5 star smartlist then there is in the dance coolmix.... So therefor i have not tagged those other 5 star dance tunes... Is there an auto playlist\smartlist i can make when i 5 star it (no matter the genre\playlist) if it was originally  a dance tune once i 5 star it, it automatically would go into the Dance coolmix playlist? and the same with other playlists\genres i would 5 star.. they would automatically go into the appropriate 5 star coolmix playlist.

^^^^^ that is how i have the 5 star setup now

but im wonderng if it's at all possible to add a rule that says something like.. if from playlist Music\rock, and 5star'd copy to coolmix\rock and all 5star songs smartlist.  hope i explained this better.. sorry for any confussion i may have caused, and thanks for your time and reply.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team

You can include a smartlist inside another smartlist.
I'm still a little confused by your explanation.  Let me lay out an example of what I think you mean...

PLAYLIST  MUSIC
contains these songs rated as shown.
Song1  = 3 stars
Song2  = 3 stars
Song3  = 4 stars
Song4  = 5 stars
Song5  = 3 stars
Song6  = 5 stars

Now you want another smartlist that only contains the 5 star rated songs?
So this new smartlist would only contain Song4 and Song6 in this example?

Here's one that I have that's similar.  See if this helps:

[Genre]=[Pop] [Rating]=5 playlistid==106583143

So, there's another larger smartlist that contains a ton of songs from different genres.
This smartlist looks at that other smartlist (MC used an id number, choose yours from the list), then only selects the 5 star rated songs from the pop genre.  Obviously you could leave the genre statement out, then you would get only 5 star songs from within that other playlist.

marko

• MC Beta Team

I've read both explanations a couple of times, and I *think* I know what you're after, and it should be achievable but...

I also think that you may well be talking about playlist groups, playlists and smartlists, and that part of things is still a little unclear.
Unfortunately, to get the right advice, that part of things needs to be crystal clear :)

If my interpretation below is way off target, is there any chance you could expand the referenced playlist groups and post a screenshot of your tree?

Here's what I imagine you have:

The music group contains everything.
The coolmix group mirrors the music group, but only includes 5 star rated tracks from their respective smartlists in 'music' (or at least it should do, but it's not working correctly)

Note that in my screenshot, all the lists are smartlists, not playlists.
Did I get that right?

-marko

HTPC4ME

i think we are getting somewhere. maybe im confussed now.. but i like your explanation see pics

in music is all my music on all drives.. in cool mixes are all those songs from music i have 5 star'd but the only reason they are in the cool mixes is because i put them there after 5 star'n them.. then chose tag and chose the appropriate coolmix genre for that 5 star'd item.  but by doing soo. when im busy.. or others 5 star items and they dont know how to tag it so therefor many don't end up in appropriate coolmix playlist.

see pic. if i need to explain more in depth please let me know... TY

HTPC4ME

does it make sense ?

ty

HTPC4ME

i upgraded to latest version today.. and i noticed this in the updates.. what does this mean? where can i find info on it and is this what i would need maybe to accomplish what i'm looking for?

14. NEW: Added edit type "Five stars" that can be selected for user created database fields.

If from playlist MUSIC\Rock, And 5 star'd Then Copy To Coolmix Playlist Rock?

ty

marko

• MC Beta Team

in coolmix i have one smartlist named 5 stars which shows all the 5 stars of all genres under coolmix's.. my issue is that if i goto coolmix dance, and then cross reference it with all the 5 stars under the 5 star smartlist there is over 1000 MORE dance songs in the 5 star smartlist then there is in the dance coolmix....

^^^^^ that is how i have the 5 star setup now
That five star smartlist will not be limited to only tracks under the Coolmix group, it will actually list every 5 rated audio file contained in your library. If you want the 5 star smartlist under Cool Mix's to only list files from Cool Mix's, then add a rule to it like so:
[rating]=5 [media type]=[audio] p="Cool Mix's"

So therefor i have not tagged those other 5 star dance tunes... Is there an auto playlist\smartlist i can make when i 5 star it (no matter the genre\playlist) if it was originally  a dance tune once i 5 star it, it automatically would go into the Dance coolmix playlist? and the same with other playlists\genres i would 5 star.. they would automatically go into the appropriate 5 star coolmix playlist.
There's no way I'm aware of to automatically add a track to a playlist. That is what smartlists are for.
In order to achieve what you want, you would need to do as zxsix has suggested and change those playlists to smartlists, setting up genre and rating rules for each one. Using your question as an example:
Your dance coolmix playlist would become a smartlist, and the rule for that smartlist (using the wizard to pick the playlist) would be simply:

Playlist is Music\Dance, Rating is 5

Any track you later add to the Music\Dance playlist and then rate 5 will automatically appear in this coolmix smartlist.
-----

Are we any closer?

HTPC4ME

i think 'm getting you now.. just so i'm clear

All my playlists under coolmixes, change to smartlists with the identical names and then add the 5 star rule.

and by doing so from my picture, i then could remove the 5 star smartlist (which had all genres\playlists in it), correct?

HTPC4ME

ok tried your guys suggestions and it works Great.. only concern for me is... and it's a big one

i notice with smartlist the songs have to be from that playlist you choose.

But some of my coolmixes i made are fromdiffrent playlists.. meaning

acdc back in black for example. i 5 star'd and is from the MUSIC\rock playlist.. but in my coolmixes\playlists (not smartlists) i have it under coolmix\rock mix\party mix\roadtrip mix (which all those spcial mixes i use for diffrent occassions)

but now that i have added the smartlists i cant drag acdc back in black to other smartlists if i want to cause they dont fall into the rules,is there any way around this?

ANOTHER GOOD EXAMPLE. I HAVE A COOL MIX CALLED ONE HIT WONDERS, WELL ONE HIT WONDERS COULD ALSO BE IN, ROCK,RNB,RELAXING, DANCE ETC UNDER COOLMIX GENRES

any other suggestions? or i have i gotten to smartlists limitations? maybe there is a rule i can add if added manually then allo it in multiple smartlists?

zxsix

• MC Beta Team

each smartlist's rules determine what gets put in there.
you tag the files to fall into those rules.
by tagging a song with a 5-star, it would affect and update any smartlists that reference a rating of 5 in their ruleset.
The whole point of smartlists is for you to NOT have to manually assign tracks to them.
Static playlists are dinosaurs.  I don't have a single one in my library.
Create a single smartlist that defines the largest subgroup of music you would want in that group.
Then make additional smartlists referencing that main one that filters down from there.
Something like this heirarchy.

SmartlistBIG
media type = audio, genre not podcast, soundtrack, or comedy, rating not = 1

SmartlistDANCE
playlist = SmartlistBIG, genre = dance or hiphop, duration > 1:00

SmartlistDANCE 5-star only
playlist = SmartlistDANCE, rating = 5

It's all up to your imagination, but make the smartlist rules work for you instead of you having to work to manually assign the tracks.  Your only effort should be properly tagging the files.

HTPC4ME

So basically from my pic atttched.. you dont have a folder with subfolders for ALL your music?

then seperate smartlists\playlist to help you narrow it down?  you just use all smartlists?

can you give an example why you would have a smartlist as you mentioned BIG?  how would that behouve me? over the way i have it setup.. guess i'm just use to the old way, but always looking for new ways to change it\make it easier for others! :)

I am really liking the smartlists the more I play with them and build them thanks for your guys patience and knowledge in this

zxsix

• MC Beta Team

Correct, I have NO static playlists anywhere.

I have several smartlists that filter music on various things, whether that be rating, genre, year by decade, etc.

Smartlists also control what gets sync'd to portable devices, and it's also how UPNP streaming devices access the library, so I have some smartlists that filter songs for certain scenarios.
For example, I have a handful of smartlists that I would use when out by the pool.  Basically these filter out and ignore certain genres (don't want talk radio podcasts or Christmas music to play) and BPM (don't want slow songs) and song duration (no short intros or really long songs).

I also use smartlists for other utility functions such as 'find all songs with missing cover art' or 'find all songs with missing tags'.

I never look at a specific song and say, gee, this needs to be included in these 3 playlists.  They just end up there by the nature of how I tag the song.
Start with one smartlist that contains all songs.
Then create other smartlists with additional filters, whether that rule be a genre, or rating, or year, etc.
Keep building until you have everything you need covered.

I also use the People field and tag each song with that.  Certain music the kids aren't allowed to listen to due to language or subject matter.  Those are tagged with only my wife's and my name.  Hannah Montana is only tagged with my daughter's name, etc.
Then there are four smartlists that basically say People=zxsix.  That shows all artists that I like.  People = daughter's name shows only the artists she likes.  Some songs are tagged with the name of all four family members.
So when I open my smartlist, I don't see Hannah Montana or any of that old 80's big hair new wave stuff my wife likes  :)
Then additional smartlists start breaking it down from there based on genre or year or rating.

HTPC4ME

wow.. so basically options are endless..

only thing ive used plalists for was for maintenance.. missing covers, artisttag missing, album, vids missing, etc...

never used it to organize music. but looks like it may come in handy.

i like the idea of using a smartlist for years... really would help for sorting purposes cause i know alot of people get confussed at my party's.  80's playlist well many 80's artists are also in rock playlist cause they are still making music..Same with Soundtracks.. be nice to somehow incorporate all soundtracks artists into the original artists work. (that one i'm not sure how to do...but will work on it) But t should save the headache for them when they looked for certain songs artists etc.. the only way it would truelly work for them the way i had it set up was by doing a  WHOLE Music Playlist search for that artist\album\song etc...

thanks again fo yor time and switching me over to this route!
Pages: [1]   Go Up