INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SearchOmatic  (Read 3225 times)

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Alpha/Betatester
SearchOmatic
« on: October 20, 2008, 06:16:20 pm »

I love it please do not remove ... please do not This is very practically.

13.0.61 (10/20/2008)

9. NEW: Added search suggestions that appear when using the main search box. (experimental -- may be removed)

Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

rjm

SearchOmatic
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 07:10:45 pm »

2. Optimized: Improved performance of several core database operations.
View schemes without grouping feel faster. Well done!
It would be wonderful if you could squeeze a bit more out of views with grouping (they are about twice as slow as views without grouping).

7. Fixed: File open dialogs that showed a preview would not work on Windows XP.
Confirmed ok now.

9. NEW: Added search suggestions that appear when using the main search box. (experimental -- may be removed)
I like it.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
SearchOmatic
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:06:26 pm »

No thanks, I'd like an option to turn this off at least please, I know what I'm looking for, even if I can't find it  :P

Other, perhaps more relavant thoughts- At the moment, you're matching to any text present, even if this is contained within a word & sorting alphabetically by the entire field. I'd consider changing the priority of results so that it lists those with text which was found at the start of a word first, with the other more erroneous matches later in the list.

7. Fixed: File open dialogs that showed a preview would not work on Windows XP.

Can I complain that I've still got a standard Vista browse dialog, not the nice MC skinned dialog with preview I used to have  :'(

-Leezer-

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
SearchOmatic
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 08:32:52 pm »

Other, perhaps more relavant thoughts- At the moment, you're matching to any text present, even if this is contained within a word & sorting alphabetically by the entire field. I'd consider changing the priority of results so that it lists those with text which was found at the start of a word first, with the other more erroneous matches later in the list.

It does put the best few matches at the top.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rjm

SearchOmatic
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 10:07:19 am »

I'd like an option to turn this off at least please, I know what I'm looking for, even if I can't find it  :P
Above I said I liked the new feature. Upon deeper reflection I agree with Leezer. The old search was beautifully clean, simple, and powerful.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
SearchOmatic
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:56:03 am »

Above I said I liked the new feature. Upon deeper reflection I agree with Leezer. The old search was beautifully clean, simple, and powerful.

In the suggestion system's defense, it doesn't take anything away from the old search system.  It's still there -- type and a view filters down.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
SearchOmatic
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 10:56:39 am »

I like this. It makes it quick and easy to run a slightly more advanced search with a minimum of thought and typing. I guess an option to turn it off couldn't hurt, but I don't really see what the big deal is. It doesn't seem to slow anything down or really get in the way at all.

It might benefit from adding some keyboard method of getting the suggestions box to go away without committing to one category. For instance, I might want to run a search of all photos that have the word "Christmas" associated with them. That might be the album, caption, name, etc. The only way to run that search now is to type in Christmas and then click away from the suggestions box to make it go away. I don't really care as I'm not one of those people who never want to leave their keyboard, but I know there are people like that out there.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: SearchOmatic
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 11:13:08 am »

Note that the search suggestions also search program commands.  For example, type Pause to see an example.

We are considering adding options (i.e. Directshow settings...) and view names (i.e. Matt's Playlist) as well.

We're not sure either of these are good ideas, so feedback welcome.

gappie

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 11:29:31 am »

i like it. maybe hitting esc could close the form.

it has problems with list fields though

i type 'dere'

i get:
artists:
Derek Bailey
Derek Bailey;Henry Kaiser
Derek Bailey;Noël Akchoté

clicking the last two give 'no search results' although it is in the suggestions.

:)
gab

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 11:44:51 am »

I like it, but it does require a little more effort.  I like the old way too.

If this stays, it might make sense to present the database media first, before on disk files (eg. w/music, present Name before Filename).   I would suspect most want to see their DB data, and not access the on disk files.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 01:30:54 pm »

After playing with this a bit, I can't help but feel that it should also suggest database fields when typing in a search.

For instance, if I want to do a search of [Filename (path)]="\Import\", if I start typing "[Fi" it would be nice to be presented with "[Filename]", "[Filename (name)]", and "[Filename (path)]" as suggestions, to help me remember the syntax of that field.

Although I could just be saying that because, at present, it kind of gets in the way a little bit when trying to do that exact search. The only options it gives me are to pick a filename that contains "\Import\" when what I really want is everything in the Import folder.

Also... when clicking on the "Show all ## results", the suggestions box stays the same size as it was, rather than expand to accommodate the larger list.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 01:47:06 pm »

For instance, if I want to do a search of [Filename (path)]="\Import\", if I start typing "[Fi" it would be nice to be presented with "[Filename]", "[Filename (name)]", and "[Filename (path)]" as suggestions, to help me remember the syntax of that field.

In general, we don't want people thinking about syntax.  The search / smartlist editor is the answer for complicated queries.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 03:09:01 pm »

Note that the search suggestions also search program commands.  For example, type Pause to see an example.

Bad idea IMHO, this adds a potential source of confusion.
Search should remain limited to files, program commands should be in the help file :)

-Leezer-

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 03:54:56 pm »

I like this new search functionality a lot.

But it should not default the search results to the first item (album), only change the results when pushing "enter",
or if still defaulting, when pushing the "down arrow" on the keyboard, the result should change as well.
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 01:14:13 am »

I load up my default audio view.
I type in the search bar: r=4,5 np=<10 lp=>31d
SearchOmatic states "No Results"
I press shift+enter

MC crashes. The "Media Center has encountered a problem..." variety.

If I do this using something that does produce results, shift+enter executes the first suggested result and plays nothing.

-marko

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 04:22:06 pm »

I can't get the search box to stay on "Text". It always goes back to Wizard after each search.

MrHaugen

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 05:50:34 pm »

I like it too! The only thing I'm having problem with is the "See all x results". Just can't hit it.

Also, as other mention here, it would be nice if the menu selection was reflected with the actual files showing up.
Might be pretty search intensive. But if search "lookup" can be stoped when the next alternative is selected, I would prefer this.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

gappie

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 05:52:15 pm »

doing a search on the 3d wall is really nice.. ;D

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 02:34:31 pm »

I don't like how if I type and hit enter, it selects from the searchomatic drop down.  I'm used to typing and hitting enter because I type so fast (100 wpm+) that the 1 second delay is difficult for me.  Especially a 2 or 3 word search query--that barely fills my hand action buffer (lol).  My hands falling to the keyboard can type an artist name.

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
  • But I don't wanna be the same as everybody else...
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 09:59:31 am »

We are considering adding options (i.e. Directshow settings...) and view names (i.e. Matt's Playlist) as well.

I think it's very cool, very well done. Definite thumbs up. I don't know about the programs/options, but I would use view names;
there are times it would make finding a list faster. I do agree that there should be some options to it - at the very least an
option to disable it for those who find it annoying. Also, adding half-stars to it would be great,... oops... wrong topic. Sorry. ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up