INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help - how to report bugs?  (Read 1475 times)

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Please help - how to report bugs?
« on: November 19, 2008, 01:43:03 pm »

I'm a bit lost and would appreciate some advice from the J River developers, or perhaps Jim?

For the last 2 available builds, I reported 2 bugs that I think warrant attention, via the usual 'MC xx Beta -Download' thread.  Seeing no clarification questions, I assumed they were added to the list of 'simple fixes' for the next build, but twice I have now been disappointed to see no improvement in the new release.  Am I doing something wrong, should I report these in another way?  I have been a long-time support of MC and have always promoted the application to my friends, persuading them to buy (vs 'acquire') software "where the developers really listen and act upon feedback"!  Maybe I'm not a 'famous' voice, or am reporting bugs that nobody else cares about - but if so could someone please tell me?

The 2 issues are:

1. Rotating images is broken (error 'failed to rotate')
2. File seeking in DVR-MS files is broken

More details are in the respective 'MC xx beta download' threads.  I am using Vista 32 bit, and have replicated on several machines.  One of the machines runs MC 12 and has no such issues with same files.

If I can supply more information or logs to troubleshoot this, I am very happy to do so!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Please help - how to report bugs?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:28:22 pm »

Hi Mark,

Let me take these one-by-one:

DVR-MS seeking

I can't reproduce this.  Is there any chance you have some filter installed on your system that could be getting in the way?  You might also try different video renderers in Options > Playback > DirectShow playback settings...

Anyone else seeing this?

JPEG rotation

This is certainly a problem.  We recently updated a piece of our image library to fix a GIF problem, and this must have snuck in.  Look for a fix in a coming build.

Bug reporting

I'd say you're doing it about perfect.

In general, it's helpful if you keep a list of issues and post any unfixed items in each build thread.  There are times when it may take us a few builds to get through everything.

If you have a nasty or complicated problem, it never hurts to start a thread about it.

Best,
-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 05:14:08 pm »

Matt,

Thank you - appreciate the acknowledgement, and great to hear you'll be working on the image rotate issue.

For the dvr-ms files - would it help for me to send you a sample problem file, so we can eliminate any other parameters?  I tried various filter options, on 3 PCs, including one with MC12 installed where the same filter chain works fine!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:41:25 pm »

For the dvr-ms files - would it help for me to send you a sample problem file, so we can eliminate any other parameters?

Please do.  I'm matt at jriver dot com.  It may cap out around 10 MB, so hopefully you have a smallish video.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:40:27 am »

Thanks for the file.  Here's what I heard about it from Yaobing, the resident DirectShow expert:

The clip requires Decrypt/Tag filter (which I do not understand). This filter does not play well with our JRiver Bitrate Monitor filter - I will need to take a look into that and see if it is caused by our way of connecting the monitor filter.

Unchecking "JRiver Bitrate Monitor Filter" from "Other Filters" list solves the problem.

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 12:07:53 pm »

Thanks for the file.  Here's what I heard about it from Yaobing, the resident DirectShow expert:

Excellent!  I guess the filter wasn't checked by default on MC12?  I'm sure I didn't modify it.  Anyway, you've solved the most annoying thing for me (hate using other media players as a 'workaround'), so thank you.  I can happily leave it unchecked from now.  This was by far more annoying than 'rotate images' as I can do a quick one-time check and rotate as needed using the Windows viewer.

Thanks again,
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up