INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable Install doesn't load on another computer  (Read 1079 times)

IanDominey

Portable Install doesn't load on another computer
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:40:30 am »

Hi, I did a portable install of MC13 using my home PC (running Vista 32-bit) in order to run MC13 at work (running Windows XP) using my library server from home.  The install to my Windows Mobile device worked fine but when I tried to run the install from my work PC, a dialogue box popped up informing me that some sort of .dll file could not be found.  I don't remember the precise filename but I'm pretty sure it included dx3d or something along those lines.  Whatever the filename was, it made me think it was something to do with Directx9 (I ran dxdiag to ensure that DirectX was actually installed on the work machine - it was).

Edit :- I forgot to mention.  I ran an install of MC13 on the actual work machine itself and had no problems running it from there.  But I'm going away to another country for Christmas and want to be able to run MC13 from my windows mobile device using my home library and don't want to go installing software on the machine that I'll have access to.

hdevilliers

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Portable Install doesn't load on another computer
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 01:17:09 am »

Yup found something similar - funny thing is I then loaded MC13 on the local machine and then removed it again and now the remote version runs fine . I assume some dll's were probably installed on the local machine and stayed there after I did the uninstall .

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Portable Install doesn't load on another computer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:07:34 am »

Darn it.  This is likely an issue from the fact that we recently upgraded to the latest DirectX SDK.

Unfortunately, Microsoft took away the ability to statically link in some helper code, meaning you'll need a special DirectX DLL in your system folder.  This change made our install bigger and more complicated, but I don't think there's any alternative.  Sigh.

We'll have to think about how to better handle this for portable installs, where we _can't_ install a system DLL.  For now, you'll have to put the needed DLL in the system folder yourself (or install the latest DirectX).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up