INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy tags between files  (Read 1246 times)

llafriel

• World Citizen
Copy tags between files
« on: November 18, 2008, 04:50:45 am »

Hi,

I've made a smartlist that locates duplicate files and lists them next to each other. Is it possible to copy tags from the first to the next in an automated manner?

llafriel

• World Citizen
Re: Copy tags between files
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 05:20:44 am »

It is possible to copy fields to clipboard and paste into Excel. Would it be possible to make this work the other way also?

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:01:44 am »

I would also be interesting in finding the answer to this, for the same reason. I'm finding duplicate tracks and I want to make sure I'm not deleting the one that is in playlists, or that has all the good tag information. 
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

joh

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:19:27 pm »

Hi,

Here is a method that accomplishes what I believe you are looking for:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Re-Rip_and_preserve_tags

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 04:10:52 pm »

Thanks Joh.  I'm not sure that is the solution for me, though. Both files might have different tags, and I need to compare them to see which is the file I'm going to keep. So I guess what I was asking was more of a way to compare or merge some of the tags rather than copy.

The idea is that I have 2 tracks. I can set columsn for genre, year, subgenre, etc and I can visually compare the two tracks before deleting the 'bad' one. However, that 'bad' one might have playlist info associated with it. I can't add a column for "Playlist" (and perhaps there are other tags that cannot be put in a column). So I have to click on one track, go through the tags in the action window and either remember or write them down, then open the other track and do the same. Then I pick the best quality track or the one with the most correct tags and add whatever tags were in the other track before deleting it.

Long story short, I just need to compare the tags, update one of the tracks, then delete the other.  Maybe I can just export both tracks to compare. Bit of a pain, though.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up