INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smarlist using user generated fields?  (Read 1480 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Smarlist using user generated fields?
« on: November 01, 2008, 02:41:01 pm »

I want a user field called Media Type - Subcategory where I can distinguish video files between movies, home videos, tv shows, youtube videos, etc. Same for images so I can distinguish between cover art, desktop wallpapers, and pictures from my home albums.

Then, I'd like to create playlists where I can view it and as a smartlist filter I'd like to make Media Type - Subcategory IS (or contains) and then whatever.

However, the user field is not there.

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
  • But I don't wanna be the same as everybody else...
Re: Smarlist using user generated fields?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 09:33:50 am »

It's not clear from what you wrote - are you just looking for this?

Options \ Library & Folders \ Manage Library Fields  -> [Add New Field]

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 02:53:22 pm »

sorry.

No, I've created the filled. The problem is I want my smartlists to recognize it. I made all my tv episodes "TV Shows". Then I want a smart list of all "TV Shows". However, the user generated field that I've created is not one of the options I can filter by.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 05:22:43 pm »

did you change anything to the flags in the settings of that field, or anything else, like the display name? it seems to work here 'out of the box'. or is there anything you can say about the smartlist.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 06:33:49 am »

i didn't change anything to the field.

i went to try to recreate the problem just now and the issue is gone. i think i just needed a restart of media center 13.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:33:08 pm »

I do similar for audio with 2 custom fields using check boxes (Duplicate & Source). Each of the fields have a Data Type of "List (semicolon delimited)". The possible choices that I set up are listed in the "Acceptable Values" field. Then in the smartlists which I use for playing I always put in a rule which specifies to return only files which I list as 'originals'. This way I don't have repeat occurences of the same songs but from different albums. I also have a tagging 'to-do' smartlist where I specify 'duplicate' as empty so I can go back and tag them. MC doesn't automatically set up the 'acceptable' values so you'll need to define them in Options>Library & Folders>Manage Library Fields.

There's no reason you couldn't use this method for what you are doing.
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!
Pages: [1]   Go Up