Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

POLL: Would you consider the JRiver Synapse (a PC to TV connection device)?

<< < (3/11) > >>

JimH:

--- Quote from: glynor on December 23, 2008, 03:54:30 pm ---Handheld Support:  You might not like this, I know...  However, you really need some hook that will provide value over a TiVo or cable-company provided DVR as a selling point and since MC has such prowess for music playback... I really think the best opportunity for this (combined with the DVR support) is to support automatic compression and conversion for handheld playback.  
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the feedback, Ed.  MC does convert video now when syncing with a PSP or iPod or compatible.  I'm not sure it currently works with our TV recording, but it will.  I believe it's fair use.

glynor:

--- Quote from: JimH on December 23, 2008, 04:04:45 pm ---Thanks for the feedback, Ed.  MC does convert video now when syncing with a PSP or iPod or compatible.  I'm not sure it currently works with our TV recording, but it will.  I believe it's fair use.

--- End quote ---

I know.  Currently it does work pretty well but it is a bit "twitchy" to get set up properly (esoterically named options and conversion settings).  For it to have set-top like ease-of-use, it really needs to be a simple "check a box to sync this show to your iPod" (and a one-time pop-up select your device dialog).

JimH:

--- Quote from: glynor on December 23, 2008, 04:12:26 pm ---I know.  Currently it does work pretty well but it is a bit "twitchy" to get set up properly (esoterically named options and conversion settings).  For it to have set-top like ease-of-use, it really needs to be a simple "check a box to sync this show to your iPod" (and a one-time pop-up select your device dialog).

--- End quote ---
If MC can identify the device, it should choose appropriate settings for it.  This is automatic.  The user should only have to drag a video to the device in the Action Window.  I'm sure there are devices where we've neglected to set the conversion.

For a device MC doesn't recognize, you must choose Options/Handhelds/Conversion/Video and select a conversion type.  I don't think that's avoidable.

glynor:
It's been a while since I set it up.  Perhaps I need to check it again for specific feedback.

EDIT: Either way, I'd still say this is a good way to go.

rpalmer68:
I'm just setting up a new room now and somethiung like this could be really helpful as space is limited.

In terms of tuners, I woud have thought using USB tuners could be better as those of us in the DVB-T world won't make use of anythig inbuilt for the US market.

For my current setup I use two dedicated PCs in my two rooms both running MC off a central library (both read-only).

I use a generic remote with the usb-uirt on one and Netremote on the main htpc.

My main htpc runs webscheduler for TV scheduling recording to a share that both PC's can access.

I have 4 tuners on the main htpc and 1 tuner on the second PC just for live TV playback.

Main htpc has blu-ray drive and PowerDVD, other PC just a normal DVD drive.

I'd also agree with Ralf that a few extra functions from Theater View are needed, EPG, and Burn CD/DVDs being big ones for me.

Richard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version