INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-Rip CD Preserve Playlists  (Read 1657 times)

RoboRubik

• Recent member
Re-Rip CD Preserve Playlists
« on: November 13, 2008, 12:18:13 am »

I want to re-rip some CDs at higher quality than I originally did.  The problem is if I delete the old copy and then rip it, I loose all of those songs from the various playlists they were in.  I once saw a post explaining how to do this so that the playlist would point to the new copies, but I can't seem to find it.  Anyone got a tried and true procedure for this?

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Re-Rip CD Preserve Playlists
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 01:33:18 am »

Precisely why I went with FLAC 2 years ago when I found MC.  Before I had sorta ripped some of my music to 128kb mp3.  That doesn't cut it with even acceptable speakers although I think 128kb may have gotten better over the years because it almost seems better quality today.

I would suggest renaming the files to [track #].mp3 and then you can easily overwrite each one.  You will first want a complete backup of your library.  Then, tell MC to save new files in a generic place.  You will need to hand correct after each CD.  The problem is that you, otherwise, would need the artist and/or album title to be identical for it to overwrite the correct files.  If it's just track number, you can manually cut the newly ripped files and paste them into the specific folder for that album.

Make sense?  Helpful?

RoboRubik

• Recent member
Re: Re-Rip CD Preserve Playlists
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:11:26 am »

I tried this method and it works.  Taking the file name down to just the track number is a good note.  I updated the tags after replacing the files.

A few more steps than I would like, but far easier than rebuilding the playlists.

I'm still wondering if there is an easier way.  Will Media Center let me rip over the old files?  Will find and replace allow overwriting existing files?  If so would the playlist links be preserved?
Pages: [1]   Go Up