INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center writing tags to wrong fields (restart needed)  (Read 3231 times)

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
Media Center writing tags to wrong fields (restart needed)
« on: October 25, 2008, 04:14:57 pm »

Hi!

I had some really strange behaviour just now. When I tried to edit "Year" (in tag window), the number I entered got written to Number plays instead. After a reboot, it was ok again, but I had to go over and reset those I had tried to update.

A bit scary when such things happen, but I guess it would be really hard to sort out as well, since I cannot reproduce it...
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
Re: Strange behaviour which reboot solved.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 04:33:22 pm »

Hmm. Now it happened again. I'll try to investigate what reproduces it, since I did not do much this time...
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 07:20:00 am »

Hi zirum,
Can you remember what you were doing with MC around this time?

I've also seen quirks like this, generally, only when tagging and moving new library content, updating coverart, artist album tags etc.
Like you, I'm also having trouble finding 'reproduce at will' steps.

-marko

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:54:35 am »

Ok, I could reproduce at my computer.

I tried to update "Year" at a album, which worked fine. Then, I have a custom field named "Editable Number Plays" with calculated data = [Number Plays], which was only enabled for Video. By just enabling this for audio, when I now edit "Year", Number Plays gets edited instead.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 01:33:56 pm »

No responses...?

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
  • But I don't wanna be the same as everybody else...
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 02:22:38 pm »

I've had some strangeness like this too. I couldn't tell what was triggering it but entering info, in, say, the album field (from a view pane), sent the information to the wrong field, or didn't enter it at all...? Just started doing things different ways and ignored it since I couldn't reproduce it repeatedly.

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 07:28:37 pm »

This just happened again - while trying to change the [album] tag of a group of songs by selecting the album in a top view pane and editing the text in that pane, after hitting return, MC changed the text in [genre] to the text I'd just entered, and left the [album] text alone. Took a few minutes to find the songs afterwards! Not sure when this happens but it keeps happening.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 01:55:42 am »

Can you remember what you did ahead of this? Did you do something in the library field manager, like I did to reprouduce this?

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 08:36:58 am »

As far as I can tell - every time I select an album via an upper pane in details view, then, in the [album] pane, hit F2, and change the name, it places those changes into the [genre] tag.
Also, I've noticed that when I try to Ctrl-select several items in a pane using the keyboard, if those items continue off of the visible list, the listbox scrolls down with me and is ok until i select an item with the space bar, then suddenly it scrolls back up so that the 1st item selected is visible - making it very difficult to continue down the list making more selections.

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 03:26:57 pm »

sorry - see the above entry.
I thought that if i modified my last entry it would send this topic back to the top of the list. didn't realize you have to do a whole new reply.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
Re: Media Center writing tags to wrong fields (restart needed)
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 02:23:00 am »

I changed the subject, since it is a bit more than a "strange problem".

Are JRiver looking into this? I would gladly provide any more information if needed...

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 05:15:52 am »

J River will be watching, as am I, because obviously this is quite a serious problem, but is one that's (possibly up till now) has so far been very hard, nigh on impossible to reliably reproduce, and it's not something everyone is seeing, otherwise it would be fixed by now!!

ProblemChild, does the [album] --> [genre] switch happen for you every time you try?
So far, I've only seen these problems after making changes to freshly imported files, or adding/changing cover art, but annoyingly, it doesn't happen every time...
I'm off to try your reproduction steps now, brb...

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 05:40:55 am »

I tried both the 'editable year' thing, and the 'F2 in the album pane' thing...
both worked as expected.

frustrating, huh :)

ATM, I'm confident we'll find it, just not sure how long it's going to take. IIRC, a while back, we had an 'empty folder removal' bug that took ages to nail, 6 months - 1 year?

In the meantime, anything at all that helps to reproduce the bug is appreciated, and if anyone else has seen any such wierdness, please post and let us know. We may find we all have something in common. Detail is king in these situations. For example, zirum, when i tried your steps to reproduce, I made changes to the year field in the tag window. Is that where you make your changes too? Do filetypes or media types matter?

I've been wondering if it's an XP only thing...
I'm XP-SP3 here, anyone not using XP?

-marko

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 06:35:42 am »

A log might help.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 06:49:27 am »

I run WinXP Pro SP3, with library on a NAS if it matters.

I'll try the other things later today hopefully, and provide a log.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 11:29:39 am »

I can't reproduce this, or even think how it could be happening.  Any additional details or a step-by-step would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 03:48:42 pm »

Sorry everyone, I''m dealing with replacing a fr$*&ing broken furnace today and tomorrow. I'm using Vista - for some reason now when I go into MC it's working great so far. I took Jim's suggestion to turn on logging and found that I'd never turned it off, so I saved a copy of what I had and started a new one. The old one is ~350MB and I'm trying to remember now what albums/files I had the problems with, to have something to search for (ideas?). I'm determined to make this happen again tonight. Hopefully the gods will be kind. FYI, with the arrival of v13 I've been really reworking my entire library to do things in better ways I've learned here, etc, so I have been doing a lot of importing files, and removing/quick finding cover art.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 02:50:43 pm »

Thanks for all the logs.

I think this is probably the same problem that was reported here by AlexB (only visible to beta team members):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=49188.0

A fix is coming soon.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 03:52:47 pm »

The problem I reported seems to show up only in the AW > Tag window after I have made changes to the field settings in "Manage Library Fields" (but before a restart).

I cannot reproduce the bug when I tag directly in the columns.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 04:40:48 pm »

The problem I reported seems to show up only in the AW > Tag window after I have made changes to the field settings in "Manage Library Fields" (but before a restart).

I cannot reproduce the bug when I tag directly in the columns.

That's because internally fields can be accessed different ways.  They have a unique name and pointer, but also an index that gets assigned at runtime.  That index was not getting updated properly after using the Manage Library Fields dialog, resulting in problems whenever fields were accessed by their index.  The Tag window does use a field's runtime index.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 01:37:24 am »

>>resulting in problems whenever fields were accessed by their index.<<

Does the playingnow plugin access fields by their index too?
I'm still having big problems with it, but that's without going anywhere near the field manager. Just clutching at straws wondering if perhaps there might be somewhere else they're not being updated.

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up