INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any hopes for DVB-C or DVB-S?  (Read 6092 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Any hopes for DVB-C or DVB-S?
« on: November 28, 2008, 07:56:20 am »

Today I have a cable decoder for HD channels in my home, but would like get it directly from my HTPC instead.
My fear is that I have to use the TV app that's included with forinstance the FloppyDTV-C tuner (DVB-C), or use Media Portal, who unfortunately supports a much wider range of tv tuners than MC does. I can not find much info on DVB-C or the plans for it, if any.

I know there have been talk about support for DVB-S, but again, that will not help me much. Even though it will be disadvantages to go satelite, I'd be willing to do the switch if just MC would support it.
What is the status of DVB-C and DVB-S? Any more spesific plans?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Any hopes for DVB-C or DVB-S?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 08:39:20 am »

DVB-C and DVB-S are still on the drawing board. Sorry I can not tell when they will become reality.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 05:09:33 pm »

Ok. I'll have to live with another app for the time being then.

tizul91

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:18:31 am »

DVB-C and DVB-S are still on the drawing board. Sorry I can not tell when they will become reality.

Hello, I've asked allready on another post
(http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=39830.msg271564#msg271564)

Can you tell us more about the support of DVB-S ?
Thanks.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 09:53:10 am »

Come on JR !

If there's not going to be support for DVB-S, why not just tell us  ?

This question's been asked frequently for ages and all we've heard so far are vague maybes or been completely ignored.

Is someone working on this or not?

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:32:56 am »

Any more news of DVB-C or S support? Do you have DVB-C in the US at all, so you can test this?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 08:45:00 am »

Is someone working on this or not?

No.  I do not know when I will be able to.

Any more news of DVB-C or S support? Do you have DVB-C in the US at all, so you can test this?

Not that I know of.  This is part of the reason I am not working on it yet.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Daydream

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 05:17:12 pm »

DVB-C, US vs. the world:
US uses QAM (clear or encrypted). From wiki: "QAM is only a modulation format and does not specify the format of the digital data being carried. However, when used in the context of digital cable television, the format of the data transmitted using this modulation is based on ATSC. This is in contrast to DVB-C which is also based on QAM modulation, but uses a DVB-based data format which is incompatible with North American receivers."
Therefore, close but no cigar.

DVB-S:
This is more off the top of my head, not very scientific. In US there are Dish Network and DirecTV as providers for tv satellite services. Last time I check (but don't take my word for it) Dish was on DVB-S, DirecTV was switching to to DVB-S2. Maybe both are switching considering the push for MPEG-4/AVC codecs instead of MPEG-2. However somebody will have to explain it to me what use would be to develop a software tuner for these, since both services are encrypted and unlike Europe (at least half a decade back) you can't hack a transmission in software only and catch the broadcast left and right. You can probably put up a dish the size of a small city on the eastern coast of US and catch free European broadcasts on DVB-S but... too much effort for too small a clientele footprint, pun intended :).

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 03:52:47 am »

As it goes for DVB-S, yes it's encrypted. I thought DVB-C and much of the DVB-T signals was as well. I've never seen a receiver without a CA module card. Would it not be possible for some users in Europe to help testing and to verify code for the DVB-C tuners? ATSC is mainly used in US and a few other places. We have to get a bit better Tuner support in MC. The rest of the world is left out!

This is really not my area of expertise, but there have to be a way of testing and implementing this. Windows Media Center have it all, the same does a lot of other media centers. It can be that hard...?

linnearad

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 12:31:41 pm »

Windows Media Center hasn't full support for DVB-C. You can get it with some manipulation through DVBLink. MediaPortal has more and less full support. But even her you need to know some information about the channels and settings from the provider to get it correct tuned.

DVBLink could be a "middle solution".

Else, the settings (transponders, freq, QAM settings etc) are known for a lot of European DVB-C providers.

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 02:26:52 am »

So, would MC14 be able to run DVB-C or S with this DVBLink? I'll order a FloppyDTV card as soon as I have the chance, and try it out if that is the case.

And you're saying that adding Tuners to MC14 is as "simple" as adding transponders, freq, QAM settings etc? If that is the case I'm wondering why it have not happened before... Sounds easy, but it's just never that simple is it.

Daydream

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 06:50:36 pm »

So, would MC14 be able to run DVB-C or S with this DVBLink? I'll order a FloppyDTV card as soon as I have the chance, and try it out if that is the case.

Thinking out loud (otherwise I'm flying blind here): can you remap the channels from DVB-C to T... at least the ones using the same modulation (16QAM, 64QAM)??

linnearad

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 10:52:46 am »

@MrHaugen:

I don't think it's easy, probably you need to study how DVBlink is working. As far as I understand, DVBlink act as virtual tuner, which implement standard external interfaces, DBA tuners and UPNP server with DNLA specification. But as DVBlink works on Windows Media Center, MediaPortal, DVBViewer, GB-PVR and SageTV it should be possible to use it.

FloppyDTV are not easy to get hold off. Digital Everywhere has stopped production. I have tried DVBlink with Terratec Cinergy C PCI HD CI on Canal Digital and Windows Media Center. I had to manually tune all channels with information I found checking QAM, freq and so on on my TV with decoder - but I managed to get it working. And as i remember, the DVBlink tuners shows up in MC14. But I haven't tried to map them.

@Daydream:
It's no remapping as far as I know. DVBlink act as some kind of server. All tuning has to be done in DVBlink.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 04:30:01 am »

I see that the latest beta for the HDHomeRun tunner now support remapping of DVB-C to DVB-T - http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2484
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up