INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you Manage/Migrate your offline files?  (Read 1286 times)

galahad1974

• World Citizen
How do you Manage/Migrate your offline files?
« on: November 11, 2008, 01:35:11 pm »

Im really not liking the way i'm managing my offline videos right now, and id love to hear how you guys do it.
Currently i fill my drive with videos, and populate significant data into MC for each file. when my drive fills up I use mc to burn those files to a cd, import that cd into database, move all my data over manually, then delete the origional files from MC and the drive.
Is there no was to automatically tell mc to take my existing files are now on this cd over here, and have it see it correctly as offline? i've tried using the rename,move, & copy function to simply change the filename  to point to the cd using the format mc pushes into the filename field for offline media,but it dosent seem to update the record that it is offline that way, and wont hold through a its next update scan.
How do you guys do this? Im fine with trashing the whole process and trying something different.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do you Manage/Migrate your offline files?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:33:09 pm »

I don't imagine this is the answer you're looking for, but since you're "fine with trashing the whole process and trying something different"... why not add the largest hard drive you can afford—so you won't have to burn to CD? I haven't checked lately, but maybe it would even be cheaper.

That doesn't help, of course, with all that you already have offline. Maybe something I do you can be adapted to your situation. I like to keep track of all movies I've seen, even if I don't have the media (e.g., rentals, theatre viewings, downloads I've viewed and deleted). Unfortunately, as you've found, MC is not designed to track media which doesn't exist where it can find it. So I created a null file for all such titles, gave them AVI extensions and also saved a poster for each (i.e., same name, but a JPG). I also import information from my movie database to these records, but that's another story. I'm sure you could do pretty much the same thing, and also save a media label and location—so you can keep track of your CD's.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 03:00:13 am »

Actually I Appriciate the idea, but i already have 12 TB in the box, and another 8 in an external enclosure. you solution is actually how I solved the problem the first ... 9 times:)
My system works, its just time consuming. I know there are some real power users on the board so i figured they may have found a better way :)
Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 03:29:22 am »

Well, I suppose the more time you spend burning disks, the less you have spend in the nightmare of deciding which movie to watch. ;D

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 06:45:09 am »

Actually last week i spent 45 mins looking for a movie to watch before i realized i looked so long i no longer had time to watch one. Im kinda sad that way..... thank god for this software
Pages: [1]   Go Up