INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Xbox 360 support on the horizon?  (Read 2173 times)

mlagase

• World Citizen
Is Xbox 360 support on the horizon?
« on: November 11, 2008, 02:57:59 pm »

Just checking

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Is Xbox 360 support on the horizon?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 05:12:39 pm »

Just checking

in what capacity? just curious... how would you like for MC to work with the 360?

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 05:32:44 pm »

For me, the ability to stream music to it. I am not interested in the video streaming at this time.

XBox is coming out with another update within the next week, so I am not sure what type of capability that is going to bring.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 06:27:24 pm »

well i don't know what new ability to expect, but there are programs out there that stream music to the xbox 360. unfortunarely, the interface on the 360 itself i have found to be pretty terrible. theater view isn't perfect but it definitely trumps the 360 interface.

would be interesting to see MC and xbox 360 talking to each other though.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 07:40:13 pm »

My nas box streams to the xbox with a native linux kernel.
Outside of that, you can alway use Tversity to stream to the xbox or other UPNP type devices.
It's free.  It runs as a service and not a desktop app, so it's unobtrusive.
Install it, point it at your media drives, let it scan for a while to build an index.  When it's done close the admin screen and forget about it.

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 05:01:23 am »

I'm aware of all the workarounds, but that does not really answer my original question as I would like to have *one* media application that streams to all devices including the Xbox. I understand that it takes some licensing and time to do it, but others have done it and works rather well.

If MC would provide support for it, you could be leading the pack and will put all other software to shame. With large libraries and multiple applications running on the same server, it would require huge amounts of memory just to keep them running.

My 2 cents

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:43:51 pm »

I would like to have *one* media application that streams to all devices including the Xbox.

That's a massive ask there ... particularly because of the closed nature of many devices by manufacturers such as Microsoft and Apple. I doubt you will be able to persuade anyone to do this, not least because in the blink of a firmware update everyone has to rewrite their code, many times from scratch.

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 04:36:23 am »

Maybe it is a massive task for most, but my ask is small and is audio streaming support. MC does everything else that I need.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 06:50:07 am »

I said a massive ask not task, though I suppose it is both. Good luck anyway.

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 11:34:23 am »

I tried to bump this topic on the other hardware forum and would like to see MC support it as a UPnP.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42241.msg334336#msg334336

There are somethings I like about Tversity but when I figure out how to stream Ytube stuff with MC's UPnP that will likely go away since I mostly stream music and what to play my Smartlists and other playlists created in MC on the 360.

I just do not know if there is much interest and would like it if there was a poll or something to see if it isn't that important to the community but just important to me. It is not practical for me to have an HTPC in every room to take advantage of Theaterview to listen to music.
Pages: [1]   Go Up