INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Editing the field Number Plays  (Read 2944 times)

MarkCoutinho

• Citizen of the Universe
Editing the field Number Plays
« on: May 25, 2008, 12:30:26 pm »

I want to edit the field Number Plays. I am aware of the fact that it is a built-in field that keeps track of how many times a song is played but I have my reasons for editing this field for a couple of songs.
Editing the .jmd-file seems not possible.
Is there any way to change this field? Not for all the songs at once, though!

Thanks for thinking with me!
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Editing the field Number Plays
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 12:34:15 pm »

You could export to MPL, edit, and reimport.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

Thanks, Matt. That'll probably do the trick. But... I've been using MC for oh, so many years now but since I don't do this very often I don't know how to import this .mpl-file in MC again.
Also: since my latest re-install shell-integration in Windows Explorer has disappeared, although it's marked to be on in MC Options, General, Shell Options.

How do I import this .mpl file and after that: where can I find it?

Thanks again!
Mark Coutinho

gappie

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 01:25:45 pm »

easier is making a view, and add an expression collumn. put in the expression collumn [number plays].
choose the one you want to change click F2 and enter the number you like.

works nice

:)
gab

Btw: here is a small contribution i made to the Wiki about this:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Changing_the_number_of_plays

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 01:39:41 am »

Brilliant, Gap!! Especially your Wiki-explanation is very clear.
Really ganz toll! (that's German, folks)
Thanks a million.
Mark Coutinho

BitterBoy

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 01:42:42 pm »

I am using an iPod shuffle & nano and it has always been a pain to deal with the last played shortcomings of the shuffle.  I saw this response and hoped that I could use it to update the field - unfortunately, whatever I typed in the "Change LP" column results in a default date of 12/31/1969 7:00 PM.... any suggestions on how I can work around this?

Thanks.

Oh - I am using Jukebox 12.0.48 if it helps.

gappie

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 04:08:42 pm »

I am using an iPod shuffle & nano and it has always been a pain to deal with the last played shortcomings of the shuffle.  I saw this response and hoped that I could use it to update the field - unfortunately, whatever I typed in the "Change LP" column results in a default date of 12/31/1969 7:00 PM.... any suggestions on how I can work around this?

Thanks.

Oh - I am using Jukebox 12.0.48 if it helps.
the problem with last played is that the date is stored in some format that was thought out a long time ago by one of the big guys. its the amount of seconds past since the first of januar 1970, or somthing like that. make a column, an expression column, and put [last played,0] in there, and you get the value that is in that field.  :(

edit: but maybe you could copy the value from a song that has more or less the same value.. guess not much of a help..

and welcume to the forum  :)

BitterBoy

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 07:50:48 pm »

Thanks for the reply. 

I tried manipulating the integer, based on the [last played,0]results.  For instance one track had an integer of 39729.4648726851810352 and then a track played 5 minutes later had 39729.4681134259226383.  I figured that some simple math would get me what a minute was worth and then I could do more simple math to determine what integer I should enter.... simple math led me to.. 39730.6667013888800284 (10/12/08 4:00 PM) well MJ wouldn't accept it and reverted the integer to 25569.2515046296321088 which shows as 1/1/1970.

After looking closely at the numbers, it appears that the digits prior to the decimal reflect the date and after the time, but I can't prove it as no matter what I enter into the [lastplayed, 0] results in a disco era date....

Any other thought as to how I can manipulate this data?

gappie

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 01:36:21 am »

it seems to be a bit confusing and different from what i said. you can export a list as mpl. the value that last played used is there.

1220202303  is 31 aug 2008 19:05. the [last played,0] shows 39691.7951736111062928

now when i type 1220203000 in [lastplayed,0] i get 31 aug 2008 19:16, so 11 minutes later. but the value it shows is 39691.8032407407372375. apparently typing in the right value will work, when you can find out what it is. maybe excell can help.

or you can export to mpl and import the changed values.

BitterBoy

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 03:22:32 pm »

Oooohhhhh.....Got it now!

Thanks... it worked by exporting the mpl, doing some math, and then changing the [lastplayed, 0] field. 

I appreciate all the help!

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 11:20:03 am »

Just added the a second alternative to the wiki. Using a custom field in stead, it is a bit more accessible (in tag window etc.).
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 03:00:47 am »

easier is making a view, and add an expression collumn. put in the expression collumn [number plays].
choose the one you want to change click F2 and enter the number you like.

works nice

I'm a bit confused why this even works, the Edit Type for the [Number of Plays] field clearly says its 'Clear Only'

However I understand why the export-modify-re-import mpl works as it overwrites the value and in effect, overrides the edit type limitation.

So can we conclude that creating an expression field, where [Field] allows any field, read only or not to be modified for the same reason ?

gappie

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 03:46:29 am »

I'm a bit confused why this even works, the Edit Type for the [Number of Plays] field clearly says its 'Clear Only'

However I understand why the export-modify-re-import mpl works as it overwrites the value and in effect, overrides the edit type limitation.

So can we conclude that creating an expression field, where [Field] allows any field, read only or not to be modified for the same reason ?
i think it only works with fields that are clear only, not with fields that can not be edited.

:)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up