INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug Report: can't resume play after pause  (Read 2844 times)

afan

• Recent member
Bug Report: can't resume play after pause
« on: November 29, 2008, 11:02:40 am »

When I am playing a long mp3 file, pause the playback, and then resume the playback, the track resumes playing for about 4 seconds and then jumps to the beginning of the next track in the playing now list.  This happens only on long files, such as podcasts, that are over about 45 minutes long. 

I have two Windows XP computers with Media Jukebox and the problem is happening on both of them.  I am using MJ 12.0.48.

AUser

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Bug Report: can't resume play after pause
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 07:17:41 am »

Does the time display show incorrectly eg 1 hour 10 minutes through a 40 minute track ?
If so, I have the same problem  ?
Somehow on unpausing, it adds the time already played to the paused time, decides the track must be finished, and jumps into the next track

afan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 11:33:28 am »

Auser,
I have seen problems like you describe, but that is not the problem I am having.  When your problem happens, it seems to be an error in the file as it is consistant and only happens on certain files.

The problem I am having affects all files over a certain length, and affects mp3 files from reputable sources, for example PBS podcasts.

AUser

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 02:07:26 pm »

Hmmm, mine are from 'reputable' sources also and it affects every long track eg

Apparently it's nearly three hours through track 2 - even though track 2 is only 2 hour long
It's really 1 hour through track three though

Only happens after pause/stop and resume, if you just let it play then all the times show correctly

Not quite the same as your problem, but it's in a close enough area to point at as 'bug-like'

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 02:24:41 pm »

Is this problem similar?

AUser

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 02:57:58 pm »

Is this problem similar?

Not on my system - here it just looks like the playback engine and the ui get out of sync when you pause long tracks

afan

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 10:59:09 pm »

JimH,
Thank you for checking.  The problem I am seeing is not the same as "MJ Freezes".  MJ continues working just fine after experiencing the problem.  It just acts like the track ended at the point where it was paused, and continues to the next track in the playlist, or stops if it is at the end of the list.  It may not be relevant, but I am using DSP studio to increase the playback tempo.

afan

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 10:13:06 pm »

I have noticed that if the playback is paused for only a few seconds, the track resumes normally, but if the pause is a few minutes, then it skips.

afan

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 10:42:39 am »

One more symptom - If I pause then scroll the play pointer back a minute or two, and then resume playback, the file plays until it reaches the original point where it was paused and then jumps to the next file.  It looks like the problem is reestablishing the feed from the disk to the playback buffer.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 10:59:52 am »

Are you playing a local file?  Or a stream?

afan

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 09:45:36 am »

JimH,
This problem happens when playing local files.  Generally these are podcasts downloaded using the MJ podcast manager, so the files are located in: C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents\My Music\Podcast\[podcast name].

I don't generally listen to any streams, so I cannot say if they have the same problem.

BTW, I have upgraded to the latest .49 version of MJ, but the problem is unaffected.

afan

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 05:48:25 pm »

JimH,
Looks like your question about playing streams was right after all.  I did not realize that I was actually playing streams.  I had thought that all of the podcasts were being buffered to disk before playing, but it turns out that the ones I was having a problem with were playing direct from the stream.

I found that if I manually download, or set the Download All Episodes option, the playback resumes normally after a pause.  It is good to have found out what is going on, and I now have a workaround.

Please recommend to the development team:
* In the Playback Display, add an indication that an Internet stream is being played.
* Add an indication that the connection to the playback stream has been lost.
* Have the player reconnect to the stream, and locate to the last position when resuming a lost stream.
* Improve the explanation of playing podcast streams in the help file.

Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up