INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple PCs, Multiple Zones  (Read 2826 times)

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Multiple PCs, Multiple Zones
« on: December 13, 2008, 06:03:02 pm »

Whilst this isn't relevant for me just yet, the plan is for it to eventually be...

Let's call it "Remote Zoning"

If I have multiple PCs, running in different zones e.g

1 in the Lounge (zone 1)
1 in the kitchen (zone 2)
1 In the bedroom (zone 3)
1 In the central area (zone 4)

Is it possible to have them all talking to each other to be able to control the others?

For example - If I'm in the kitchen (zone 2) is it possible for MC to KNOW that it is zone 2, and if i change to Zone 1, it controls the lounge room, even though zone 1 is not outputted from that PC?

Or would the only way to do this be remote desktop or similar?

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
Re: Multiple PCs, Multiple Zones
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 05:10:14 am »

The "zones" are the outputs on the PC MC is running on.

So you'd need to run a remote desktop to control each zone on a different PC.

In my case I have multiple stereo or digital outputs on my PC and each runs a zone powering speakers in different rooms all controlled from the one PC.

In each room I have a PDA running Netremote that is setup to control the zone for that room.

Richard

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 05:14:50 pm »

That's what I thought.

Thanks.

)p(

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 12:30:38 am »

That's what I thought.

Thanks.

When I first tried mc I also thought that zoning was about controlling mc on different pc's ;) I certainly would use it if it was! It would be awesome if mc zoning could be expanded to use its gui to control mc on different computers and maybe even upnp devices!

peter

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 06:54:41 pm »

Moving on from this a little, but still in the same vein...

Is it possible to have 2 examples of MC running on 1 PC without the focus getting confused?

Reason: My wife wants a TV screen in the kitchen.

Rather than purchase a new HTPC (or TV for that matter) I'd like to put my 15" touch screen in there and simply run it from my HTPC in the lounge room via a second Tuner card and Sound card.
The first example of MC would run in the lounge (running as zone 1), the second on the touch screen (running as zone 2).

The way I see it, if my wife were to change the channel (for instance) in the kitchen, then I took the remote intending to change the volume in the lounge, it would actually change the volume in the kitchen, because that monitor would still have the focus.

Is this correct? If so, is there a way I can get around this (short of PDA's set up to control particular zones) whilst still employing the touch screen (As this will be the easiest method of control from close range)?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 08:23:55 pm »

If you are running just one instance of MC, the UI refers to one zone - the one you have selected.  Any changes refer to that zone.

To change the volume for another zone, you would need to change the currently selected zone to that other zone.

Perhaps I can summarize the situation as:
   - You can play different music on more than one zone at the same time.
   - However, you have only one UI that refers to the currently selected zone.

Is it possible to have 2 examples of MC running on 1 PC without the focus getting confused?
Rather than purchase a new HTPC (or TV for that matter) I'd like to put my 15" touch screen in there and simply run it from my HTPC in the lounge room via a second Tuner card and Sound card.
The first example of MC would run in the lounge (running as zone 1), the second on the touch screen (running as zone 2).

The way I see it, if my wife were to change the channel (for instance) in the kitchen, then I took the remote intending to change the volume in the lounge, it would actually change the volume in the kitchen, because that monitor would still have the focus.

It is possible to have more than one instance of MC running on a single PC.

In Tools/Options/General/ Advanced, check "Allow multiple instances to run at one time".

I know it works but there may be some limitations.

I know nothing about using a touch screen with MC.  I don't know how you would associate it with a particular instance of MC.

I'd suggest that you start experimenting.

Bill

solosid

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 04:31:57 am »

Hi All,

I have JRMC13 running with NR2 & Girder5whp

1 have a 1010Delta running a 5 zone WholeHouseAudio (WHA) through a zoned amp

what I would like to know is what do I set the volume option to?  'application' 'internal' or 'system'

the reason is...if I set to application.... the NR slider does not pick up the change in volume

and what are the differences between the options

and for the Girder.Guys is it possible to tell the slider what zone its controlling at that time and display its value or will the correct settings sort that out

cheers
Mark

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 04:28:30 pm »

The difference in the Volume settings are

Application > If you have your master volume set to 50% and you JRiver volume set to 100%, it's 100% of 50%.
Internal > Don't know...
System > Controls your Master Volume directly. So 100% Volume in MC is 100% of 100%.

I use System and NR picks it up nicely.

solosid

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 01:33:26 pm »

imugli,

Does NR pick it up on the slider volume control for each zone?

Cheers

Mark

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 03:21:43 pm »

Mark,

I use 2 separate soundcards for my 2 zones, so yes it does for me but I'm not sure how it handles things if you're using 1 output jack for each zone.

Cheers,
Justin.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 04:27:51 pm »

No one will deny the importance of zones--they are great and I've used them for a few projects famously.

Of course with multiple HTPCs around the house, I can see a lot of possible abilities:

1. Watching/listening to content in area A and then, on OSD, select "Continue Elsewhere" ... then, MC could scan the network for available HTPCs and when you select one, it would popup on the chosen machine and give an auto countdown of 60 seconds with an option to ignore the request or start immediately.
2. Also, select "Continue Elsewhere" and then a subsequent menu would popup that would allow a found MC box to sync and play the same content simultaneously.
3. When selecting content, add a "Play Elsewhere" option that would allow you to start content on another found MC box.

Who doesn't agree these abilities would be brilliant?

)p(

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 12:09:19 am »

I would be most fond of the ability to control one mc instance from the other on different computers. What i am thinking about is all those mid tablet pc's that are coming out now. They would make an ideal gui with running mc on it in either standard view or theater view. I sure would get one and replace my n800 that I now use with remote desktop with one of these.

peter

solosid

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 08:37:15 am »

Mark,

I use 2 separate soundcards for my 2 zones, so yes it does for me but I'm not sure how it handles things if you're using 1 output jack for each zone.

Cheers,
Justin.

Hi imugli,

I use a delta 1010 which gives me 5 zones in total (inc sound card) through a multi-zone amp

the problem I'm experiencing is when I change zones the slider value in NR does not change with the volume selected

any thoughts

Cheers

Mark

JONCAT

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 09:11:55 am »

You can control MC via the web server (not library server). You could use Xp-tunes plugin as well.

Library server is also an option to use another Pc to serve your separate zone. If you coudl for example, install a tablet in your kitchen you could simply use LS to run another instance of MC with the same gui and same llibrary.

As for dual instances, I ended up using another user account so I can have Xp-tunes, Airfoil, and MC13 running on it, so as to serve my other zones (although all must play the same thing unless I choose to get a laptop involved) while my son is watching a TV show....

DC

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 09:57:29 am »

You can control MC via the web server (not library server). You could use Xp-tunes plugin as well.

Library server is also an option to use another Pc to serve your separate zone. If you coudl for example, install a tablet in your kitchen you could simply use LS to run another instance of MC with the same gui and same llibrary.

As for dual instances, I ended up using another user account so I can have Xp-tunes, Airfoil, and MC13 running on it, so as to serve my other zones (although all must play the same thing unless I choose to get a laptop involved) while my son is watching a TV show....

DC

This only issue with xpTunes is that right now it can't do multiple zones. I've asked for this feature to be added too....well it does IF you use an iPhone which I don't have and won't buy as I really don't like Apple products.

As far as remote control of MC IE Client/Server design...this is something I've been requesting for years and perhaps now that more people are asking for this same functionality it may hit the radar screens more. I soooooo want true client/server UI. IE Primary "Server" MC is located in the rack with multiple sound cards and "Clients" have full control over the "Server" so any PC in the house can playback and manage music on the server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up