INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: running out of space on HDD 14 gigs for thumbnails???  (Read 4175 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
running out of space on HDD 14 gigs for thumbnails???
« on: November 08, 2008, 09:06:06 pm »

i just rebuilt my thumbnails and am getting low disc space error?

Anyway i can update thumbnails elsewhere?? what do people do with larger libraries then i have?  14 gigs is alot for thumbnails isnt it?  any work arounds please? i have many other drives.. but my OS drive is only 74 G due to it being a Os raptor drive only... Would hate to have to buy a new drive just because my thumbnails take up so much space!? not to mention that i bought 2 raptor drives at 74G one for Os nd one for backup... anyway to instal jriver anywhere lse but C? or leave it intalled on C, but build thumbnal son one of myothr local drives?

I need at least 9 gigs on c at all times for my rendering of vids etc... and now tat ve build thumbs im getting low disc space errors.

Anyway around this please?

mlagase

• World Citizen
Re: running out of space on HDD 14 gigs for thumbnails???
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 05:57:02 am »

You can change this by modifying this registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 13\Properties\[Application Data Path]Thumbnails\

I haven't tried this, but with MC closed, modify the path in that registry key, move the thumbnails to a different location and then fire up MC to see if everything is good once again.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:40:22 am »

so once i make a new path for them  can i just copy those folders over? instead of rebuilding?  or should i delete those thubnails. and rebuild? and when deleting those thumbnails its only deleting the build i assume.. being i have all the thumbnails in artists albums folders as folder.jpg.   i wont loose the thumbs correct?

TY
also i went to the regitry and scrolled down to thumbnails - Base path and it says [Applicaton Data]Thumbnails\  i double clicked.. where do i put new path? andwht hould it be named?

i'm planning on having the thumbnails here... E:\Thumbnails

rjm

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 11:48:32 am »

Exit MC.

Change registry from [Applicaton Data]Thumbnails\ to E:\Thumbnails

Move thumbnail folder to new location. (no need to waste time rebuilding)

Restart MC.

All will be good.

[edit]

P.S. You will get better performance if the thumbnails are on a different physical drive than your media.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 12:29:22 pm »

ok thanks alot!! just to confirm... knowing how dangerous it can be in the registry

under name it's called thumbnails - Base path? and the data before changing it is  [Application Data Path]Thumbnails\ 

correct?

also for testing purposes.. can i chose to rebuild thumbnails? and will it take as long? 21 hours? or will it go faster due them already being there?

thanks again for your guys tips and help.. your saving me alot of Time Headaches, and MONEY!!!

rjm

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 01:16:46 pm »

[Application Data Path] is a variable that gets replaced with the Windows location for MC application data. On XP it's usually C:\documents and settings\user name\application data\J River\Media Center 13\.

Note that the thumbnail location is unique per user account. If you want to share thumbnails across all users (which I choose to to do because we all use the same library and I prefer to only rebuild it once) then you need to edit the registry after logging into each user account.

If you move your existing thumbnail cache and then tell MC to rebuild thumbnails, it should complete very quickly because there will be no thumbnails to rebuild. This is in fact a good test to confirm that you implemented the change correctly.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 03:30:25 pm »

tried it and chose build thumbnails.said it build 646 of them....

i think tonight i might delete all the thumbnails in new location.. and make sure the build thumbnails works.. so i can make an image so i'm safe in the future. thanks ALOT for your help :)

rjm

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 04:21:40 pm »

tried it and chose build thumbnails.said it build 646 of them....

i think tonight i might delete all the thumbnails in new location.. and make sure the build thumbnails works.. so i can make an image so i'm safe in the future. thanks ALOT for your help :)

I suspect if you had told MC to build thumbnails before you moved the cache, it would have built 646. In other words I think 646 needed to be built regardless of whether you moved the cache.

In general I have found the cache to be remarkably robust despite it's apparent complexity.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 12:54:10 pm »

works ty :) i have noticed, now that i have changed registry locatio, when i chose to build thumbnails it hangs on 1 of _________    for a bout 5 minutes then it starts building...

but it works:)  Ty Ty!!!

HTPC4ME

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:16:08 am »

does this work with version 14?   i have tried updating thumbnails for few days now. and i keep getting out of memory errors. and when i go and look in 14 none of my thumbnails are there? on my D drive it says 10GB for the thumbnail folder but no thumbs are showing up in media center 14.. and if i remmeber right in 13 my thumbs folder was over 27GB...

Any ideas please?

TY in advance

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 11:47:04 am »

and i keep getting out of memory errors

Please provide more details about how to reproduce this, and how large / what is in your library.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 11:56:57 am »

images = 866344  (i know theres about a mill and a half, but not showing up (maybe due to you telling me disable .psd's.would have to do windows explorer search for .psd's but to many to search fro to get accurate number)
audio = 156115
video = 5967 ( and there should be around 12,000)

doing auto import, once it gets to updating thumbs goes for day or so then get out of memory error, reopen jriver all video,images, audio no thumbnails, goto location where i changed it in registry D\thumbnails and folder only shows 10 GB but use to show over 27GB with 13.

ohh and no data\docs in library (but waiting have over 60,000 Magazines\ebooks\.cbr's i'd love to add and be able to view) :)

no log done, but could send one again. would have to use yousendit!

Thanks Matt for Reply.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 06:26:30 pm »

any good news?  ?

TY
Pages: [1]   Go Up