INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to switch through aspects of view scheme  (Read 2245 times)

JONCAT

How to switch through aspects of view scheme
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:50:15 pm »

I'm checking out MC13 as wav (yes wav files) files don't play in MC12.534 (go figure).

Looks okay but I'm confused about the drop down menu for tabs.

I have many schemes and I don't use each one for a separate view style; this seems what MC13 expects us to do. In MC12 I can switch between fields easily and quickly.

For example, in MC13, it appears one can't use the tab drop down menu to change the scheme from Genre to Album Artist or Album. You have to either highlight all genres tiles and choose Album, OR use Customize View. So with MC13 I'm supposed to have multiple schemes so I can easily view the tag stings like Album, Genre, Style, etc.?

Unless I'm missing something, it seems that things were changed to claim "changes". Pretty disappointing to see basic navigation & usability (which was wonderful in MC12) go out the window..

please tell what I'm missing, I've only played with MC13 for about 10 minutes; my head started to hurt so I'm taking a break.

DC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Going backwards? (how to switch through aspects of view scheme)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:02:02 pm »

For example, you can't use a tab drop down menu to change the scheme from Genre to Album Artist or Album. You have to either highlight all genres tiles and choose Album, OR use Customize View. So with MC13 I'm supposed to have multiple schemes so I can easily view the tag stings like Album, Genre, Style, etc.?

You might try resetting your view schemes to default (View menu) to see how we recommend proceeding.

The tree should be the main switching point, instead of a drop-menu.  This means less clicks and mouse movement to change views.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 02:10:50 pm »

Now we're relying on the TREE? Sorry but that feels like BACKWARDS to me.

If the tree is closed, I have to squint to find the tab to open it, select Music view scheme once, then once more because they no longer auto-expand, and then choose a view scheme that is set to Albums as opposed to genre tiles.

I know I'm missing something so I'll reset and explore. It's always like this with something new, but my spider-sense is tingling.

dc

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 03:43:17 pm »

I really don't like being forced into the tree either. for me, the view header always felt 'closer' than the tree, more intuitive, and more productive, allowing more flexibility and choice.
Having said that though, this is MC13, not MC12...
MC9.1, (or was it MC10?) had a 'location bar' which was super useful and sorely missed when it got dropped but the world did not stop and we're still here today, with workflows adapted to take up the slack left by the absent location bar.....

Now we're relying on the TREE? Sorry but that feels like BACKWARDS to me.
Try not to look at it as 'backwards'. Look at it as simply 'different'. Coming from MC12, with it's all-powerful view header menu, can be a tad jarring, but if you take some time to play with the MC13 way, you should be able to find a reasonably comfortable setup. You'll certainly have a busier tree than you had before ;)

If the tree is closed, I have to squint to find the tab to open it, select Music view scheme once, then once more because they no longer auto-expand, and then choose a view scheme that is set to Albums as opposed to genre tiles.
If the tree is closed, you should still get the pseudo-tree drop-down from the view header. This is an indespensible feature when browsing with the tree closed.

I know I'm missing something so I'll reset and explore. It's always like this with something new, but my spider-sense is tingling.
Make a library backup, or make a new library. This will allow you to explore the default tree setup, mess about with a few things for yourself, then revert back to your probably personally tailored tree, hopefully better prepared to introduce it to the MC13 way.
I don't think you're missing anything btw, I think you've more or less got the concept. It's not so bad once you get into it. Tabs will be your friends!!

-marko

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 04:21:09 pm »

If the tree is closed, you should still get the pseudo-tree drop-down from the view header. This is an indespensible feature when browsing with the tree closed.

I think it'd be neat to show the full tree in that menu instead of a text-only version.  But we're a bit scared of doing anything to encourage hidden tree and Action Window usage.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 04:25:34 pm »

I think it'd be neat to show the full tree in that menu instead of a text-only version.  But we're a bit scared of doing anything to encourage hidden tree and Action Window usage.

You don't want to encourage users to do something that feels right to them?  :-\

JONCAT

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 05:07:03 pm »

I love tabs, my tree has about 30 view schemes in it. But, the psuedo-tree tab drop down only allows one to shift to other view schemes once the tree is closed, this is how MC12 is. It's just strange that once in a view scheme with tree opened or closed that a user can't "switch" to various field views within that scheme, the gist of my main observation re-iterated.

It honestly stopped me in my tracks. I opened MC12 and the world was right again  ;) I'll keep playing with it and see.

I was expecting an AUTO HIDE TREE in MC13, that would show if functions activated or needed were initiated (could be a simple turn off/on auto-hide). Tree lovers, tree haters: everyone wins.

DC

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:50:33 pm »

mmm, I LOVE the tree, the only problem I had was to get the same functions I had in the tree in mc12 in to 13 AFTER I upgraded and uninstalled 12. I have a LOT of music, videos and pics, and I use a tree scheme that lets me use panes but by disc location (I have everything cataloged by album artist/album).
Still got to figure out a lot of new stuff in 13 though.

The only thing that BOTHERS me is: I use a lot the "explorer" tree in Drives and Devices, mainly while tagging and verifying. In MC12 I used to have three of these "explorer" open in tabs: one for images in thumbnail view, other for music in detail view, and the last for videos in thumb view with title grouped by location.

In MC 13 IF I CHANGE THE VIEW IN ONE "EXLPLORER" TAB IT CHANGES ALL THREE.  ?. Not the Panes view of files already imported, but in drives and devices. I HATE THAT.....

Any ideas??

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 10:43:53 am »

In MC 13 IF I CHANGE THE VIEW IN ONE "EXLPLORER" TAB IT CHANGES ALL THREE.  ?. Not the Panes view of files already imported, but in drives and devices. I HATE THAT.....

I can't reproduce this.  Anyone else?

ElQuia

• World Citizen
Re: How to switch through aspects of view scheme
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 11:49:44 am »

Matt:
More details: When browsing the tree in Drives and Devices if I apply "list style - details" or "list style - thumbnails" for example to one tab it changes also the other tabs but only the tabs that are "browsing" in Drives and Devices, NOT the tabs that are in the pane view.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 12:47:19 pm »

Matt:
More details: When browsing the tree in Drives and Devices if I apply "list style - details" or "list style - thumbnails" for example to one tab it changes also the other tabs but only the tabs that are "browsing" in Drives and Devices, NOT the tabs that are in the pane view.

All areas of My Computer share the same list settings like details vs thumbnails and sorting.  This is by design.

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 02:04:37 pm »

Really?

Any chance of asking for a change in that? I´m not a programmer but I would think that to have a tab "remember" its view settings in My Computer would NOT be so difficult ...

And it would be a VERY useful feature. I do a LOT of browsing and tagging and editing using My Computer. ONLY when the media (be that music, pics or videos) is "final" do I import it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 03:02:58 pm »

This won't change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up