INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jail break iPhone?  (Read 2723 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Jail break iPhone?
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:57:33 am »

I have a hypothetical question regarding iTunes and iTouch. Would it be easier to add support for jailbroken devices? Would that give us ways of going passed all the mess Apple have done to prevent the devices to work with other software? I'm very curious, as I would very much like a iPhone, or a rather a iPhone nano if it's ever released. But if I can't ever use it with MC13, I belive that will just be a thought.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Jail break iPhone?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:04:04 am »

The jailbreak approach has the same problem we have.  Apple can keep moving things around.

Consider a Google Android phone.

MrHaugen

Jail break iPhone?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 09:38:20 am »

I was afraid of that. Just wrote a mail to Steve Jobs with some constructive criticism. Let's hope he listens!
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Jail break iPhone?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 10:26:00 am »

The world is so messed up in so many different ways.  And somehow we are helpless.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
Jail break iPhone?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 12:51:29 pm »

I have a hypothetical question regarding iTunes and iTouch. Would it be easier to add support for jailbroken devices? Would that give us ways of going passed all the mess Apple have done to prevent the devices to work with other software? I'm very curious, as I would very much like a iPhone, or a rather a iPhone nano if it's ever released. But if I can't ever use it with MC13, I belive that will just be a thought.

The only way JRiver is going to reliably support the Apple products would be to use the API to iTunes instead of trying to write directly to the devices and then use iTunes to sync to the device.  They could do that today and support 100% of Apple's lineup.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Jail break iPhone?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 01:24:12 pm »

The only way JRiver is going to reliably support the Apple products would be to use the API to iTunes instead of trying to write directly to the devices and then use iTunes to sync to the device.  They could do that today and support 100% of Apple's lineup.

If you're referring to the COM SDK, the support for devices is virtually non-existant.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 02:23:59 pm »

Consider a Google Android phone.

Unfortunately, at least in v1, the Google Android phone is no where near as slick or useful as the iPhone.  It's a nice first outing, and is much better than any current Windows Mobile device in many of these regards, but it is no iPhone killer.  The Application marketplace is no where near as developed, the over-the-air purchase and downloading features are not anywhere near as slick or developed (a web-ui will never cut it, it needs a custom application), the audio and video player functions are no where near as slick or useful, and the whole UI of the phone isn't consistent.  It feels still a little too much like a "linux device" and the UI Guidelines aren't even followed by Google consistently, much less by the independent app developers.  Plus, the touchscreen on the current HTC G1 is not the same as the iPhone's at all.  This isn't just it's lack of multitouch (which seems to be more of a software and CPU power issue than anything else), but the phone lacks a dedicated GPU, which severely limits its ability to function as more than a phone/web browser/audio player.

Hopefully they'll catch up in a few versions.  I'm skeptical though... One benefit Apple has here is that they control the entire platform.  Google will, I'd guess, quickly run into the problem of trying to support a widely varying set of different hardware platforms and capabilities.

That, and go ahead and bring that T-Mobile phone up here where I live, Jim, and you'll see why I need AT&T or Verizon.  T-Mobile and Nextel/Sprint stop working pretty close to the state border, and certainly don't work up here near Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.  With AT&T I don't get 3G (yet, supposedly they're upgrading "soon"), but it generally works a bit better than my wife's AT&T Nokia.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 02:26:26 pm »

If you're referring to the COM SDK, the support for devices is virtually non-existant.

You can open and close iTunes, import new files into iTunes (and remove orphaned files), set and read the file metadata, initiate a sync to a device, and then eject that device.  What more do you need?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 02:28:03 pm »

I'll give Apple the nod on slick.  I won't give it on power or features.  The Android is its equal.

Mine is running on AT&T.  It was an unlocked phone.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 02:43:37 pm »

I'll give Apple the nod on slick.  I won't give it on power or features.  The Android is its equal.

Engadget doesn't agree, nor do I after having one and playing with them side-by-side for about a week.

Close, but no cigar.  I think it depends on what you include and what is important to you.  If you're a developer trying to write a game for a mobile device, I think you'd change that tune pretty quickly.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 03:27:07 pm »

Engadget doesn't agree,
They're major Apple fan boys.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 03:41:39 pm »

They're major Apple fan boys.

That sounds like an accusation with no supporting evidence (besides, everyone knows the current editors of Engadget are Blackberry fanboys, not Apple ones).  What specifics in their review (which was, ftr, mostly positive) of the G1 do you disagree with?  I found it to be quite accurate in my test-drive.

Besides... It wasn't just them.  Gizmodo (which is CERTAINLY not an apple fanboy site), Boy Genius Report, and GDGT all largely agreed on the major points.  The HTC G1 is a great phone, and is vastly superior to most Windows Mobile phones out currently, but the story is all about what Android promises, but doesn't necessarily deliver on in the current implementation.  Apple delivers in many of these regards with current shipping hardware and software (but certainly not in other ways).

Will this change in 1-2 years?  Probably.  But Apple isn't going to hold still either.  We will see.

Pages: [1]   Go Up