INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Editing the Values in the "Number Plays" Field  (Read 1454 times)

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
Editing the Values in the "Number Plays" Field
« on: November 05, 2008, 11:28:27 am »

Since I began using the Number Plays field, I can see that it automatically increments whenever I play a track.

But I have many tracks that I played before I began using the Number Plays field, and the values shown for those tracks is <blank>. I tried selecting those records and editing the Number Plays field to a value of "1" but MC13 does not appear to let me edit that field.

How can I manually change the values in that field?

* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3996
* Firefox 122; Thunderbird 115.6.1

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Editing the Values in the "Number Plays" Field
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 11:33:41 am »

there is a thread on the 12 forum. as far as i can see it has not changed for 13.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46727.0

:)
gab

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

I read the thread as you suggested and went to your wiki entry. Alternative 1 worked fine for me in MC13, but the F2 method is only available if just one record is selected. So I thought I could select multiple records and then use the Tag action to enter my desired value in to the [change np] field, but alas, I couldn't get [change np] to appear in the tag list.  :( Don't know why, because I have added custom fields to the DB before and they always appeared in the tag list.

But it appears to be a moot point because MC13's library tool "Move/Copy Fields" will not move/copy anything into the [number plays] field. Any ideas?

And thanks for taking the time to write in the wiki!

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

well, your welcome ..  :)

F2 works for more than one file, its just getting some feel for it.

try clicking on the first file you want to change on the 'np change'. now hold down your right mouse button and 'lasso' it to some file beneath (or above that file). you should have some files selected now. click F2, change the value, and that value will change for all selected files...

you could do the same using ctrl or shift click or ctl a (selecting or you files in a view, becarefull).

let me know if it works.

:)
gab

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 04:52:39 pm »

Okay, that works. (It didn't work before when I selected multiple records because I didn't follow through. When only one little edit field appeared I just assumed only that record would be edited.  :-[ )

Here are some instructions that might be integrated into the appropriate spot in your procedures:

1. Using Ctrl or Shift, select the records you want to change.

2. Move the cursor over the header of the field that contains the values you want to change but do not press any mouse button.

3. Now type F2. A single edit field will appear over one of the records.

4. Type what you want into that field.

5. Type Enter (Return). Whatever you typed in the edit field will automatically appear in that field for all selected records.

And last but not least, it took me a while to understand that the column that gets added during your procedure is not a library field in the database, so it cannot be removed by using any of the Library tools. It seems to only exist in the "view", and as such, one must go to "Customize View" and remove it using that dialog box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up