INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MCs Image browsing just doesnt work  (Read 2099 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
MCs Image browsing just doesnt work
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:22:53 am »

I tried tagging more photos under MCs new playback controls, but it just feels contrived. I kept an open mind, and gave it a chance, but it just doesnt work for me.

The default windowsXP image viewer would actually be more intuitive than MCs image preview methods. What I want and MC still cant do, is to be able to see one image large and the other images before and after it, it a list to the side or below. Then I want to move through the list with the arrow keys to compare photos.

In MC this is possible if you double click on an image, double click to return back to the list, and then go to playing now. There you'll see your entire list of images and you can play each one individually to compare them. But you have to jump through hoops just for this simple ability, and it means you are in playing now rather than the view you specifically made for tagging images.

Another method is to make the thumbnails bigger using the slider, but it makes all the thumbnails bigger, which isnt very useful for stacking, and flicking between two images that arent in sequence.

I've been asking since MC12 started in beta for the "image preview action window" (which is accessible by clicking on a thumbnail in the tagging window) to be detachable. Pleeeeeeeaaaaase  :)
Its a feature that already exists, it just needs to be a bit more accessible and bigger.

My last request is for the right arrow keyboard press to take us to the next row when we are at the end of  a row. I'm begging you.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Re: MCs Image browsing just doesnt work
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:56:21 pm »

You may already know this, but you can right-click the slider to toggle between the thumbnails and a single image in the same view (which won't affect the thumbnail sizes).  My request has been to make this more convenient by giving the option of double-clicking the thumbnail and single image to toggle between these "modes".  Then you could still click the "Play" link to go to fullscreen view as it is now.  A special icon to click on the image and thumbnail that would toggle would work for me too.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:07:10 am »

Well.....
Its not perfect, but heres the way i do it.
I split the views in to 2 columns
I shrink 1 down to show 1 column of thumbs, and set the other frame to the image i want. then right clicko n the slider making it full sized. I can them move through the large frame with arrows, while seeing the list of thumbs on the other pane.
Pros.. It lets me see my list while looking at my larger images and use the arrow keys to move through them fast.
cons.. The thumbs frame dosent control whats in the large frame. and moving through images in the large dosent forward the thumbs.

other than that, it works pretty well.

macs

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:40:06 am »

I have to chime in here...I too prefer the way winXP's default image viewer (I believe its called "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer") works over how MC works. On top of the issues discussed below, I would like to request that you allow the user the option of putting the player controls on the detached display window. Whenever I detach the display window, I have to make my way back to the main window to click on the controls to advance the image; I think right-clicking on the context menu that comes up also works, but, that's not convenient.

Again, in the scenario above, WinXP's default image viewer has the fwd/bwd controls right at the bottom for easy navigation. Can that feature be added to MC when the display window is detached! :)

Also, it would be nice if there was a way for MC to let you view all the images in a folder without first having to select them. The use case for this is when you click on an image in an Explorer folder and MC opens up to show you the image. Right now, you can't scroll to any other images in the folder that might exist because they weren't initially selected. In WinXP's default image viewer, you can scroll to them.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 09:13:05 am »

Threads like this are interesting.

I find thumbnails + high-resolution tooltips to be a pretty nice way to browse.  And it's so simple to jump to a fullscreen view and back that putting a sort-of-fullscreen image in Standard View doesn't seem very exciting.  It sounds like others disagree.

I can say that we're not very interested in solutions that require detaching the display or Action Window.  Unless you run two monitors, floating windows are a drag (that's punny).

Adding a new list style or docked full-resolution image of the selected image are possibilities.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:24:32 am »

Also, it would be nice if there was a way for MC to let you view all the images in a folder without first having to select them. The use case for this is when you click on an image in an Explorer folder and MC opens up to show you the image. Right now, you can't scroll to any other images in the folder that might exist because they weren't initially selected. In WinXP's default image viewer, you can scroll to them.

This would be nice, but I think Windows cheats.  I don't know any way to get the order information from Explorer, so if you sort by "File Size" for example and play a single image, I don't know how we could play the images in "File Size" order.  Is anybody aware of any programs other than the one built into Windows that do this?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:36:15 am »

Adding a new list style or docked full-resolution image of the selected image are possibilities.

Yes, I'd really like to see that. Something which splits the bottom files list in two would be good. Left hand side would be the preview, and right hand side would be the list. The left hand side could even have controls, like "2-up" to show pairs of files, and overlay ratings field and captions box, to allow on the spot tagging.

pank2002

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 09:40:51 am »

This would be nice, but I think Windows cheats.  I don't know any way to get the order information from Explorer, so if you sort by "File Size" for example and play a single image, I don't know how we could play the images in "File Size" order.  Is anybody aware of any programs other than the one built into Windows that do this?

I think IrfanView does it but I am not sure . . .
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

macs

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 09:43:11 am »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your info and ideas.

I can clarify a few points about what I was referring to:

1) The full screen image, where ever it is, should have player controls for convenience. For XP, as you know, these buttons reside at the bottom of the window. What's important is that MC would (in my opinion) offer you the ability to use pretty much all the screen real estate for displaying the image with a bit reserved for the player controls. I'd actually prefer not to have to detach the display window for this mode if possible.

2) I personally am not concerned about ensuring the "order" in which the files are played. What ever order Windows would play the files in can be the same order MC plays them in. That has always been ok for me but others may disagree. The salient point for this feature is that you wouldn't have to select ALL the images in the folder to view them when you first tell MC to start showing you images from the folder.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 10:07:56 am »

1) The full screen image, where ever it is, should have player controls for convenience.

Controls are always available unless you detach the display and we don't recommend detaching the display for most users.  It's sort of a special-case thing.

2) I personally am not concerned about ensuring the "order" in which the files are played. What ever order Windows would play the files in can be the same order MC plays them in. That has always been ok for me but others may disagree. The salient point for this feature is that you wouldn't have to select ALL the images in the folder to view them when you first tell MC to start showing you images from the folder.

This is a good idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up