INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I turn off the display window on the left?  (Read 2007 times)

leehrsn

How do I turn off the display window on the left?
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:30:16 am »

Can't find a setting to get rid of this feature.  I bought Media Centre and it's generally okay but I don't like having this display popping up all the time.  Thanks.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I turn off the display window on the left?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 02:04:09 am »

awww... I lurve that little display window :)

It's not possible to turn it off.

Things to try:
If you use tabbed views (explore the options under the 'View > Split views' menu) and you set one of your tabs to 'Playing Now', you will not see the display window in the lower left.

if you have any other action window other than the main one open before the display window, the display window will open in a minimised state and not steal focus from the existing action window.

Personally, I find it to be an enjoyable feature that does not get in the way if I happen to be doing something else in that area already.
I understand that you are not me, but the fact remains, you cannot disable it, I'm just trying to ease your discomfort.

-marko.

leehrsn

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:52:09 am »

Thanks for your help, but you know Winamp has these things and allows the user to decide in preference settings whether to keep it or not, and Winamp is free.  You'd think software that costs $40 would know how to do that.  Does J River ever fix things like that?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:15:43 am »

You'd think software that costs $40 would know how to do that.  Does J River ever fix things like that?
I'm sorry you don't like it, but it isn't going to be changed.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:59:39 am »

Thanks for your help, but you know Winamp has these things and allows the user to decide in preference settings whether to keep it or not...

Winamp has an entirely different user interface. You cannot compare the interfaces like that.

The small display window shows a copy of what is going on the main display when you are not in the Playing Now view. If you don't use cover art you could try one of the spectrum analyzer visualizations.

MC's interface has many modes and options. For instance, you can hide the tree and the Action Window area on the left completely whenever you don't need to use that area. As marko said, you can open "Tag" or some other view in Action Window and that will keep the small display window minimized.

Probably every major program has some UI things that do not please everyone, but this display window is a minor thing in a huge and versatile program like MC.

BTW, you didn't notice it when trialling MC, correct?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

leehrsn

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 05:12:00 pm »

When I play music I want to listen to music, not be distracted by a "visualization".  Listening is the reason the music is there.  Why can't you just turn the ridiculous display off?  I did see the thing when I tried the player but, you have an amazing and sometimes baffling number of configurable features, I guess I never imagined you'd have an ugly thing like the "visualization" as required viewing.  I can't use your DVDR feature because it crashes my machine, you've got this "visualization" thing that can't be removed or stopped, and while I like your audio player, it's not worth $40. 

Thank you.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 05:15:21 pm »

I can just quote myself:
For instance, you can hide the tree and the Action Window area on the left completely whenever you don't need to use that area.

Alternatively you could close your eyes.

Goodbye.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up